Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wait for T7 Hybrid?

That is the expectation, particularly with the move to self driving cars. The car can drive itself to you, and then back to base when you've finished your hire. Those hitchhiking guys with number plates under their arms will be a thing of the past.

The idea is that you'll hire the specific vehicle you need for your specific journey. You'll just take a ride, so won't have to worry about familiarising yourself with the specifics of the vehicle.

It all sounds completely horrible, and it will be coming sooner than you think.
Unless ALL vehicles were replaced with autonomous self driving vehicles in one go I just cannot see how such a vehicle would cope with some of the plonkers on the roads nowadays.
Use on special designated roadways, yes, but on the general road network in real world conditions.?
Any autonomous vehicle will give way to someone forcing their way in front and emergency brake even though the vehicle is travelling at the same speed and crossing to an inside lane. Just imagine the situation behind.

No, has to be all or none, or special roadways. We could call them road-lines in memory of railway lines.

Unless ALL vehicles were replaced with autonomous self driving vehicles in one go I just cannot see how such a vehicle would cope with some of the plonkers on the roads nowadays.
Use on special designated roadways, yes, but on the general road network in real world conditions.?
Any autonomous vehicle will give way to someone forcing their way in front and emergency brake even though the vehicle is travelling at the same speed and crossing to an inside lane. Just imagine the situation behind.

No, has to be all or none, or special roadways. We could call them road-lines in memory of railway lines.
The nut holding the wheel will be the limiting factor in this brave new world.

That's a thought! Your new Cali can drive itself to a wonderful location all by itself, stay a week and send you a selection of lovely photographs while you stay at home or work then drive itself back! o_O

This sounds a little like the old joke about the ‘the Irish’ forcing all cars to swap sides of the road on next Monday. If it’s a success, they are going to ask the same of the lorry’s the following Monday!

The situation I outlined is exactly what the car companies are already working on, and it will be a little by little introduction. If they are wrong (and I share your concerns), they are wasting billions on unnecessary market research and tech.

I was looking at changing my Cali this year but whilst at dealer on Friday he possibly put me off as he said they are expecting the T7 Hybrid to launch in early 2020. Armed with this information I did some more research and there is a lot of information to suggest this is true.

Is it worth waiting for the Hybrid or shall I chance another diesel ?
From what I understand, hybrids are economical on urban driving. If most driving is long distance, as I guess the case is for many California owners, the savings would not be that good.

From what I understand, hybrids are economical on urban driving. If most driving is long distance, as I guess the case is for many California owners, the savings would not be that good.
Agree, but it is the “ urban “ trips that are problematic with regards to emissions. I don’t think cost savings are really a factor. If the Manufacturers want to sell then pricing of the vehicle will have to be realistic.

Don't shoot the messenger, copied from the Facebook group

"Annual Media Conference 2021 Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles.

New California model will be the T7 which will be a Hybrid Model. The new T7 model will be available only as a Multivan and California, the T6.1 will still be built as the Transporter.

The world Premiere for the New T7 June 2021.

The I.Buzz which we will see in 2022 will also come as a Campervan, no more details were given regarding battery range."

New California model will be the T7 which will be a Hybrid Model. The new T7 model will be available only as a Multivan and California, the T6.1 will still be built as the Transporter.

The I.Buzz which we will see in 2022 will also come as a Campervan, no more details were given regarding battery range."
I was at Citygate this morning and whilst waiting for the part I’d ordered, read a brochure on VW Electric vans. It didn’t mention a Hybrid but listed the range of near future electric vans as being 250 miles and battery life being 8 years.
I wonder how much heavier a hybrid California will be and what options will need to be sacrificed to keep the weight down?
Look forward to seeing it in June.

The t7 hybrid being presented will probably not be the California. The California will eventually be built on that platform but not yet. The t6.1 is staying alongside the t7 as the commercial model. Google it on autobild.de. Also this platform is shared with the sharan and caddy so it’s going to be a very different, smaller proposal. The screen shots look goddam ugly.
If I was going electric I’d probably go for the buzz over the t7 hybrid california

The t7 hybrid being presented will probably not be the California. The California will eventually be built on that platform but not yet. The t6.1 is staying alongside the t7 as the commercial model. Google it on autobild.de. Also this platform is shared with the sharan and caddy so it’s going to be a very different, smaller proposal. The screen shots look goddam ugly.
If I was going electric I’d probably go for the buzz over the t7 hybrid california

That's not my understanding, straight from VW Annual Media Conference 2021

My take here https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/t7-california-hybrid-to-be-presented-in-june-2021.39581/

Love the retro look of the Buzz, but will it be a big enough platform on which to build a camper?

Love the retro look of the Buzz, but will it be a big enough platform on which to build a camper?
Vw confirmed it will be coming as a camper.

They also mention autonomous driving in 2023 so we’ll see!

Whoever it was pondering to order a 6.1 specifically with a plan to sell it at a profit... May be re-evaluating that idea..

I've got my eye set on a T6.1 Ocean demonstrator which should be delivered to a dealership close to us relatively soon and honestly, seeing this presentation and especially the spy shots from the T7, gives me all the more confidence to buy the T6.1.
This image shows it best, in my eyes:
Volkswagen%20T7%20van-11.jpg

I can't really see the T7 being a step forward in terms of size and comfort as a California. Sure, it seems like it could be better suited as a shuttle than the T6.1 is, but that's not why I'm interested in a T6.1.
Purely on size, and possibly aesthetics, I'll take the T6.1 over the T7.

I agree. If those screenshots are right and what has been written about the California sharing the sharan and caddy platform then then there will be so many compromises as a camper. Imagine all the functionality of a t6.1 crammed into a sharan platform.

I was looking at changing my Cali this year but whilst at dealer on Friday he possibly put me off as he said they are expecting the T7 Hybrid to launch in early 2020. Armed with this information I did some more research and there is a lot of information to suggest this is true.

Is it worth waiting for the Hybrid or shall I chance another diesel ?
so it's now well into 2021, i would say the dealer has no idea what he's talking about as usual

Images of T5.1 released, people prefer the T5
Images of T6 released, people prefer the T5.1
Images of T6.1 released, people prefer the T6
Images of T7 released, people prefer the T6.1

Repeat!

No!
Images of T5.1 released, people prefer the T5.1
Images of T6.1 released, people prefer the T5.1
Images of T7 released, people prefer the T5.1

T5.1 is peak California!

Repeat!
I’m still preferring the looks of the T5.1 over all others, but I may be biased

@andyinluton as a noted fellow Dakar aficionado, I raise you a T5.1 with bi-colour Dakars.

I’ve been considering changing to a newer van, and possibly a T6.1 Beach Camper, but I so far haven’t been able to bring myself to it

@andyinluton what’s your experience been in moving from T5.1 to T6.1?

I like the appeal of a new vehicle, but not so much the cost of it and the cost of upgrades I would want to make in order to make it look similar to our T5.1

@andyinluton as a noted fellow Dakar aficionado, I raise you a T5.1 with bi-colour Dakars.

You mean like this? You will only ever see photos of this side as the other has a scraped front bumper, dented front wing, big dent by the fridge & lots of smaller dents in the bootlid. Its what happens when you park on building sites.
tempImageTxxXsj.png

Last edited:
@andyinluton what’s your experience been in moving from T5.1 to T6.1?

I like the appeal of a new vehicle, but not so much the cost of it and the cost of upgrades I would want to make in order to make it look similar to our T5.1

I'm considering going from T5.1 to a brand new Coast, my 'upgrade' cost is going to be around £15k.

I can't justify an Ocean as that would be around £21k which I don't see the value of.

Repeat!
I’m not so much concerned about the looks as the fact that it looks like it’s a dramatic change in platform from the transporters referenced above. Much smaller so a completely different camper really. Will have to wait and see in June though as hard to judge by the photos

@toeknee the VW presentation also referred to the T7 as a ‘paradigm shift’ from previous Transporters and also that the T7 isn’t a successor to the T6.1, but rather will co-exist alongside the T6.1. All very cryptic and we’ll need to wait and see, including what it makes for the Cali

Back