Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wait for T7 Hybrid?

@andyinluton what’s your experience been in moving from T5.1 to T6.1?

I like the appeal of a new vehicle, but not so much the cost of it and the cost of upgrades I would want to make in order to make it look similar to our T5.1

I love the new van.

My change was driven by a number of factors:
1. My car usage - along with many others has changed drastically in the last year or so & I cant see it ever changing back to what it was, Ive done about 5k miles in the last year across 3 cars a normal year it would have been more like 25k
2. My knees are shot so need an automatic for driving round London, currently have a rather expensive to keep Merc for that. Changing the van to auto means the Mercedes will go.
3. An auto means the wife will happily drive it.
4. I wanted LED headlights, have them on most of our other cars.
5. I wanted the electronic dashboard.
6. Emissions - I go inside what will be the extended London zone & didn't fancy paying.
7. I fancied a new van - 7 years with one vehicle for me is amazing, I'm normally bored after 12-18 months.
8. It looked like the right time to change - excellent trade in for a heavily discounted pre reg made the cost to change reasonable. I had thought about a new order but reckoned come September when the new van turned up the value of the old one may have dropped significantly & didn't want to miss any chance of getting away this summer.
9. Daughter nr 2 starts at Manchester uni in September, Ive already got one at Nottingham so I will be regularly pounding the motorways, this side of a Range Rover I cant think of anything I would rather do the miles in.
10. Theres lots of little changes, which whilst not much on their own add up to a different van.

The only thing I would say is that kitting it out has been expensive - new isotop, carpets, seat covers, bike rack etc all add up to a lot.

I'm considering going from T5.1 to a brand new Coast, my 'upgrade' cost is going to be around £15k.

I can't justify an Ocean as that would be around £21k which I don't see the value of.
By the time I had speced up the extras I wanted on a coast it came out almost the same figure.
There weren't any pre reg Coasts available so that was decision made for me.
In fact as the two things I had to have were 5th seat & towbar, & the vans do not come with the 3rd seat rail as standard anymore, I was left with a choice of one van in the uk.
The colour whilst not my first choice was acceptable ( and growing on me) so deal done. 4 day wait for collection.

By the time I had speced up the extras I wanted on a coast it came out almost the same figure.
There weren't any pre reg Coasts available so that was decision made for me.
In fact as the two things I had to have were 5th seat & towbar, & the vans do not come with the 3rd seat rail as standard anymore, I was left with a choice of one van in the uk.
The colour whilst not my first choice was acceptable ( and growing on me) so deal done. 4 day wait for collection.

If I could get a Demo now at a reasonable price I’d jump at it and sell mine now.

Problem is demo / new Calis that are in stock are way over the cost of spec’ing one new.

Example.

Ocean to my Spec. £60k Drive the Deal, deliver August.

Ocean ‘demos’ £70K

If I could get a Demo now at a reasonable price I’d jump at it and sell mine now.

Problem is demo / new Calis that are in stock are way over the cost of spec’ing one new.

Example.

Ocean to my Spec. £60k Drive the Deal, deliver August.

Ocean ‘demos’ £70K
The worry is then that August becomes September / October & what that does to the van you are selling.
Its no good saving £5k on the price of the new one if it means you get £10k less for the old one.

The worry is then that August becomes September / October & what that does to the van you are selling.
Its no good saving £5k on the price of the new one if it means you get £10k less for the old one.

Absolutely, that’s the dilemma!

Though the figures are the other way around. Think my Cali would be worth £5k less in October but I’d need to spend £10k more on one now.

I can’t justify the upgrade for £30k really.

Back