Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water leak in rear cupboard

S

SuperSquirrel

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hello everyone,

First post. Love the forums and information on here.

Our 2012 T5 Cali has developed a water leak at the top of the rear cupboard near the tailgate.

It only occurs when the roof is up in heavy rain.

I've seen lots of other posts about water leaks and the drains but they are mostly for the front ones.

The drains/gutters look to be running freely. Water runs down the drain and through the hole on the back.

However, the seal/bung does look a bit like it could do with replacing. It's a bit brown at the bottom and moves a little bit. So we are thinking it could be this. And water is getting in underneath it.

But we are struggling to know what to call the round black thing. Is it just a seal, or is it actually a tube that connects the roof to here? Does anyone have any idea of a part number? To get a replacement.

Thanks very much for your help.

PXL_20230718_093952636.jpg

PXL_20230718_093940046.jpg

PXL_20230718_093932826.jpg

The black round thing is called a "Grommet".

Hello everyone,

First post. Love the forums and information on here.

Our 2012 T5 Cali has developed a water leak at the top of the rear cupboard near the tailgate.

It only occurs when the roof is up in heavy rain.

I've seen lots of other posts about water leaks and the drains but they are mostly for the front ones.

The drains/gutters look to be running freely. Water runs down the drain and through the hole on the back.

However, the seal/bung does look a bit like it could do with replacing. It's a bit brown at the bottom and moves a little bit. So we are thinking it could be this. And water is getting in underneath it.

But we are struggling to know what to call the round black thing. Is it just a seal, or is it actually a tube that connects the roof to here? Does anyone have any idea of a part number? To get a replacement.

Thanks very much for your help.

View attachment 111472

View attachment 111473

View attachment 111474
Looks like it's called a drain tube and appears to be in 3 parts

see
parts 21, 4 and 19
1689689827181.png

Looking at the diagram looks like it drains out, so it could be the tube (part 4) is detached or degraded and that is where the water comes in. Sure another T5 owner will have had the same issue.

Thanks very much for the speedy responses.
Extremely helpful.
I'll look at getting the 3 drain tube parts.

The connecting tube is the same internal bore as cold water fill pipe for washing machines/dishwashers if you have one lying around. I know because both of mine had been removed by the previous owner to allow cable routing, which was interesting the first time it rained with the roof elevated.
The grommet end in your photos pulls off fairly easily so you can check the condition of the connecting tube. That might be all you need to change, and it is fairly straightforward.

Great, thanks very much. Hopefully it's just the connecting tube.