Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water Pump keeps running without any tap open

Hi Alan
I have finally had my NEW tap fitted in my GC 680 in the UK.

After three of the original taps failed. I have now had the NEW tap fitted by my VW Dealer in Swansea.

Fingers crossed that this is the end of the troubles with this issue that has plagued so many of the Grand California owners.

Photos of my THE NEW TAP

View attachment 92993View attachment 92994View attachment 92995View attachment 92996View attachment 92997

A special thank you to Bart for alerting me to the developments on the German Forum. The UK VW Executive Office responded very positively when I referred them to the information from the German Forum.

Thank you to all the other contributors to this thread for sharing this issue and I hope you all get your troublesome taps changed.

Alan
Hi Alan,

Thanks for your update much appreciated. Hope all work well and no issues. Soak it.

And a big thanks to Bart for alerting us, mine is in for replacement in 2 weeks time.

Bart saw one of your members down at lands end in Cornwall today.

Will

Last edited:
Mine was in today for a few issues at Glasgow. They were very good and sympathetic to the GC owners and the issues they seem to have. Although nothing could be done they were proactive. Ordered a new fridge (always on full power. Apparently there may be a fix for the problem but new fridge ordered anyway).
New step. Apparently needs new step and software update.
New tap. Not had any issues with mine but never use it to avoid problems. They agreed it was best just to get it ordered.

Sadly all parts on back order but they are hopeful that they will be in within a month or so.

With regards to the 4 year warranty and service. Is it 4 annual services or 4 services as required or any services required during the four years as the van lets you know? Dealership was not sure what the script with it was.

Now if I can only find out where the squeak that sounds like a budgie on speed is coming from. The thought of a trip to the south of France with that incessant squeak is filling me with fear.

Hi Alan

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your update much appreciated. Hope all work well and no issues. Soak it.

And a big thanks to Bart for alerting us, mine is in for replacement in 2 weeks time.

Bart saw one of your members down at lands end in Cornwall today.

Will
Hi Will,
last week we returned from our first test trip . I wrote you a pm in the German forum.
it is out of topic here, anyway here it is:
We are just back from our first "longer" stay ,14 days test holiday in our GC600.
We drove to the south of France and stayed there for a couple of days .
Driving in the GC was great( even on small steep and winding roads) , very comfortable and much more relaxed than in our California T5.1 with manual gear. Just what you said.
It was a test drive and everything worked well. No problems and we are very happy with it.
Now we will make some improvements like a smaller table etc.
(I just ordered a smaller table)
And make plans for the next trips.

Bart
p.s I still have the original tap :( ..... we had no problems with it so far .....

Hi Will,
last week we returned from our first test trip . I wrote you a pm in the German forum.
it is out of topic here, anyway here it is:
We are just back from our first "longer" stay ,14 days test holiday in our GC600.
We drove to the south of France and stayed there for a couple of days .
Driving in the GC was great( even on small steep and winding roads) , very comfortable and much more relaxed than in our California T5.1 with manual gear. Just what you said.
It was a test drive and everything worked well. No problems and we are very happy with it.
Now we will make some improvements like a smaller table etc.
(I just ordered a smaller table)
And make plans for the next trips.

Bart
p.s I still have the original tap :( ..... we had no problems with it so far .....
Hi Bart sorry I missed it. I take it all when well on your trip and you have some great photos. Pleased your happy with the GC 600 and lives up to expectation. The tap have it changed when you can even though your careful it will still fail at sometime I’m sure.

Take care ,

Will

Had our new type kitchen tap fitted and did a 3 day trip last weekend with no problems. It is a much neater fit and the pressure seems better too. After problems since day one and 3 replacement taps (same faulty ones) it was a joy to not have any issues! Hope everyone manages to get there's sorted soon!

Hi, I ran into a problem with GC600 (early 2020). The waterpump keeps running even without any tap open.

Checked the fuse - It's ok. When I put I back, it starts running again.

Check the outdoor shower, it is turned off.

I opened the water tank; the pump is (logically) got. But no symptoms of anything wrong.

Any idea what to look for?
Many thanks.
Morning,
Wondering if any of you can help? We are staying in Suffolk this weekend, our water has stopped working. Toilet and both bathroom and kitchen taps - nothing! Grateful for any advice? Thanks.

Morning,
Wondering if any of you can help? We are staying in Suffolk this weekend, our water has stopped working. Toilet and both bathroom and kitchen taps - nothing! Grateful for any advice? Thanks.
The common point is the pump. There is only 1 pump.
Check for a blown fuse. I believe there are some GC fuse diagrams in the forum Resource section.
If the fuse is blown change it. If it blows again then new pump probably required.

Morning,
Check you've actually got water on board still.
Theres a frost protection valve on the heater that opens if it gets down to 4 degrees. If you didn't have the heating on last night is it possible it got cold enough for that to open?

The common point is the pump. There is only 1 pump.
Check for a blown fuse. I believe there are some GC fuse diagrams in the forum Resource section.
If the fuse is blown change it. If it blows again then new pump probably required.
Thank you. Very helpful advice re: fuse diagram, I was amazed the GC manual did not include a detailed fuse diagram! I will let you know how I get on.

Check you've actually got water on board still.
Theres a frost protection valve on the heater that opens if it gets down to 4 degrees. If you didn't have the heating on last night is it possible it got cold enough for that to open?
Thank you - Out for a walk at the moment, will check on our return.

Thank you. Very helpful advice re: fuse diagram, I was amazed the GC manual did not include a detailed fuse diagram! I will let you know how I get on.
Welcome to the ”fuseless” club. It does seem crazy not to supply a fuse diagram!

When I asked the dealer for a fuse diagram he said there isn’t one as they are all different!!

CFB6664D-6E7E-4B69-AAE5-1AFD8ACBABF6.jpeg

Welcome to the ”fuseless” club. It does seem crazy not to supply a fuse diagram!
Thank you to everyone for your advice. The fresh water, for some reason, had dumped and the tank was empty. I turned the blue switch located in the cupboard below the 2 passenger bench seat on and off again. Then refilled the tank and the taps/pump are now working fine. Thanks again.

I wonder how VW’s withholding this information sits with recent European rules on making consumer products serviceable? Seems like a fairly essential piece of information.
Its not really withheld as such, just appears not be be published in the manual, which I agree is odd but perhaps there is something in the builds varying over time. You can download all the specific information on your van including fuses via the Erwin site. You put in your vehicle VIN to access specific info as well as all the generic information. I’ve found it a fantastic resource both for my current GC600 and previous Ocean. Unfortunately it has a paywall, EUR 7 for an hour, but you can download and save everything during your sesssion.

Its not really withheld as such, just appears not be be published in the manual, which I agree is odd but perhaps there is something in the builds varying over time. You can download all the specific information on your van including fuses via the Erwin site. You put in your vehicle VIN to access specific info as well as all the generic information. I’ve found it a fantastic resource both for my current GC600 and previous Ocean. Unfortunately it has a paywall, EUR 7 for an hour, but you can download and save everything during your sesssion.

Am I correct to think you have to pay to access the data?

Back