Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water Pump keeps running without any tap open

Hi. Just to update you. Sadly we have to hand back our GC680 4x4 to the VW dealer. They could not guarantee that the software updates would fix the problems we have had and there were no clear solutions for the tap/water pump issues. So we had a brief window to either decide to return the van or keep it and struggle on. Gutted to have returned it as it was our dream but it’s an expensive van and should work in fundamental areas. Now we are without a van with long wait lists but we are just going to draw breath and decide what to do next over the coming weeks/months.
That's such a shame. May I ask when you purchased your van as Im seeing many more problems in the earlier vans.

Fingers crossed. Our new tap lasted 4 days/3 nights before it went again and randomly triggered the water pump without the tap being on. I think the posts are really useful. It does sound like the tap microchip getting wet. I think we have been unlucky as even our Truma boiler failed and had to be replaced…..
Unfortunately our third tap failed on a one night trip end January. (Total of 3 days use only). Back on to VW to ask what they are going to do next? It is just unacceptable. The kitchen drawer is now not fitting properly because it has been in and out so many times. Sorry you have decided to send yours back but completely understand. We are pushing VW to sort it out at the moment rather than doing a DIY fix, which none of us should have to do!

Best wishes
Linda

Unfortunately our third tap failed on a one night trip end January. (Total of 3 days use only). Back on to VW to ask what they are going to do next? It is just unacceptable. The kitchen drawer is now not fitting properly because it has been in and out so many times. Sorry you have decided to send yours back but completely understand. We are pushing VW to sort it out at the moment rather than doing a DIY fix, which none of us should have to do!

Best wishes
Linda
The trouble is VW dealers are just that, dealers (independent). They get paid for replacing whole parts. They are not interested in really solving problems as they are paid every time you take your vehicle in whether it's by VW head office or you.

Replacing a tap with an identical part is not going to solve the issue long-term. Have you tried taking a tap apart and widening the microswitch and also sealing the tap properly so it doesn't get water ingress? I fear otherwise you're always going to get the same issue eventually.

So I found an easy fix to the kitchen tap issue. All that’s needed is a Stanley knife and a 2mm Allen key.

On the tap use the knife to pop out the red blue cap. This will reveal a 2mm Allen key. Remove that and remove both the chrome tap and the chrome surround. This reveals the micro switch. You’ll find that due to the flex in the metal the switch doesn’t fully close. Put the knife blade between the two switch parts and prize them apart 2mm. The tap will then work again. Put back together in reverse order.
View attachment 85804

View attachment 85805
This is genius!

We had this happen to us when we first got our GC 600. It was so new to us I didn’t know which fuse to pull and ended up draining the water. The VW dealer knew nothing and could barely advise which fuse we should pull in future (of course it happened on a Sunday!).

I’ve just applied this hack / fix as it’s very clear from the water staining that water is getting in and I could believe some moisture on contacts too close together (and thy are) is likely one cause. It’s also likely that the copper strip that separates the contacts bends over time resulting in the problem manifesting.

I feel much “safer” carrying a 2mm Allen key and screw driver!

I had this problem with my first tap. Fixed it following Bendwg's advice but then a new tap arrived and was fitted and what do you know three months later the same problem. We had been careful not to get water too near the tap ( slightly ridiculous position to be in) so this weeks job is to follow (again) Bendwg's instructions and this time not to request a new tap from VW ( again slightly ridiculous position to be in).

Same problem here. Also our dealer in Hasselt replaced the tap with the same model. Of course it didn't solve the issue and we spent again 2 weeks pulling in and out the fuse during a trip in Spain. I now placed a switch. Will also try the Bendwg solution. It is against all logic that a user has to solve this kind of problem on a brand new vehicle. I think we should organize a meet-up with all of us at VW's headquarters to comfront them with this problem and their unwillingness to solve this.

I thought, if I add a switch, I better take the coolest one from our local electronics shop. See picture :cool:

(before we bought our GC600 we rented one from the dealer for 1 week and got the rent refunded when we ordered ours. Guess what? The rented van also had the tap problem. Back then I thought it was caused by the reservoir almost being empty. I know better now)

switch.jpg

This thread about faulty taps on the GC 680 and GC 600 has been going on for ten months. It seems that we exchange tales of woe and have practical suggestions of temporary DIY fixes, BUT the problem is that the tap is not fit for purpose.
I'm on my third tap and have no confidence that this will not be faulty.
Has anybody got experience of collating a list of owners who have had this problem so that factual data can be presented to VW so that a coordinated lobbying campaign can be organised to have a recall of the taps and a replacement with a different tap that is fit for purpose.
Can 'vwcaliforniaclub' organise a campaign?

This thread about faulty taps on the GC 680 and GC 600 has been going on for ten months. It seems that we exchange tales of woe and have practical suggestions of temporary DIY fixes, BUT the problem is that the tap is not fit for purpose.
I'm on my third tap and have no confidence that this will not be faulty.
Has anybody got experience of collating a list of owners who have had this problem so that factual data can be presented to VW so that a coordinated lobbying campaign can be organised to have a recall of the taps and a replacement with a different tap that is fit for purpose.
Can 'vwcaliforniaclub' organise a campaign?
Great idea, cant do it myself but it needs someone who knows how to press the right buttons to put in place a poll, ie like What colour is your van. “But has your GC tap failed” or words to that effect.

Hello,

Water tap replacement with a "water proof switch" tap :

I have the information below from the German VW forum and I hope it is true.

Here in short form :
At last Vw had addressed the issue of water tap:bananadance2
From Dec 2021 all GC will be equipped with a new Reich Water Tap
This tap now has an encapsulated switch (water proof).
The only disadvantage for GC before 2021 (we:confused: ) is that a replacement with the new tap needs a larger hole in the sink .
Dometec provides VW with a complete new kitchen sink therefore.

The whole information about this issue is written here from #32 .
Google translate will help you .

No guaranty this information is correct.

Bart

Hello,

Water tap replacement with a "water proof switch" tap :

I have the information below from the German VW forum and I hope it is true.

Here in short form :
At last Vw had addressed the issue of water tap:bananadance2
From Dec 2021 all GC will be equipped with a new Reich Water Tap
This tap now has an encapsulated switch (water proof).
The only disadvantage for GC before 2021 (we:confused: ) is that a replacement with the new tap needs a larger hole in the sink .
Dometec provides VW with a complete new kitchen sink therefore.

The whole information about this issue is written here from #32 .
Google translate will help you .

No guaranty this information is correct.

Bart
Hi Bart, this is interesting to read and potentially good news.
When my new GC order gets delivered (soon I hope) I will share the tap info unless anyone else beats me to it!

Hello Bart,
Thank you for the information. The german website gives a glimmer of hope that the problem might be resolved soon.

Please keep me updated.

Reghards

Alan

Hello Bart,
Thank you for the information. The german website gives a glimmer of hope that the problem might be resolved soon.

Please keep me updated.

Reghards

Alan
latest update from the German member :

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Today, my friendly workshop gets in touch.
The technical info from Wolfsburg has already answered after less than 7 hours.
It is as a replacement from now on only the new armature Model Twist from Reich the supply number 575-043030 Matt Chrome installed as a spare part.

I will let you know the current VW part number later.
The "spare part" is currently not available.... so wait and see.
This fitting is also installed in my WoWA Tabbert Vivaldi. Was also already defective. Chrome flaked off.

In new GC's in Poland, they use the new sink from Dometic.
There is then the hole 33mm and the seat of the fitting further to the sink - center.

In replacements, the VW workshop must remove the sink (loosen gas connections!),
then re-drill and reinstall with the replacement fitting.
And a gas test, carry out?
This work is done under warranty. ( I have a year extension)
Anyone who is out of warranty should apply for a goodwill warranty and may be professionally served.
So no sink will be installed in exchange. I had the info directly from the supplier.
Thanks for the tip on the control unit.
The faucet switch reports through the special control unit (KFG) in the front behind the glove box.
A TPI number of VWN, is not known to me so far. Hopefully I will find out.
I keep you up to date, as it goes on.

so far the latest update :)
Bart

latest update from the German member :

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Today, my friendly workshop gets in touch.
The technical info from Wolfsburg has already answered after less than 7 hours.
It is as a replacement from now on only the new armature Model Twist from Reich the supply number 575-043030 Matt Chrome installed as a spare part.

I will let you know the current VW part number later.
The "spare part" is currently not available.... so wait and see.
This fitting is also installed in my WoWA Tabbert Vivaldi. Was also already defective. Chrome flaked off.

In new GC's in Poland, they use the new sink from Dometic.
There is then the hole 33mm and the seat of the fitting further to the sink - center.

In replacements, the VW workshop must remove the sink (loosen gas connections!),
then re-drill and reinstall with the replacement fitting.
And a gas test, carry out?
This work is done under warranty. ( I have a year extension)
Anyone who is out of warranty should apply for a goodwill warranty and may be professionally served.
So no sink will be installed in exchange. I had the info directly from the supplier.
Thanks for the tip on the control unit.
The faucet switch reports through the special control unit (KFG) in the front behind the glove box.
A TPI number of VWN, is not known to me so far. Hopefully I will find out.
I keep you up to date, as it goes on.

so far the latest update :)
Bart
Good news ,
one member of the German forum had his tap already replaced.

here his (translated) text:

VW has solved the problem of the water tap. Good things come to those who wait...!
The new tap was delivered this week. It is now available as a spare part. (ask your dealer for the part number)
Under no circumstances should you have the original one installed after a defect (continuous running pump)!
All vehicles after approx. Jan.22 should already have this new tap...?
Unfortunately, it is NOT the Reich tap originally announced in matt, but in bright chrome.
The tap is larger, just fits the space in the sink.
The sink was dismantled, or partially dismantled, and the hole in the sink was widened.
The gas line was also disconnected and reconnected.
The TPI (VW factory repair manual) says to check the gas system!
My VW workshop can't do that itself. So now I have to go to a gas test (TÜV or Dekra or GTÜ) and VW will pay the costs.
(which suits me fine, because it's due in 06 anyway).
Attached is a photo of the "conversion". You can look up the exact type at Reich.
All those who have a warranty should have the part replaced.
There may even be a recall as part of the usual maintenance work.

VW will probably replace the tap after the warranty period as a gesture of goodwill.

Link to the German info#40
If you are not a member of the German forum you probably can't see the pictures.

Bart

Good news ,
one member of the German forum had his tap already replaced.

here his (translated) text:

VW has solved the problem of the water tap. Good things come to those who wait...!
The new tap was delivered this week. It is now available as a spare part. (ask your dealer for the part number)
Under no circumstances should you have the original one installed after a defect (continuous running pump)!
All vehicles after approx. Jan.22 should already have this new tap...?
Unfortunately, it is NOT the Reich tap originally announced in matt, but in bright chrome.
The tap is larger, just fits the space in the sink.
The sink was dismantled, or partially dismantled, and the hole in the sink was widened.
The gas line was also disconnected and reconnected.
The TPI (VW factory repair manual) says to check the gas system!
My VW workshop can't do that itself. So now I have to go to a gas test (TÜV or Dekra or GTÜ) and VW will pay the costs.
(which suits me fine, because it's due in 06 anyway).
Attached is a photo of the "conversion". You can look up the exact type at Reich.
All those who have a warranty should have the part replaced.
There may even be a recall as part of the usual maintenance work.

VW will probably replace the tap after the warranty period as a gesture of goodwill.

Link to the German info#40
If you are not a member of the German forum you probably can't see the pictures.

Bart
..and here the pictures of the new installed tap..

1160447666_GrCalifWaHaNeu1.jpeg.0a8abbeae8bfab3f2d6de5a1173bee42.jpeg

1262343017_GrCaliforniaWaHaNeu2.jpeg.22569b54828b56e7997cb1f67cfe9f4b.jpeg

Hello,

I contacted my VW dealer in Dublin to see what is available in Ireland. I can't wait what they will say.

It seems that during the installation the gas pipes have to be disconnected. I am sure VW won't be happy that I changed to LPG bottles. But that might be another issue for the future.

I will post updates on the "Ireland Cali Chat" because I believe there will be (slight) differences with implementing the new tap based on warranty (especially if it is labour intensive) between Ireland and the UK.

Regards,
Eberhard

After finally getting referred to the VW Executive Office UK early March I was informed that a 'permanent fix' was being worked on and should be ready soon.
Yesterday I was informed that it has finally happened!! My GC680 will be going in shortly for this 'fix' and I will post the outcome.

Let's hope this will finally be 'it'

Linda

After finally getting referred to the VW Executive Office UK early March I was informed that a 'permanent fix' was being worked on and should be ready soon.
Yesterday I was informed that it has finally happened!! My GC680 will be going in shortly for this 'fix' and I will post the outcome.

Let's hope this will finally be 'it'

Linda
Mine is on the 24th

Has solved the problem with strong clear tape that can withstand water. Sticky on top of handle.

I have finally had my NEW tap fitted in my GC 680 in the UK.

After three of the original taps failed. I have now had the NEW tap fitted by my VW Dealer in Swansea.

Fingers crossed that this is the end of the troubles with this issue that has plagued so many of the Grand California owners.

Photos of my THE NEW TAP

tempImagewDBvjh.pngtempImageCwVTGh.pngtempImageUrbMAl.pngtempImage06Id3r.pngtempImageMoXzdZ.png

A special thank you to Bart for alerting me to the developments on the German Forum. The UK VW Executive Office responded very positively when I referred them to the information from the German Forum.

Thank you to all the other contributors to this thread for sharing this issue and I hope you all get your troublesome taps changed.

Alan

I have finally had my NEW tap fitted in my GC 680 in the UK.

After three of the original taps failed. I have now had the NEW tap fitted by my VW Dealer in Swansea.

Fingers crossed that this is the end of the troubles with this issue that has plagued so many of the Grand California owners.

Photos of my THE NEW TAP

View attachment 92993View attachment 92994View attachment 92995View attachment 92996View attachment 92997

A special thank you to Bart for alerting me to the developments on the German Forum. The UK VW Executive Office responded very positively when I referred them to the information from the German Forum.

Thank you to all the other contributors to this thread for sharing this issue and I hope you all get your troublesome taps changed.

Alan
That’s great, hope it performs better than the original.
How long did they have it in to do the replacement?

That’s great, hope it performs better than the original.
How long did they have it in to do the replacement?
It was the first time they had fitted the new tap. They had to enlarge the tap hole in the sink, which required disconnecting the gas supply to the sink/hob unit. Then they had to have a certified gas check when the work was complete. I left the GC with them for a couple of days.

Back