Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water Pump keeps running without any tap open

honzapav

honzapav

Vehicle
Grand California 600
Hi, I ran into a problem with GC600 (early 2020). The waterpump keeps running even without any tap open.

Checked the fuse - It's ok. When I put I back, it starts running again.

Check the outdoor shower, it is turned off.

I opened the water tank; the pump is (logically) got. But no symptoms of anything wrong.

Any idea what to look for?
Many thanks.

I had a previous issue with the sink tap. I thought it was the pump . Ordered a new one from Amazon . Made myself a special tool to remove the very tight lid on top of the water tank . Only to find it was the tap itself.

so ordered a tap from the club shop.

I was a bit loathed to tamper with the wiring and a little bit of forward thinking ... (how would I get the tap to work if the switch was broken while I was away)

i bought some waterproof motorcycle wire connectors and a rocker switch . Using the same sets of style cable connectors on the new tap I made a matching connector but this time to the rocker switch .

so normally the turn the tap it sends water from pump. If it breaks again. I disconnect the tap connection . Reconnect the bypass rocker switch , open the tap which would only be a valve then ... operate the rocker . That’s it .

Hi, I ran into a problem with GC600 (early 2020). The waterpump keeps running even without any tap open.

Checked the fuse - It's ok. When I put I back, it starts running again.

Check the outdoor shower, it is turned off.

I opened the water tank; the pump is (logically) got. But no symptoms of anything wrong.

Any idea what to look for?
Many thanks.
It’s probably the micro switch in the tap or the pump itself it’s a known issue but apparently resolved after March 2020. Best remove the fuse second one in from the end in the electrical cabinet.

It’s probably the micro switch in the tap or the pump itself it’s a known issue but apparently resolved after March 2020. Best remove the fuse second one in from the end in the electrical cabinet.
Yes, this is the only thing that helps . I will contact the dealer.

Thanks for the help, guys.
H.

Yes, this is the only thing that helps . I will contact the dealer.

Thanks for the help, guys.
H.
Hope you get it solved quickly. If you find out the source of the issue, please post on here.

My guess would be that the contacts in the tap micro switch have welded themselves together. I and others have fitted a relay in the circuit to overcome the problem. There should be some details if you do a search.... “tap relay” maybe. Assuming it’s a similar arrangement to the T5!

I have had this same problem with the water pump remaining on erratically - appeared to be connected to the kitchen tap. Removed the middle drawer to get access to the switch connecter and disconnected the switch on the kitchen tap - pump is now off and need a new tap switch!

I have had this same problem with the water pump remaining on erratically - appeared to be connected to the kitchen tap. Removed the middle drawer to get access to the switch connecter and disconnected the switch on the kitchen tap - pump is now off and need a new tap switch!
Just need to take the fuse out. Electric cupboard second fuse in from left.

A new tap is fairly easy to install, like everyone says remove the fuse first. Then from right hand side of cupboard follow pipe work you will see the electrical connection. It should be wrapped up with insulation.

after disconnecting the power and water pipe. Undo and reinstall new tap .

We did exactly the same half through our holiday in Wales last week kitchen tap wouldn't switch pump off. Disconnected behind middle drawer and now booked in to VW to get a replacement tap as definitely the switch. Shower tap remained working perfectly. So many having this problem :(

Has anyone fitted a different style tap to combat this? Reading on the Caliboard.de that some people have had the tap replaced by VW only for the problem to come back a few weeks later. The issue seems to be that the tap design draws in a small a amount of water that shorts the microswitch sending a signal to the pump.

Has anyone fitted a different style tap to combat this? Reading on the Caliboard.de that some people have had the tap replaced by VW only for the problem to come back a few weeks later. The issue seems to be that the tap design draws in a small a amount of water that shorts the microswitch sending a signal to the pump.
Hi. Took ours in to VW yesterday and of course it worked for them as it's intermittent but I had taken a video of it not turning off so they have ordered a new switch but very interested to read your message and will now tell them about this. VW really need to sort it as too many people having this problem. Our GC was ordered early September so should have missed the dodgy pre March batch discussed on this site. Will post how it goes. Many thanks.

Hi. Took ours in to VW yesterday and of course it worked for them as it's intermittent but I had taken a video of it not turning off so they have ordered a new switch but very interested to read your message and will now tell them about this. VW really need to sort it as too many people having this problem. Our GC was ordered early September so should have missed the dodgy pre March batch discussed on this site. Will post how it goes. Many thanks.
https://www.caliboard.de/topic/21082-bericht-nach-4-monaten-grand-califorina-600/page/5/ in case you want to read for yourself.

Hello,
I'm on my first trip out in our GC680. The tap started playing up last night. The pump was running when the tap was off. Did you manage to get your tap replaced? How long did it take?

Just need to take the fuse out. Electric cupboard second fuse in from left.
Hello Jester,
I'm in Bridport at the moment and the tap/pump problem started last night. Can you recommend a VW dealer in the area where I can get the tap changed?

Hello,
I'm on my first trip out in our GC680. The tap started playing up last night. The pump was running when the tap was off. Did you manage to get your tap replaced? How long did it take?
Hello
Took ours in to VW Didcot/Milton two weeks ago and they have ordered a replacement tap/switch which is on 'back order' with no ETA. Totally unsatisfactory given this is very well documented problem. We have friends with a Cali Ocean one year old and they are on their 3rd replacement.
So no kitchen tap at the moment. :((
Will keep you informed.

Best wishes
Linda

Mine still ok at the moment but being cautious as away for 4 weeks so keeping water off the tap ie micro switch.

Ah so water getting outside in? I thought it was leaking from inside somehow as it came through the unit.
Initially whilst only using it on the drive briefly during lockdown we noticed it didn't always switch off but then would if you pulled it up/down a couple of times but as soon as we went away for a weekend, then a week it got much worse with more use.
Let us know how it goes on your 4 week trip!

Ok will do, 9 times out of 10 it’s corrosion in t
Ah so water getting outside in? I thought it was leaking from inside somehow as it came through the unit.
Initially whilst only using it on the drive briefly during lockdown we noticed it didn't always switch off but then would if you pulled it up/down a couple of times but as soon as we went away for a weekend, then a week it got much worse with more use.
Let us know how it goes on your 4 week trip!
Hi Linda, will do re trip.
9 times out of 10 it’s the tap micro switch that’s the problem.
I try hard not to get the tap wet as corrosion builds up at that point and the problem begins.

The tap microswitch is switching a fairly large current to turn on the tap so the contact can burn and cause issues so it's best to fit a relay then the tap microswitch just turns the low current relay on/off and the relay turns on/off the high current pump. See the VWCC Forum for details...
Post in thread 'Tap issues' https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/tap-issues.29780/post-363905

Hello
Took ours in to VW Didcot/Milton two weeks ago and they have ordered a replacement tap/switch which is on 'back order' with no ETA. Totally unsatisfactory given this is very well documented problem. We have friends with a Cali Ocean one year old and they are on their 3rd replacement.
So no kitchen tap at the moment. :((
Will keep you informed.

Best wishes
Linda
Hello Linda,
Thanks for the update. It seems disappointing that VW haven't got the issue sorted. I'll keep you posted if I get anything resolved.
Alan

Sadly not resolved. I have a 2021 plate that's doing the same. It's the crappy microswitches in the tap that's the issue. They leak a little bit of water and then corrode sending a false signal to the pump.

Sadly not resolved. I have a 2021 plate that's doing the same. It's the crappy microswitches in the tap that's the issue. They leak a little bit of water and then corrode sending a false signal to the pump.
Sorry to hear probably will have the same issue at some stage myself, I just try to keep the tap dry, not easy for you of course. VW really need to address this soon. One member returned his GC because of this And a full refund.

Back