Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water Pump keeps running without any tap open

Thanks to everyone for their advice. Very reassuring to have this input. Will post how things go this week at VW.
Linda

I think you will find there is a clip holding the connector together. I would be very surprised if it didn’t have a clip and just trying to pull it apart with pliers probably won’t work.
This correct. Is very small grey lock clip must careful gentle removaling. When is ring gone away, you can pulling blue connectors and is they release grip you pipe and can separate go opposite way.

So I found an easy fix to the kitchen tap issue. All that’s needed is a Stanley knife and a 2mm Allen key.

On the tap use the knife to pop out the red blue cap. This will reveal a 2mm Allen key. Remove that and remove both the chrome tap and the chrome surround. This reveals the micro switch. You’ll find that due to the flex in the metal the switch doesn’t fully close. Put the knife blade between the two switch parts and prize them apart 2mm. The tap will then work again. Put back together in reverse order.
99FF1FB6-7882-492C-A68E-F72019401B4F.jpeg

F736E202-E907-472F-9457-D9AADE34BDD0.png

So I found an easy fix to the kitchen tap issue. All that’s needed is a Stanley knife and a 2mm Allen key.

On the tap use the knife to pop out the red blue cap. This will reveal a 2mm Allen key. Remove that and remove both the chrome tap and the chrome surround. This reveals the micro switch. You’ll find that due to the flex in the metal the switch doesn’t fully close. Put the knife blade between the two switch parts and prize them apart 2mm. The tap will then work again. Put back together in reverse order.
View attachment 85804

View attachment 85805
Hi Bengwg

Interesting. Thank you for posting.
Our 680 is with VW again and despite all my videos of the pump remaining on after kitchen tap useage, or pump coming on randomly VW support are suggesting a 3rd new tap as the solution. The second fitted early July failed within two days. Why??

Hi Bengwg

Interesting. Thank you for posting.
Our 680 is with VW again and despite all my videos of the pump remaining on after kitchen tap useage, or pump coming on randomly VW support are suggesting a 3rd new tap as the solution. The second fitted early July failed within two days. Why??
Linda, it’s a 5 minute fix and simple to do. I think most taps will do this as it’s simply the switch plates are to close that they can arc causing the pump to stay on.

on the side, the second tap also had the same problem as the first ... I ended up taking it apart, and I slightly removed the copper strips above in the photo, because they were completely touching! now the problem is solved! Everything works well!

76DEB7D8-BAAC-4814-90C5-4E18CC35CEED.jpeg

I copped one of the other members and wired a switch in to turn it off when it keeps running. It’s the best solution until a replacement tap is sourced.

image.jpg

on the side, the second tap also had the same problem as the first ... I ended up taking it apart, and I slightly removed the copper strips above in the photo, because they were completely touching! now the problem is solved! Everything works well!

View attachment 86127
Hi. Is there any update on this? I have had a replacement tap but it failed again shortly after installation. I also wrote to Motorhome Monthly Magazine but they hadn’t heard of these issues although they published the email and their response. I have emailed VW this week to reject the vehicle unless they can fix the water pump/tap issue and the software issue (panel keeps freezing). It’s all very dull.

Hi. Is there any update on this? I have had a replacement tap but it failed again shortly after installation. I also wrote to Motorhome Monthly Magazine but they hadn’t heard of these issues although they published the email and their response. I have emailed VW this week to reject the vehicle unless they can fix the water pump/tap issue and the software issue (panel keeps freezing). It’s all very dull.
Hi

We had our second replacement tap in November and on a 2 night trip we used the sink all the time and washed absolutely everything in it twice just waiting for it to play up and it didn't. On previous trips it would have faulted in that time. Told our dealer and VW Customer Services I want our case left open until we have chance to do a longer trip to make sure. But the first replacement faulted immediately (as did the original) so looking hopeful. Perhaps they have finally fixed the problem?
Luckily we haven't had any other problems with the Van yet. We didn't get many extras so that helps I think!!

Linda

Hi

We had our second replacement tap in November and on a 2 night trip we used the sink all the time and washed absolutely everything in it twice just waiting for it to play up and it didn't. On previous trips it would have faulted in that time. Told our dealer and VW Customer Services I want our case left open until we have chance to do a longer trip to make sure. But the first replacement faulted immediately (as did the original) so looking hopeful. Perhaps they have finally fixed the problem?
Luckily we haven't had any other problems with the Van yet. We didn't get many extras so that helps I think!!

Linda
Fingers crossed. Our new tap lasted 4 days/3 nights before it went again and randomly triggered the water pump without the tap being on. I think the posts are really useful. It does sound like the tap microchip getting wet. I think we have been unlucky as even our Truma boiler failed and had to be replaced…..

Fingers crossed. Our new tap lasted 4 days/3 nights before it went again and randomly triggered the water pump without the tap being on. I think the posts are really useful. It does sound like the tap microchip getting wet. I think we have been unlucky as even our Truma boiler failed and had to be replaced…..
Hi Spruzy

Sorry to hear about your issues but for the rest of us pleased it’s reported to VW CC hopefully it will filter back to Germany. Out of interest was the tap replaced with the same spec tap.

Will

Hi Spruzy

Sorry to hear about your issues but for the rest of us pleased it’s reported to VW CC hopefully it will filter back to Germany. Out of interest was the tap replaced with the same spec tap.

Will
Yes it was. Straight replacement but failed after 3 nights….,

Thanks for the reply just that I understood that due to all the failures that they had changed the spec

Thanks for the reply just that I understood that due to all the failures that they had changed the spec
VW knew about the issues way back to the pre-production model and still failed to resolve the problem come production. Pretty poor IMO

VW knew about the issues way back to the pre-production model and still failed to resolve the problem come production. Pretty poor IMO
Agree just don’t understand why they have not acted upon this issue.

1. VW don't make the Taps, they buy them in.
2. If there is a fault then the supplier pays for the replacement tap and a labour charge to VW to replace it.
3. The supplier probably sell many of the taps to many companies and it really depends on the overall % of failures as to if it is more economical to redesign the tap or just replace the faulty taps. The cost of a warranty replacement is probably included in the contract price charged to VW.

1. VW don't make the Taps, they buy them in.
2. If there is a fault then the supplier pays for the replacement tap and a labour charge to VW to replace it.
3. The supplier probably sell many of the taps to many companies and it really depends on the overall % of failures as to if it is more economical to redesign the tap or just replace the faulty taps. The cost of a warranty replacement is probably included in the contract price charged to VW.
Hi WG.
Agree with all but missing is the buggeration factor for the customer as all above has no real impact on VW. The current tap/pump is not fit for purpose.

As customers we all need to be more vocal regardless of California.

Hi WG.
Agree with all but missing is the buggeration factor for the customer as all above has no real impact on VW. The current tap/pump is not fit for purpose.

As customers we all need to be more vocal regardless of California.
The trouble is VW are not going to be bothered until their sales are damaged and despite rotting roofs and leaking windows, which have been problems for years, we keep handing over the cash!

The trouble is VW are not going to be bothered until their sales are damaged and despite rotting roofs and leaking windows, which have been problems for years, we keep handing over the cash!
Agree wholeheartedly and Very true but unlikely to happen. Not even the fact a lot Of members have returned their GC’s due to this particular issue and other.

IMO it’s a great van but really could do with a bit more refinement like others in a lower price bracket.

I believe it’s expensive because it’s pegged against the other California offerings

Don’t get me wrong I loved my T6 when I had it but it was overly priced.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, sorry for loooong silence. To be honest, I still haven't got the answer I would be happy with. In the meantime, I also changed a service company because of unclear communication around repairs (also I wanted another opinion).

In my case, the problem wasn't related to the tap or the pump itself. This and several other issues (the light in a shower was turning on without any trigger or turning on the water pump by locking the car – yes, really...) were related to a low or drained battery. I cannot give you a detailed explanation but I was told that when the battery is drained (it happened to us accidentally), it causes failures in how the "software" in the car manages the appliances.

I have also met several GC owners who have similarly weird electricity-related issues, e.g. when they were running AC on an electricity network with low amps.

So the software was updated several times and there were also several factory updates. Currently, we don't have any issues. I also plan to add a solar panel (third-party, because we got our GC without the one from the factory) to prevent low battery.

Hi. Just to update you. Sadly we have to hand back our GC680 4x4 to the VW dealer. They could not guarantee that the software updates would fix the problems we have had and there were no clear solutions for the tap/water pump issues. So we had a brief window to either decide to return the van or keep it and struggle on. Gutted to have returned it as it was our dream but it’s an expensive van and should work in fundamental areas. Now we are without a van with long wait lists but we are just going to draw breath and decide what to do next over the coming weeks/months.

I copped one of the other members and wired a switch in to turn it off when it keeps running. It’s the best solution until a replacement tap is sourced.

View attachment 86165
Wonder who could have suggested that ;/. Shame we have to resort to it but every van should come with that. I hate these microswitches. Prone to failure!

Back