Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Weight and loading capacity

Sliding the bench forward & putting flooring in the boot over the axle would give a pretty good weight distribution.

Emptied of all the camping gear and bench/bed etc, had 1ton pack of brick through the side door wasn't a problem was only 200kg over technical weight, no worse than Bob the Builder

I once loaded approx. 500 kg of bags of sand and concrete in the boot.
Plus 2 adults at the front. The mudflaps were scraping the ground when getting off the parking. There was about 10 cm asphalt taken off due to road works.
That 3000 kg is a theoretically value. As long as you don't overweight by 100's of kgs, there is no real issue.
The only problem would be the springs at the rear. Once they reach their limits, the van becomes unstable.
Just don't do that all the time. But for one time for a short mileage, no problem.

Thread Resurrection!
Has anybody weighted an empty T5/T6 SE or Ocean , fwd or 4M, and would be kind to share the actual measurements for Front and Rear Axels?

I once loaded approx. 500 kg of bags of sand and concrete in the boot.
Plus 2 adults at the front. The mudflaps were scraping the ground when getting off the parking. There was about 10 cm asphalt taken off due to road works.
That 3000 kg is a theoretically value. As long as you don't overweight by 100's of kgs, there is no real issue.
The only problem would be the springs at the rear. Once they reach their limits, the van becomes unstable.
Just don't do that all the time. But for one time for a short mileage, no problem.
Being overweight is illegal and technically invalidate the Insurance.
Nothing theoretical about the maximum weight shown on the Chassis/Vin plate.

Being overweight is illegal and technically invalidate the Insurance.

I guess that is a big deterrent.

I wish that other road traffic offences, such as speeding, invalidated insurance, allowing insurers to pursue law breakers for third party claims paid out to innocent victims.

not sure how it is in the UK, but in Germany for example the fines are not so high. But Austria and Italy are tough in that with fines running in the thousands of Euros, and charging for the disposal of the extra weight that needs to be removed to allow you to proceed.
That's why I think it is useful to know total weight but especially the weight distribution between the two axles.
I have made a list of absolute everything that i carry in my Cali, and I have just 75kg to spare, considering It's just me (70kg) and my 7yrs old (23kg) daughter...
The problem is that there is a tradeoff between the opposite: convenience of access and ideal weight distribution...
My Cali weights 2686kg according to the CoC.

This is a subject I've chosen to turn a blind eye to. This thread has rightly focused my attention to it.
We wild camp, so while travelling always try to keep the water tank as full as possible, plus carry an extra 10 litre container full of water. A lot of water! We also carry a spare gas cylinder, plus beer and wine.(survival kit). Always thought it looked like it needed T32 springs on the rear.
Our new van on order (no build date) is a T6.1 4Motion, so this is going exacerbate the problem due to it's less payload.
Think I'll have to pay more attention to this in the future.

In my motorhome days, I would see loads of them overloaded so much so they looked dangerous. We did get stopped once on A17 and thank God I was just under, but felt sick from the moment they stopped us. Now with our new (to me) campervan, we watch everything we load and before heading off (not done it yet because of this bloody virus) weigh the van. We did this every time with the old motorhome for peace of mind.

In my motorhome days, I would see loads of them overloaded so much so they looked dangerous. We did get stopped once on A17 and thank God I was just under, but felt sick from the moment they stopped us. Now with our new (to me) campervan, we watch everything we load and before heading off (not done it yet because of this bloody virus) weigh the van. We did this every time with the old motorhome for peace of mind.

When you say weigh the van, do you work backwards from the published base weight of the vehicle and then weigh everything you put in it or do you have a method of actually weighing the van when fully loaded?

I have to say, I am of the mindset of taking everything including the kitchen sink, so much so I was thinking of a roof box for the inflatable sports equipment too. I might have to rethink this now but it would be good to know how to check the weight when my Cali arrives next month. I guess a little trial and error to get it right.

When you say weigh the van, do you work backwards from the published base weight of the vehicle and then weigh everything you put in it or do you have a method of actually weighing the van when fully loaded?

I have to say, I am of the mindset of taking everything including the kitchen sink, so much so I was thinking of a roof box for the inflatable sports equipment too. I might have to rethink this now but it would be good to know how to check the weight when my Cali arrives next month. I guess a little trial and error to get it right.
Public Weighbridge?

Don’t know how your UK MOT works but here in Belgium my Cali was weight ithe first time it was registred and these numbers are on the papers that need to be in the verhicle. Then each year you need to go and have your verhicle checked (like MOT)
Could you please check the weight written in the CoC vs the weight in the registration papers in the vehicle ?
In Germany these values are not the same , with the CoC being the most accurate as it includes all the factory installed options, like trailer hitch, awning, spare wheel.

not sure how it is in the UK, but in Germany for example the fines are not so high. But Austria and Italy are tough in that with fines running in the thousands of Euros, and charging for the disposal of the extra weight that needs to be removed to allow you to proceed.
That's why I think it is useful to know total weight but especially the weight distribution between the two axles.
I have made a list of absolute everything that i carry in my Cali, and I have just 75kg to spare, considering It's just me (70kg) and my 7yrs old (23kg) daughter...
The problem is that there is a tradeoff between the opposite: convenience of access and ideal weight distribution...
My Cali weights 2686kg according to the CoC.
Fines can be pretty high in UK £300+ and similar problem where the vehicle is impounded until the excess weight is removed. Dumping your passengers may not be popular. You can't just leave any items and go they have to be 'disposed of' legally.

Axle weights are critical as it is quite possible to be within the 3,000kgs weight limit but to have an overloaded axle, especially the rear which is also illegal. A bit of weight redistribution can cure this and may not always get a fine for this depending on the how diplomatic you are and the 'mood' of the examiner.

Always put heavy items over or in front of the rear axle as you say.

One of the advantages of air suspension is that it never shows how loaded the Cali is due to the Auto-levelling. Not an excuse to overload.

Check the payload of the van , this is essentially the additional weight of passengers & luggage you can carry.

It’s best not to overload. If you have an accident and are found to be overloaded then it’s likely insurance / legal cover will be void (even if it didn’t contribute towards the accident). If you unlucky enough to injure or kill someone as a result then it could become a very serious matter resulting in a criminal record.

I would be extremely interested to see the weigh bridge tickets for an empty California, to see specifically which axle has spare capacity.

When we looked at one of the bigger burstner motorhomes, having a full tank of fuel and a driver meant the front axle was overloaded in an otherwise empty van, you needed to load the garage which hung out a long way behind the back wheels in order to counterbalance the front.
Further complicated by the chassis extensions being so flimsy that if you loaded the garage up you were likely to get kinks in the bodywork. Also the more weight you put at the back the less traction you had on the front.

For those that are nervous about how much weight they are carrying and can justify the cost Reich do weighing systems for vans & motorhomes. Not a lot for safety & peace of mind.

2 versions 1,000kgs max (yellow) and 1,500kgs max (orange). £185.51 & £203.45 from Ebay Seller.

Weighs one wheel at a time in a certain sequence. 10 minute job.

For those that are nervous about how much weight they are carrying and can justify the cost Reich do weighing systems for vans & motorhomes. Not a lot for safety & peace of mind.

2 versions 1,000kgs max (yellow) and 1,500kgs max (orange). £185.51 & £203.45 from Ebay Seller.

Weighs one wheel at a time in a certain sequence. 10 minute job.

yep, in german forums this german product received a ton of criticism for its inaccuracy. swings of up to 80kg during repeated consecutive weightings ..

This is a subject I've chosen to turn a blind eye to. This thread has rightly focused my attention to it.
We wild camp, so while travelling always try to keep the water tank as full as possible, plus carry an extra 10 litre container full of water. A lot of water! We also carry a spare gas cylinder, plus beer and wine.(survival kit). Always thought it looked like it needed T32 springs on the rear.
Our new van on order (no build date) is a T6.1 4Motion, so this is going exacerbate the problem due to it's less payload.
Think I'll have to pay more attention to this in the future.
Is it worth installing T32 springs?

No, because it won't change the rear axle weight.
It would only make sense if you could re-register the vehicle with increased gross weight to 3200-3300kg, justified by the upgraded rear springs and increased rear axle max load. You would need something around 1800kg on the rear axle, provided your wheels are also rated at 900kg each, with 103 load tyres...

Think that Cali has the T32 rear springs from previous reading.

MAD Springs & now VB do uprated rear springs, for levelling up and stability purposes not increasing the load capability.

yep, in german forums this german product received a ton of criticism for its inaccuracy. swings of up to 80kg during repeated consecutive weightings ..
Thanks.

I did find the tolerance as + or - 3%. which would keep within the usual UK legal criteria of 8>10% over being regarded as dangerous use.

Alternative systems would be well over £500

Last edited:
Thanks.

I did find the tolerance as + or - 3%. which would keep within the usual UK legal criteria of 8>10% over being regarded as dangerous use.

Alternative systems would be well over £500
agree. Which is the reason I resurrected the thread. The only accurate way it is to use a public weightbridge which has separate front/rear axle scales.
Or , if somebody has already done that, we could work out backwards where we stand in term of weights, by making a list of absolute everything we have in the van, weight everything up, and take into consideration where we load it in the van.
According to my Coc my weight is 2686kg, or 94kg less than in my registration, which make (sort of) sense as my additions from factory were spare wheel + bracket, Awning, trailer hitch, HD shocks.
A very similar kitted T5 Comfortline FWD was weighted at 1380 Front+1200 Rear, total 2580.
I reckon I am 100kg heavier just on the rear axle because of 4Motion. The numbers are somehow in line, hoping there weren't significant weight changes between T5 and T6.
This leads me for my Cali to an assumed rear axle weight of 1200+100= 1300kg. This should leave me 275kg payload on the rear. Let's call it 250kg.

***According to my Coc my weight is 2686kg, or 94kg less more than in my registration***

We're currently trying to decide whether to go for the 6.1 4Motion. A few heart stopping experiences on muddy slopes plus the possibility (probability?) of severe weather where we live in Shetland (along with
using the vehicle to launch from slipways) suggest it might be a sensible choice. But the payload (as per the current Cali brochure) is "only" 376kg. We'll be having a towbar fitted but other wise we'd only be travelling as a couple with an average amount of kit. (i.e. we wouldn't be carrying passengers plus kit). What would Cali friends estimate to be a reasonable payload for an average retired couple not given to excess?

APOLOGIES IF I SHOULD HAVE STARTED A FRESH THREAD.

The big weight items are people, bikes and awnings. For just two you shoukd be fine.

The payload already accounts for a 75kg driver, fuel and water tank.

You need to allow for the weight of the passenger say 75kg if towing, the nose weight of the trailer say 75kg clothes etc say 25kg each that still leaves you 176kg for food, bbq, pots & pans etc

Without using a bike rack or external box, you will run out of space before you run out of weight

Last edited:
andyinluton is correct regarding bikes (+rack) and awning.
But don't underestimate the small items as they add up quickly. Portapotti+ water, fire extinguisher, dringing water, 10kg of food/beverages in the fridge is easy to reach, cutlery and pots, sleeping bags or blanket, towels, toiletries.. you'll be surprised. We travel two people with bikes, extra fridge, awning, spare wheel, extra table, large and heavy awning carpet, tolls etc and we are withing the 3080kg .

Two key questions : how heavy is your boat+trailer, and will you be towing it on holiday ?

If the boat is heavy, you'll really need 4Motion especially on slippery...sleepways.
If you tow it with you on holiday, and boat + trailer are below 2500kg, you can store a lot of weight in the boat on the trailer, up to 2500kg provided your trailer allows for that.

Back