Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What am I missing

mikeelawson

mikeelawson

BOOMEL
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I am about to sign the bottom line on a vw calafornia ocean tommorow and am trying to keep price in order. I have a very decent price on a deal but one last check / advice before I sign. Attached is a list of the options I have selected, but is there anything (dur I wish someone had told me that!) That is missing. I look items like shower attachment and think there is a better option (like the USB charged pump I have seen)

Regards,

Mike

20200923_205259.jpg

Hi there; I’m also placing an order tomorrow!

Through my own research (mainly on this site- thanks guys) I would like to comment on a couple of items you have specified that I have NOT and why - this might save you some money...

Heated front windscreen - apparently a good blast with the aux heater clears the same in a reasonable amount of time

Discover ‘Pro’ - the standard Ocean Discover version MY21 now puts the map in the digital cockpit, has the gesture function and basic sign recognition is also included as is the app connectivity. Yes the screen is 1.5 inches bigger on the Pro - but then you also loose an analogue dial which you might like

Direct Tyre Pressure Monitors - the ocean includes standard tyre pressure monitors that detect deflation - this option measure to 0.1 PSI - I don’t know whether that level of detail is important to you

I would appreciate any comments to the contrary if anyone sees it differently - it could alter my spec choices!

Thanks, SB

IMHO delete the windscreen and get the
easy clean floor. Add 80 litre fuel tank. Enjoy!

I agree with above replies.

The VW heated windscreen is practically useless.

I've previously had a heated windscreen on a Ford and it was 10x better than what I now have on my T6 Ocean.

As others have said, it is more effective to turn everything up and blast it away.

Delete the storage pack, heated windscreen and tyre pressure monitor and get Led headlights. Storage pack is a tiny drawer and you can use the space to store stuff on the floor and as a load thru. The Heated windows are very slow and really don’t demist. It has a basic tyre pressure monitor as standard that works fine. Bed extension with comfort sleeping mat is also worthwhile.

Delete the storage pack, heated windscreen and tyre pressure monitor and get Led headlights. Storage pack is a tiny drawer and you can use the space to store stuff on the floor and as a load thru. The Heated windows are very slow and really don’t demist. It has a basic tyre pressure monitor as standard that works fine. Bed extension with comfort sleeping mat is also worthwhile.
LED headlights are standard on the T6.1 Ocean :thumb

The heated windscreen is defo a marmite option, mine works fine, the diesel night heater takes too long to defrost the front screen fully compared to the heated screen. Together they are perfect.

IMO if you live in a climate where cold weather and regular frost is an issue get the heated screen. Even for de misting when you have been outside in the rain and get in it’s great at de misting without heating the cab area.

Despite others reporting the wire causing issues, In bright sun etc, ( wires visible) I have never had an issue, I had a Ford where the wires were much more evident.

Remember, it’s your van, you spec it how you want and believe you’ll use it, your spending a lot of dosh, get what you want.

Agree with previous comments. We ordered last week. Opted for comfort mattress, shower attachment, 80 litre fuel tank, chrome pack, 4 keys, mudflaps, all weather tyres, plus diff lock and hill descent to compliment the 4MO.
Originally wanted the heated screen as had Fords many years ago with this and they were ace, but heard too many negative things about the VW one. Biggest thing to put me off was the distorted vision at night.
Didn’t go for Pro media as like physical volume button and the £670 option for 1.5 inches didn’t excite me! Was going to go for Lane Assist as we’ve got that on our Passat and it works quite well, but when we hired a 6.1 Ocean it was nowhere near as good. Were also interested in the vinyl floor option but we’ll fit Brandrup carpets anyway so didn’t feel it was worth the £500.
Hope that helps, but of course it’s up to you! Good luck!

To elaborate on the some of the (lower) cost options I have made and why...

80ltr fuel tank - cheap and useful addition, costs £85 and adds extra 10l capacity if planning proper road trips - you also don’t loose any other potential functionality by adding it

4 sets of keys - I picked this tip up here - and also have a learned experience, a new single VW replacement key is £275 for my current vehicle - vehicles are normally sold-on with two sets of keys. You can either afford to lose a set and/or place one or two sets strategically, and/or have the ability to create a “surf key” if that is of interest - cost is £120

Comfort Mattress - my understanding (and experience from T6 hires) is that the standard seat/bed is practically unusable as a bed (for most), the first level of comfort is to smooth the contours with the VW mattress- the rest you can add on depending on choice. My wife also insisted the van better be camping mode ready at the advertised price! Cost is £320. Much more as a dealer extra

Navy Blue Bellows - I fancied a darker sleeping compartment in the top to avoid (even) earlier campsite mornings than the grey/lighter bellows might offer - cost £310

Finally; If I was having 17” wheels as you are - I would also take the all weather tyre upgrade for £160 - if that suits your intended use

Hope that helps!

Good morning,

When I still was working, users asked me for the best laptop and best specification for it. I think this is so similar as the specification of a California - you ask 10x different people and you get 11x different answers and opinions.

We bought a demo model, so for us there was never this problem to get the best specification. If it is the first California the issue is that the new owner not necessarily knows what they need and what they would like to have.

A good example is the heated windscreen. I don't have them, but I would love to have it. I don't agree that a fogged up windscreen will be cleared quickly with a blast of the vehicles heating and aircon system. I never wipe a fogged up windscreen because it will leave streaks which are terrible at night and mean a proper cleaning of the windscreen is on order (I hate to do a full, proper cleaning of the wind screen).

Coming back to what I mentioned at the beginning, in the past I always asked the users what they need and what they expect of the laptop before I made recommendations. Maybe this is also a better approach for recommendations for specifications of a California. Is there more a "sporty" use of the van or a more adventures? Will it be a daily drive? Is it for a big family or a couple? Does the user want to keep the camper only for a few years and sell it on or a long term relationship ( :) ).

If I would be in a position to configure a new California I would be more of the "adventures" type of users. Which means that my configuration items would be different to what other buyers are interested in.

Happy California,
Eberhard

Excuse the newbie question. What is the bed extension? I am very tall and wondering if it makes the bed longer.

Excuse the newbie question. What is the bed extension? I am very tall and wondering if it makes the bed longer.
It's not actually a bed extension at all, it's just an extra mattress for the downstairs bed! VW's descriptions are a tad confusing!

Does anyone know whether blind spot indicators on wing mirrors are included as standard. The configurator doesn't show this

Good morning,

When I still was working, users asked me for the best laptop and best specification for it. I think this is so similar as the specification of a California - you ask 10x different people and you get 11x different answers and opinions.

We bought a demo model, so for us there was never this problem to get the best specification. If it is the first California the issue is that the new owner not necessarily knows what they need and what they would like to have.

A good example is the heated windscreen. I don't have them, but I would love to have it. I don't agree that a fogged up windscreen will be cleared quickly with a blast of the vehicles heating and aircon system. I never wipe a fogged up windscreen because it will leave streaks which are terrible at night and mean a proper cleaning of the windscreen is on order (I hate to do a full, proper cleaning of the wind screen).

Coming back to what I mentioned at the beginning, in the past I always asked the users what they need and what they expect of the laptop before I made recommendations. Maybe this is also a better approach for recommendations for specifications of a California. Is there more a "sporty" use of the van or a more adventures? Will it be a daily drive? Is it for a big family or a couple? Does the user want to keep the camper only for a few years and sell it on or a long term relationship ( :) ).

If I would be in a position to configure a new California I would be more of the "adventures" type of users. Which means that my configuration items would be different to what other buyers are interested in.

Happy California,
Eberhard
I agree, however it was interesting about the heated windscreen and tire pressure. Upon reflection I think the mattress and 80ltr tank is a better choice for my limited budget. I have chosen a campervan over a motorhome because it is better for my way of living (a day van with added advantages).

Hello Mikeelaswon,

I would always go for the 80 l tank. I am confident that I will cover a distance of around 900 - 950 km with one 70 l tank. With 80 l i am sure that would be enough for a distance of 1,000 km. Also, in the overall price picture the bigger tank is not that expensive.

The mattress is a very personal thing. We got the "mattress topper" with the camper. Maybe it is my age (or that I have problems with my back) I think that the VW mattress is not comfortable. It kills me! I got a air mattress which I put on top of this (actually, thinking about this. Why do I have both? Never thought about this. Mhh...). It could be that a mattress for the California from a third party might be more comfortable (also more expensive, but honestly it is worth to spend more to avoid to wake up several times during the night with a bad back or be totally tired the next morning).

But I can imagine that others will say that the VW mattress is super and they love it. How a new owner, configuring a new camper, will be able to judge what is better is beyond me.

Happy California,
Eberhard

VW "Side Assist" is listed as standard for Ocean, but not for Coast.

To elaborate on the some of the (lower) cost options I have made and why...

80ltr fuel tank - cheap and useful addition, costs £85 and adds extra 10l capacity if planning proper road trips - you also don’t loose any other potential functionality by adding it

4 sets of keys - I picked this tip up here - and also have a learned experience, a new single VW replacement key is £275 for my current vehicle - vehicles are normally sold-on with two sets of keys. You can either afford to lose a set and/or place one or two sets strategically, and/or have the ability to create a “surf key” if that is of interest - cost is £120

Comfort Mattress - my understanding (and experience from T6 hires) is that the standard seat/bed is practically unusable as a bed (for most), the first level of comfort is to smooth the contours with the VW mattress- the rest you can add on depending on choice. My wife also insisted the van better be camping mode ready at the advertised price! Cost is £320. Much more as a dealer extra

Navy Blue Bellows - I fancied a darker sleeping compartment in the top to avoid (even) earlier campsite mornings than the grey/lighter bellows might offer - cost £310

Finally; If I was having 17” wheels as you are - I would also take the all weather tyre upgrade for £160 - if that suits your intended use

Hope that helps!
£120 for a surf key ? i got one made for £12.

What is a surf key?
It’s a plain key (not electronic). Gets you into the vehicle if you loose your key. Timpsons do them for a few quid (but not sure these days). Some people would leave their electronic key in the van and keep a surf key in a pouch or in a secure box attached to the outside of the van whilst they were surfing.

It’s a plain key (not electronic). Gets you into the vehicle if you loose your key. Timpsons do them for a few quid (but not sure these days). Some people would leave their electronic key in the van and keep a surf key in a pouch or in a secure box attached to the outside of the van whilst they were surfing.
Ah, I see. Thanks for that :thumb

I wouldn’t mind leaving a key in the van, as long as I had a Ghost immobiliser fitted.

Hmm.. I wonder how your insurer would view your claim if your keys are in the van and is stolen.

Back