Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What Brake and Disc Pads Recommended.

california kid

california kid

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi All.

Just had an Interim Service and DSG service, T6 204 bhp 39000 thou on clock, advisory came back front and rear pads 80% used and rear discs slightly corroded. Main dealer prices way to high just under £900. Supply and Fit.
What are your thoughts on Brembo, Bosch or any other make.
Halfords 15% off at the moment but can only match the rear pads and discs with Brembo, Front pads Bosch .
Thank you in advance for any replies.

Alan

Zimmermann discs and Akebono carbon pads. Loved that combo on my Audi S4. Very low dust.

Hi Corradobrit.
Will check them out they sound expensive thank you for your reply

We got Pagid which I thought were VW recommended equipment.

I used RAC come to my house and do on the drive service for my Tiguan. Was 500 front and back, mid level pads and discs. Great service.

Thank you both for you comments, have been doing some research pads and discs approx £200; brake caliper tool £16 to £20 depends which type I choose and brake cleaner £5 . Have mot in August as not planning to do much mileage will wait till after mot .Thank you both again

If you have time then order from Autodoc. A lot cheaper. Dont forget about your stretch bolts

Im on Brembo now and no issues.

Interesting wear rate. I'm on my 3rd set of rears and 2nd on my fronts (big brake option). Rears only because I used VW discs last time and they are cack....

Changed the fronts at 53k as I noticed a degrade in braking power rather than pad wear. Sadly I cant remember how low these were but I dont typically run them down.

Make sure you have a 7mm

Cheers for the info pjm-84 I have been on looking on Autodocs web site today looks like a good price .
Thank you

Hi All.

Just had an Interim Service and DSG service, T6 204 bhp 39000 thou on clock, advisory came back front and rear pads 80% used and rear discs slightly corroded. Main dealer prices way to high just under £900. Supply and Fit.
What are your thoughts on Brembo, Bosch or any other make.
Halfords 15% off at the moment but can only match the rear pads and discs with Brembo, Front pads Bosch .
Thank you in advance for any replies.

Alan
I had Brembo discs and pads fitted by my local garage, way cheaper and also better than the original VW items

My rear discs and pads were changed at 35K miles, Front Discs and Pads still original at 56K miles, I would try Pagid or Bosch. Halfords don't stock anything anymore but source parts from Eurocarparts cheaper than eurocarparts sell themselves.
Wait until the warning light comes on the dash for brake pad wear and change pads as necessary. Middle of Lidl occasionally sells brake and clutch cleaner for £2.99. When you change the pads the "slight corrosion" will probably be removed by them.

Had negative experience with brembo general consumer products, twice the discs warped on my old 204. 1st time ok, strange, 2nd time hmm nope. Changed to ferodo discs and all good.

Thank you all for your replies very interesting different responses about different makes , will update when I decide which one I fit,

Had negative experience with brembo general consumer products, twice the discs warped on my old 204. 1st time ok, strange, 2nd time hmm nope. Changed to ferodo discs and all good.
Its interesting as I can't reconcile the principle of warped discs... I work in construction so have an understanding of forces / capacity / material strengths etc... i.e if discs warped than steel framed buildings would have collapsed a long time ago.

Anyway .....worth a read

Your avatar shows you (I presume?) on a mtb, and you didn’t know about bedding brakes in?
:rolleyes:

I bought Brembo rear discs and pads for my 204, and fitted myself. Happy with the quality and no issues.
I bought from Halfords (with home delivery), although they were far cheaper than Europarts the package was dispatched from Europarts!
I double checked the codes and sizes from the Brembo website because the Halfords website was quite poor. Also I had to buy a Pagid wear sensor as they did not stock the Brembo one, but they were all compatible.
If you are doing the job yourself don’t forget you will need a ‘wind back’ tool for the rear piston.

Also, forget to mention, you get good savings with a Halfords trade card. I’m a joiner by trade, but I was still able to apply.
Worth a look

Hi Ted.

Thank you for your reply, I bought a wind back tool this weekend, will be replacing in a couple of weeks, when checking on Halfords web site, found the same no front pads available but Pagid are , if you have read previous posts Autodoc have the lots . Will review prices closer the time would like to collect, as if any probs easier to return.
Thank you

Reactions: Ted
Also, forget to mention, you get good savings with a Halfords trade card. I’m a joiner by trade, but I was still able to apply.
Worth a look
Architecture and I still have a Halfords Trade card!

Reactions: Ted
Thank you all for your replies very interesting different responses about different makes , will update when I decide which one I fit,
Brembo for me.Much the same mileage 35,000 for rear due to corrosion and 54,000 front due to lip on outer edge, couple of mm above min thickness of 28mm for front discs and loss of braking efficiency when loaded.

Used this company (cannot get Brembo pads at moment) but disc prices attached.
Note additional discount of £30 if spending £150.

IMG_7412.pngIMG_7413.png

Points to note if DIY
1) 4x stretch bolts needed for front Calipers as few kits include them (£20 to £30)
2) Rear brake rewind tool
(Screwfix)
3) Torx M10 12 Splined drive (to remove front & rear disc retaining bolt)

Front disc and pad replacement video

Rear disc and pad replacement video NB T5 but little changed T6,T6.1

Last edited:
Cheers for the info Resfeber I have looked on GSF web site before , also understand re the caliper bolts, from the replies to my question, Brembo seam to have the vote

I changed mine all round a couple of weeks ago. Brembo. I’m very impressed with the performance now that they’ve bedded in. In addition to the 7mm Allen key/ socket for the rears, you will need a 9mm for the front pins.

For a guide I like the Haynes T5 manual. Interestingly i don’t think (!) it said to replace the calliper mount bolts. It’s quite a torque on the fronts: 180Nm and then a further 45 degrees.

Hi VincentVan.
Thank you for your reply, looks like Brembo for me also, picked up brake cleaner and ceramic grease today in anticipation,

I have Brembo power tools!

I chose Brembo as typically all the high end sports bikes have Brembo fitted as OEM.

Back