Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What can you leave on the top bed?

P

Pattacat

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
i know you can't leave a full set of bedding up there but can you get away with closing the roof with a mattress protector and a sheet on? Just thinking it could be a bit if a faff to get those on and off every day! Thx

i know you can't leave a full set of bedding up there but can you get away with closing the roof with a mattress protector and a sheet on? Just thinking it could be a bit if a faff to get those on and off every day! Thx
You can leave the mattress protector and sheet no problem - on the standard mattress

We have changed our mattress for another that is slightly thicker (+1cm) and we also have a thin top layer from IKEA. It fits, but that's about it. Don't be tempted, you risk dents in the roof or the seal does not close and you get water entering.

Some have a fold- or rollable topper (often with the Duva). You simply roll all your bedding together in tha topper. It is not that huge trouble, but it takes more space downstairs.

1" mattress with zonesleep and sheets no problem.

To Calikev:
Can you possibly comment (again) on leaving the Zonesleep in the roof? We exchanged messages about this a couple of years back and at the time you said you had successfully left your upstairs without damage to the roof.

Is this still the case?

I’ve never quite summoned up the courage to close my roof with the Zonesleep in place. But if you can confirm a successful long term trial, this would be a great improvement to our Cali routine.

Thanks

Mike

No!!!!!! I left the mattress protector up top ONCE and the roof slightly open whilst on the motorway. We immediately slowed down and pulled off the motorway. We held our breathe whilst the roof open, took the extra THIN mattress out and stop breathing until the roof closed securely. I leave the fitted mattress cover on and ONLY a top sheet with no duvet in it. I make sure it does not drop into the little gullet on either side. I lower the top box whilst y husband walks around the van during lowering making sure of the seal.

Carried my Daughter in Laws wedding dress, my sons wedding suit, my suit and my wife wedding outfit from UK to Florence and back. No problem, no creases.Perfect condition.:thumb

usually my wife leaves us with glasses and something else that then searches all day .... I enjoy a lot hahaha

We don't leave anything up there except the window mossy nets.

The roof locks down when it is fully closed, but if slightly open these locks do not engage, leaving it vulnerable to being blown open on the road, in addition to it leaking on you if driving through rain.

While in Scotland this year I saw two Calis within 24hours with the roof slightly open at the front.

One was a T6 at a services so had been on the motorway, and the other was a T5 on a site who lowered it fully before they left.

I just hope the owners of the T6 didn't find their roof was behind them by the time they got to their destination. Could be an expensive mistake.

Alan

I have experimented with different mattresses and combinations and discovered that the roof seal will not close fully if you have too much up there. Well, that is quite obvious, but what is tricky is that the roof looks like it is closed, and it is almost impossible to see the small gap between roof and rubber seal. But you can see it using a touch. And the gab is big enough for water to enter. So if you are tempted tu leave an extra topper or whatever up there, be aware that the seal is closed.

Can't see why i leave other than a sheet over the matrass ....
VW says to leave nothing up there so ,
and all things up there can not be reached when the need for stealth camp is there.

I have the ISO - TOP, it gives double walls for insulation, excellent in both summer and winter.

It stays in place when roof is closed, despite being quite bulky. It takes a bit of stuffing it up to fit behind the sliding roof, which now no longer opens while travelling. Along with that I leave a sheet on top of the original upstairs mattress.

Mind you, there was a wet day about six months ago where I found the whole front panel of roof wet inside, and couldn't find a reason for it. The roof seemed closed properly. I opened and re-closed the roof, found no problem with seal.

I was relieved when the wetness dried out fully without leaving any stain. Can't say that the ISO - TOP wasn't the cause of the leak, but it has never happened since. My Cali is my everyday and only vehicle.

If you look carefully at the roof you will see it Curves Upwards in the centre, so in fact there is more space in the Centre than on the sides.
I carry a 2 cm thick x 40 cm wide and approx: 1250 cm long shelf , that fits neatly across the open gap above the front seats when parked up, in the roof space, centrally.
I know the roof shuts properly because I slid the shelf in when the roof was down and locked in position.
The shelf stays centrally because the gap either side of the central area is less than 2 cms.

Good one WG.. useful place to have a shelf when parked up.. would also be useful at night to put things like glasses...keys...phone... eye drops ...remote control for tea robot....

the wife but not recommended

I realise this thread is a bit older and many things have been said about this, but I'm still wondering what, if any, stuff you can leave in the roof bed when closing the roof. The original mattrass seems to be 6cm in height. But I have seen -replacement- mattrasses (not toppers) of 6 cm, 7 cm and even 8 cm's high. In different forums I have read threads about this subject and people have commented that they do leave things up there. In our T4 we always had a toppermattrass and bedding rolled up in the back after waking up and transforming the bed back in to a bench.That takes up a lot of space. In the T5 we plan to sleep in the upstairs bed. The kids will sleep downstairs and don't need a topper. So if we'd be able to leave our bedding on the original mattrass or even on a thicker replacement mattrass, we would be winning a lot of packing space and would get rid of the hassle of taking the bedding down from the upstairs bed everytime we pack up and leave. But that means we must be able to leave a 6 or 7 cm mattrass op there and also a few more cm's for the bedding.Anyone ever tried it? Or is that really too much (of a risk)?

I realise this thread is a bit older and many things have been said about this, but I'm still wondering what, if any, stuff you can leave in the roof bed when closing the roof. The original mattrass seems to be 6cm in height. But I have seen -replacement- mattrasses (not toppers) of 6 cm, 7 cm and even 8 cm's high. In different forums I have read threads about this subject and people have commented that they do leave things up there. In our T4 we always had a toppermattrass and bedding rolled up in the back after waking up and transforming the bed back in to a bench.That takes up a lot of space. In the T5 we plan to sleep in the upstairs bed. The kids will sleep downstairs and don't need a topper. So if we'd be able to leave our bedding on the original mattrass or even on a thicker replacement mattrass, we would be winning a lot of packing space and would get rid of the hassle of taking the bedding down from the upstairs bed everytime we pack up and leave. But that means we must be able to leave a 6 or 7 cm mattrass op there and also a few more cm's for the bedding.Anyone ever tried it? Or is that really too much (of a risk)?
Risky. The roof has a curve. You can put your hand in on the centre line but not the edges and that is with the standard mattress.

Good one WG.. useful place to have a shelf when parked up.. would also be useful at night to put things like glasses...keys...phone... eye drops ...remote control for tea robot....
I do keep a shelf up there to fit across the front as we don't sleep up in the roof. Prefere a morning cuppa without getting up.:thumb