Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What constitutes a short journey?

Tarquers

Tarquers

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
While waiting for delivery of a new van, I am trying to do some crystal ball gazing and understand what is going to make the van last a long time.

My preference will be to use the van for most things but I do worry about the joys of DPFs and EGR and the effect of short journeys.

The question I am left with is to understand what is a “short” journey?

I would say about 8 miles, about 20 minutes driving, at around 40 mph.
I do that type of commute twice a day, so every 2-3 weeks I make sure van gets a good long run at 60-70 for an hour, there’s always somewhere I need to go...

While waiting for delivery of a new van, I am trying to do some crystal ball gazing and understand what is going to make the van last a long time.

My preference will be to use the van for most things but I do worry about the joys of DPFs and EGR and the effect of short journeys.

I'll be extending the warranty to 5 years for just under £400 and let VW worry about it ;)

As others have said, I try to avoid using the van if it isn't going to get a good run. During lock down this has meant it sitting there un-used for most of the time. When it does get used, I ensure the engine and oil get up to normal running temperature. Once up to temperature, I also try to give it a good blast for twenty minutes or so, usually down a dual carriageway, in a lower gear at around 2500/3000rpm. I was advised to do this every so often (once a monthish), by our dealer in order to keep the dpf in good order. It's supposed to raise the exhaust manifold temperature enough to help burn off sooty deposits thus helping to prevent the dpf clogging and failing prematurely. It does seem to help prevent re-gen happening too frequently.

I also usually only use super diesel which may or may not help. My thinking is that the cleaning aditives in those fuels may also help to keep the dpf cleaner. Unfortunately, I may have just opened a can of worms by even mentioning super diesel!

Last edited:

Everyone will have a different idea, our choice is never to use our Beach for under 20 miles.

I didn't think short journeys mattered providing they were combined with high speed loger journeys to clear the soot out.

Most of us do the 20-30 minute high speed journeys a couple of times a month, so you should be able to potter about quite nicely the rest of the time.

I hear where you are coming from, but surely your average Tradesperson uses the same engine to drive to the customers house in the morning, after stopping at the builders merchant en route. Then runs into a problem and pops back to the trade counter for additional supplies etc etc. I would have thought lots of Transporter engines get used for short trips. Not ideal, I realise, but real world use from the average chippy/builder/sparks could be made up of plenty of short journeys, I would have thought? No?

I hear where you are coming from, but surely your average Tradesperson uses the same engine to drive to the customers house in the morning, after stopping at the builders merchant en route. Then runs into a problem and pops back to the trade counter for additional supplies etc etc. I would have thought lots of Transporter engines get used for short trips. Not ideal, I realise, but real world use from the average chippy/builder/sparks could be made up of plenty of short journeys, I would have thought? No?
Iv been on commercial van forum groups, plenty of tradesmen have problems, that’s all van manufactures, so I do a good run every few weeks to burn it off

They are also properly hammered with regular Italian tune ups and driven very differently from your typical Cali!

Have the extended warranty chucked in, so hope for the best I guess. stop-start by the same token can’t help much, so I guess it’s wait and see. For me personally I would have chosen petrol if it was still an option. For that I will join @Borris on the naughty step no doubt!

wouldn’t worry about it

Short trips place more load on the battery engine, so might not get fully charged on a short run (as glow plugs need heating up & compression ratio uses more electicity).

Diesel is fuel efficient when the engine is heated fully, so you might not get it up to temp on a short run, so your mpg might drop a bit.

Have the extended warranty chucked in, so hope for the best I guess. stop-start by the same token can’t help much, so I guess it’s wait and see. For me personally I would have chosen petrol if it was still an option. For that I will join @Borris on the naughty step no doubt!
The main problem with short journeys is the DPF getting blocked with soot. and not being able to undergo a Regeneration Burn. A good run, with the engine upto temperature, will enable a DPF Regeneration.
But there is another way to keep an eye on the DPF soot levels.
Carista is an app that works with certain OBD connectors. Carista sell their own OBD connector.
Carista enables you to read Diagnostic Codes, make certain changes to the vehicle software BUT also measures DPF soot levels AND enables you to force a DPF Regeneration.

Read something about remapping the EGR out in posts from a couple of years ago. Any knowledge of this on the T6.1 150 engine? Something Carista can do?

Read something about remapping the EGR out in posts from a couple of years ago. Any knowledge of this on the T6.1 150 engine? Something Carista can do?
No, but I would be very wary of that with the emissions system on the T6.1

We don’t disagree with what you say, but for us our preference to use the car for short journeys. Then when we get into the Cali we know it’s a lovely day trip or a holiday. In normal circumstances we make sure we have a really good day out at least one weekly into Wales, Peak District or The Lakes. It’s not that the Cali can’t do short mileages we just choose not to.

My daughter recently bought an 11 month old, 9,000 mile Transporter from a VW dealer with the aim of doing a conversion; it had been used as a parts delivery van, and on getting it back to Cornwall it broke down twice with warning lights, having to call out the AA, over a week spent at a dealership etc. Eventually they decided the DPF was blocked, it wasn’t her fault and so replaced it free of charge. She now takes it on a decent run to enable the DPF regeneration.

My daughter recently bought an 11 month old, 9,000 mile Transporter from a VW dealer with the aim of doing a conversion; it had been used as a parts delivery van, and on getting it back to Cornwall it broke down twice with warning lights, having to call out the AA, over a week spent at a dealership etc. Eventually they decided the DPF was blocked, it wasn’t her fault and so replaced it free of charge. She now takes it on a decent run to enable the DPF regeneration.
That's the beauty of the Carista, you know the status of the DPF and when it needs regeneration.

That's the beauty of the Carista, you know the status of the DPF and when it needs regeneration.
I currently run a 2016 2.2 diesel Jeep, that will be making way for the Cali when it arrives. I am not a high mileage user (Even less so now working from home more than ever). I am familiar with the need for the regen when the DPF needs a clear out. So have been known to take it for a longer run when you know that 2 successive regens have been cut short (Fans spinning up after turning it off). So the Carista's ability to start a regen at a time of my choosing (i.e. when you know your planned journey suits it) sounds like a great idea. I assume that functionality only comes with the £45 annual subscription?

I currently run a 2016 2.2 diesel Jeep, that will be making way for the Cali when it arrives. I am not a high mileage user (Even less so now working from home more than ever). I am familiar with the need for the regen when the DPF needs a clear out. So have been known to take it for a longer run when you know that 2 successive regens have been cut short (Fans spinning up after turning it off). So the Carista's ability to start a regen at a time of my choosing (i.e. when you know your planned journey suits it) sounds like a great idea. I assume that functionality only comes with the £45 annual subscription?
I'm afraid so, but probably worth it in the long run. Also you can use it for various modifications, Automatic locking when a certain speed reached etc. There are other makes, Obdeleven etc; that work similarly but I'm not sure if they do the DPF.

I'm afraid so, but probably worth it in the long run. Also you can use it for various modifications, Automatic locking when a certain speed reached etc. There are other makes, Obdeleven etc; that work similarly but I'm not sure if they do the DPF.
Thanks very much

Have you noted the reading for soot level.
I had 9.6% on last check.
When in for remap they said it was 11% pre remap..

I haven't forced a regen as yet but noticed that Carista gave instructions to drive immediately for a certain time & speed/revs. need to do a check and write down the instructions.

MOT last week had " emissions too low to obtain a reading". I don't do short journeys in UK.

On a different point we ran my Wife's EOS on the high grade Diesel for 8 years from new then VW Fix done and the EGR fault came on the next day. VW replaced the EGR Valve with a 90% contribution. It was mainly a short journey car.

Back