Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What did you cook in your Ridge Monkey?

I love ours, it’s our to go to pan when we are cooking. The half with the sections is really useful for us as I don’t eat meat but can cook averything at once. Some of the best meals we have had!

So far, we have only cooked quite easy things in the RM, like toasted sandwiches etc.

Lidl/Aldi do potatoes in the fridge section that come in a box for about 85p - 3 different types, new potatoes in a herby butter, a sliced version in cheese, and sauté I think. These are brill as they keep for a while and you just empty the contents into the RM which only take 20 mins to cook and accompany your steak!

I also love doing Nachos in there. Layer up with cheese and get your dips out. Great snack and really quick.

Bought a Ridgemonkey from the club shop last week.
Been a bit boring and just done toasties, but it’s great to wake up and have a cup of tea and toastie :)

Breakfast is served...

3C836BBB-3F4B-4E4D-9F11-AC10271C30C0.jpeg

77301D08-420A-4DA1-B7B6-AA51AA2E479F.jpeg

Never would thought or felt the need to making toast or croques in the Cali.
But since having the RM we eat toast frequent in the morning while away
:thumb

Yes agree.
We were always happy with cereals and fruit in the morning with tea and coffee.

However, today we have woken up to a beautiful British summer morning with the rain coming down sideways.
It’s a happier start having a warm breakfast in these conditions ;)

I think the Ridge Monkey is my best Cali gadget, in winter there is nothing better than a toastie, we have tried loads of different combinations and we now have it spot on. We have also had some delicious pizza's in it

I bought a Ridge Monkey and we took it away with us for our long summer holiday. Turns out that it offers very little over a normal frying pan and a lid and frying pans are bigger. Waste of money IMO.

I bought a Ridge Monkey and we took it away with us for our long summer holiday. Turns out that it offers very little over a normal frying pan and a lid and frying pans are bigger. Waste of money IMO.

I would agree, if your pans would be square, you could remove the handles, you could flip them over for the tortillas, and they could contain rectangular envelopes... ;)
To me square items have just more useful surface for less storage volume. For the same reason I have my plates also square.

IMG_E2924.jpg IMG_E2982.jpg

Last edited:
I would agree, if your pans would be square, you could remove the handles, you could flip them over for the tortillas, and they could contain rectangular envelopes... ;)
To me square items have just more useful surface for less storage volume. For the same reason I have my plates also square.

View attachment 37891 View attachment 37890
Hi auberg,

I agree that square is more efficient.
We don’t have a Ridge Monkey yet. How does one remove the handles?

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

I cooked cheeseburgers in it last night.
Not sure I would do it again, a lot of fat came out of the burgers and they were kind of boiling in their own fat.
Might stick to the BBQ for that kind of stuff

I cooked cheeseburgers in it last night.
Not sure I would do it again, a lot of fat came out of the burgers and they were kind of boiling in their own fat.
Might stick to the BBQ for that kind of stuff
Yes, I did that once and forgot about the build up of fat and when I turned it over to cook the other side the fat went everywhere, good job I was cooking outside.

Hi auberg,

I agree that square is more efficient.
We don’t have a Ridge Monkey yet. How does one remove the handles?

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.
Gewoon, they have simple clips (new version). Enkel the trick to disconnect both pans needs a bit of practice.

We also did slices of pizza in ours at the weekend, i think we use ours every camping trip for one thing or another. It's also so nice to have toast in the morning

We also did slices of pizza in ours at the weekend, i think we use ours every camping trip for one thing or another. It's also so nice to have toast in the morning

We got a take away pizza when on the meet in Denmark last weekend .
As we did not eat all i used the RM to heat-up the leftovers the next day.
Worked out well
IMG_8903.JPG

And a nice breakfast:
Did the toast first
Meanwhile the egg in a other pan
Flipped the toast out and the beans only took a few min. to heat up
IMG_8832.JPG

Why is it different to a frying pan?!

In many ways it's not very different. But its integrated lid - which also doubles up as a saucepan - means you can turn the food over by turning the saucepan over. This can mean less splash and drip over the cooking area. It seems likely that the lid also increases the heat concentration(?)

I am looking at making a little video for the club channel about the ridge monkey, now rather than simply cook something (only have to watch @Auberg-ine 's amazing mussels to see how versatile it is) I thought I would throw it open to the club members. This thread is a fantastic example of what is possible with the ridgemonkey.

I really want to show off what the forum can do with these pans and I'd love to show all the great examples here. If anyone is willing to let me use some of their photos in a video with of course your name against it then please let me know. I won't use anything without permission so please get in touch if you are fine with it.

Why is it different to a frying pan?!

The RM is a nice thing to have but a pan can also do a lot of things the RM can....
But reading the comments and seeing pictures some things are easyer to make in a RM rather than in a normal pan.
I find it a good purchase and use it every trip , if not almost every day...

Back