Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What did you cook in your Ridge Monkey?

And of course for toast, using the version that splits into in effect two pans, using both burners, you can do twice the amount of toast at once - great if you’re hungry!

I do microwave rice with a couple of spoons of water. If you have 2 monkeys you can stack one on top of the other to keep the contents of the top one warm whilst the lower one cooks.

Last edited:
Brilliant for eggs.

Scrambled- cook half way through, turn off gas and with lid down will continue to cook.

Fried/poached egg hybrid - Tiny bit of oil, start cooking, when white starts to set add some water (hot is best), lift egg slightly so water goes under, put lid down and cook. Voila a flat ‘poached’ egg. Much quicker than normal poached, no scraggly bits and nice soft whites. Runny or hard yolks, your choice.

Flour and yogurt home made flat breads (loads of recipes on tinterweb). Really quick to make and cook. Light coating of oil/butter in monkey to cook. Open lid after a bit if you like really crispy.

Will be interesting. He’s very inventive.
Thx Elly, but I'm afraid Matt has very dated footage in the meantime and should definitely cross that old Channel again, to shoot the latest mods for his new channel.;)
Surprised that you found the Combi Monkey taking in too much space. Their compactness was exactly one of the reasons I bought them in the first place:
Auberg-ine RidgeMonkey.jpg

Last edited:
Depends what else you want the space for. My tefal ingenio fry pans can do the same job and much more (they fit into my Cobb grill/oven). Also they take less space as other pans stack in to them. The only thing they don’t have is compartments, but when I looked inside they weren’t as useful to me as I thought they’d be.

@Auberg-ine Yes sadly I had a hard drive failure and thought I had lost the van tour footage, but it looks as if it has been recovered by a expert friend of mine. So I could indeed get that out now. Although maybe it would be interesting to see how much you you have changed?

How is the boat organised now?

I absolutely love my large ridge monkey. If we are making mulitpul dishes they can be spread between the sections (I don’t eat meat but love fish) and the Spanish omelette has become a staple. Food pics attached C17D418C-29D4-4C90-BD0C-64183C684263.jpegA73FDCD6-FABB-48BC-B29D-E66E9B100454.jpeg15A8242F-0379-4551-B9DA-16F327591E1C.jpeg436A76D7-472C-4C21-B324-A11F9710C45D.jpegDF717D4C-7569-46E1-BA61-574BAE99C740.jpeg

They look absolutely delicious my mouth is watering and it's only 10:40am in the morning :oops:

So I tried the same recipe I use at home.

Mix 300g of warm water with a teaspoon of salt and a small amount of yeast (maybe 2g - I buy yeast in 42g pack and make around 30 small balls which I keep in the freezer).

Add 430g of flour (I use 300g of white flour and the rest any other flour). Mix well with a fork, since the dough is rather wet. Then cover airtight (lid or a plastic bag) and let it rest for 8-16h.

Then scoop the dough onto a work surface with some flour and - no kneading! - just fold the dough inside from all four sides and turn it over. Put the dough back in the bowl into which you added a spoon of oil. Let it rest covered for another 1-2h.

Now as I was baking the bread in Ridgemonkey, I cut the dough into 5 pieces (4 would be better) and put them in separate bowls. Then I heated the Ridgemonkey thoroughly, put the dough inside and it took about 15 min to bake each bun on medium heat - turning it regularly so it didn't burn.

It sound complicated, but it's really simple, just takes a lot of time.

When I'm baking bread in the oven - I put a cast iron pan in the oven and heat it to 230 C. When hot, I flop the dough into the pan, and bake it covered for 30 minutes, then I open the lid and let it bake for another 5 min.

If you're interested - I can try half the ingredients and try baking it in the Cali - I can let you know of the result. :)

So I tried the same recipe I use at home.

Mix 300g of warm water with a teaspoon of salt and a small amount of yeast (maybe 2g - I buy yeast in 42g pack and make around 30 small balls which I keep in the freezer).

Add 430g of flour (I use 300g of white flour and the rest any other flour). Mix well with a fork, since the dough is rather wet. Then cover airtight (lid or a plastic bag) and let it rest for 8-16h.

Then scoop the dough onto a work surface with some flour and - no kneading! - just fold the dough inside from all four sides and turn it over. Put the dough back in the bowl into which you added a spoon of oil. Let it rest covered for another 1-2h.

Now as I was baking the bread in Ridgemonkey, I cut the dough into 5 pieces (4 would be better) and put them in separate bowls. Then I heated the Ridgemonkey thoroughly, put the dough inside and it took about 15 min to bake each bun on medium heat - turning it regularly so it didn't burn.

It sound complicated, but it's really simple, just takes a lot of time.

When I'm baking bread in the oven - I put a cast iron pan in the oven and heat it to 230 C. When hot, I flop the dough into the pan, and bake it covered for 30 minutes, then I open the lid and let it bake for another 5 min.

If you're interested - I can try half the ingredients and try baking it in the Cali - I can let you know of the result. :)
Hey thanks for the reply! I think we have a similar bread making method - kneeding is much over rated! It’s great to know that bread making is possible in the Rm and yes it would be interesting to know how you get on in the Cali.

Fried/poached egg hybrid:
  • smear RM with a tiny bit of oil
  • heat pan a little
  • add eggs and wait for whites to start setting
  • add some hot water
  • close lid
The steam cooks them really quickly so be careful if you like a runny yolk.
Flat like a fried egg, but soft like poached. Hmm, yummy.

Back