Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What do you know that I don't about the california

CYCLOPATH

CYCLOPATH

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I have spent a week learning the many different features of my beautiful new van. I have trawled through the manual, the forum, and slept in the van every night.
So what now don't I know...my unknown unknowns .
What was the last thing you discovered about your van that you didn't even know you didn't know.

Found out about the heater unit in the boot!

Found out about the heater unit in the boot!
I new it was there but got my doubts on what Welshgas ( not calling him a liar but find it hard to belive) told about the water from the engine ....was thinking it was electric heated....
Need to sort thatone out.

Hotel, the heater is definitely from deisel, 0.3 litres an hour if on full.

A find I haven't seen mentioned it they welcome home lights
If, after you stop and take out the key, you pull the main beam lever for 1 second , the lights stay on for you to get into the house, even after you have locked the van...it also disables the beep that reminds you the lights are on.

Hotel, the heater is definitely from deisel, 0.3 litres an hour if on full.

We are not talking the external heather , operated by the control unit in front ,but the fan built in the booth area of the Cali witch is operated from the bench seat on top to the right . There is also the option of airco in the back space.....

now I am slightly confused
The heater and aircon in the back only comes on when you have the ignition on doesn't it
Does it then have its own aircon unit and its own electric heater,
Or does it have the heat and cold channeled from the front?

The rear heater in mine deffo works off the engine heated water because if I have it on the engine never gets to normal working temp on the journey to work, with it not on it gets to normal temp a lot quicker. Not climatronic or air con in the rear by the way.

There are 2 types of rear heating, so I gather.
1. Air Con- Manual - Air Con/Heat/Ambient in front but rear has Heat or Ambient or may have Air Con - it is unclear, but can be checked by looking at the top of the Air Con compressor L hand side of engine bay. 2 pipes - No rear Air Con, 4 pipes - Rear Air Con

2. Climatronic - Air Con/Heat/Ambient in front and Air Con/Heat or Ambient in Rear
In this case the Rear has a Hot Water Radiator/Matrix to warm the air + Air Con Heat exchanger. Air is taken from the vents Rear Right Boot cooled by the Air Con to dry it and then warmed to the desired temperature and comes out of the roof side vents and rear side window vents for demisting.
If in use on a humid day you will see a puddle near the R rear wheel - that is the water drain from the Air Con Heat exchanger. You also get a puddle at the front from the front Air Con Heat Exchanger.

I have spent a week learning the many different features of my beautiful new van. I have trawled through the manual, the forum, and slept in the van every night.
So what now don't I know...my unknown unknowns .
What was the last thing you discovered about your van that you didn't even know you didn't know.
I have discovered that reading the manuals is a cure for insomnia!

welshgas,
Mine is climatronic,
Is the rear heat water matrix heated by the van radiator, or is it heated by electricity.
When I stop, and put the rest button on, and the rear button, there is instant heat in the back, presumably from the engine

welshgas,
Mine is climatronic,
Is the rear heat water matrix heated by the van radiator, or is it heated by electricity.
When I stop, and put the rest button on, and the rear button, there is instant heat in the back, presumably from the engine
Heated by engine coolant system. Will continue providing heat for about 30 mins until coolant has been cooled to the temperature you have set. Then it will switch off.

Heated by engine coolant system. Will continue providing heat for about 30 mins until coolant has been cooled to the temperature you have set. Then it will switch off.

So where do the heat comes from on the rear fan ( in the booth ) if not having airco in the rear?
Mine has got the simple panel in the rear ...one turning knob for airspeed the other goes blue to red ( cold-warm)
I never use it but like to know more...
The panel next to it witch can hold the airco option is a blanc panel....
Got no vents in the roof above the fridge either.

You still have an engine coolant radiator to warm the incoming air if that is below the temperature selected. You just do not have the Air Con heat exchanger to cool the ambient air.

But you belive the hot coolant water goes to the back off the verhicle to warm the system....
Or does the system gets the air heated in front and then heated air goes to the back ...
Thats a whole diffrent story.

Hot water circulates to the rear, to a heater matrix. If you get a leak there then you can develope a mobile sauna in the back, hot with seriously fogged Windows.

Google Search.
vw t5 rear heater matrix images

So where do the heat comes from on the rear fan ( in the booth ) if not having airco in the rear?
Mine has got the simple panel in the rear ...one turning knob for airspeed the other goes blue to red ( cold-warm)
I never use it but like to know more...
The panel next to it witch can hold the airco option is a blanc panel....
Got no vents in the roof above the fridge either.

Our Cali has the same heater controls in the back on the right hand side panel above the side window which controls the air temperature. The outlet for the air is just above the step on the left hand side of the sliding door below the very difficult to get at cigarette lighter/power outlet.

AAAAAAGHHHH
Now my children will never see me!
And shows I hadn't mastered searching the forum.
Good job you never had a Cali earlier, your kids would never have existed! :D

The best thing that I discovered was in that ridiculous small space, a footprint less than that of a large limo, you could be more comfortable, more at ease, more warm, more entertained and feel more pampered than in all those luxury hotels that in my days as a travel writer used to pay me to stop in them.

Back to the OP...

It self destructs unless you enter the magic code into the user control panel.

Check your "info" in the settings menu, you will se how many days that you have left :shocked

Back