Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What essential accessories have you since ditched overboard?

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
So what accessories that you thought you couldn't do without, are now rarely if ever taken on trips away and why? We all have them gathering dust at the back of a cupboard or in the garage, so here's your opportunity to fess up.

Here's just a few of our personal collection to start the ball rolling:

1. Levelling ramps - They take up too much room and we've rarely needed them.
2. Thermal windscreen cover - We use the curtains that came with the van. They are quick and easy to use and don't need drying off after use.
3. Drive away awning - Rarely taken with us as it detracts from the spontaneous self contained Cali life style and TBH it's a pain in the @r$e.
4. Topper - Only used it once or twice and found it too much of a faff to fit. Now use a Cali Wrap when required.
5. That tin and wire gadget that you sit on top of the gas burner to toast bread. - It doesn't!

I could go on but I won't. :thumb

Took the other route - only buying what we wanted ... so have not had to ditch anything as yet ...

no no ... I lie ... now I remember - a small weather clock with temperature etc. Which I found as the most useless stuff that I have so far purchased. It went into the bin after 2 weeks.

1. Roof topper - used once, life's too short, if it's sub-zero wear bed socks.
2. Solar shower - like that was EVER going to get used.
3. Front screen curtains - we still use the side ones but for the front now just a cheap-and-cheerful internal sun blind that holds itself in place on springy wires and folds up in about 3 secs.
4. Stick-on spirit level (unlike Borris we do take a pair of ramps but only to stop Mrs VD's glass of Chateau Aldi sliding off the table).
5. Various BBQing paraphernalia. Now just throw something on the Cobb, slosh some wine or beer in the 'moat', wait 40 mins/whatever, and eat it.
6. Stuff for cleaning the Cobb. It'll keep until we get home but if it gets so grungy I can't close the lid meanwhile, just go to the pub.

So what accessories that you thought you couldn't do without, are now rarely if ever taken on trips away and why? We all have them gathering dust at the back of a cupboard or in the garage, so here's your opportunity to fess up.

2. Thermal windscreen cover - We use the curtains that came with the van. They are quick and easy to use and don't need drying off after use.
3. Drive away awning - Rarely taken with us as it detracts from the spontaneous self contained Cali life style and TBH it's a pain in the @r$e.
4. Topper - Only used it once or twice and found it too much of a faff to fit. Now use a Cali Wrap when required.
5. That tin and wire gadget that you sit on top of the gas burner to toast bread. - It doesn't!

Level ramps, agree, now you mention it only used the ramps 5 times in 600 nights, they are a nice to have as a last resort but good site selection, level bubble with odd flat rock often works fine for us.
Drive away awning, never considered one, just looks a pain to put up and realign when returning, watched a guys spend 30 minutes realigning, enough time to verify my thoughts on one.
thermal cover we use in the winter but rarely when free camping so also the cali wrap.
The tin toast rack is in the house, lasted a few uses.

Hook up cables unless its a long trip, have solar so rarely willing to pay for hookup !

Last edited:
3. Front screen curtains - we still use the side ones but for the front now just a cheap-and-cheerful internal sun blind that holds itself in place on springy wires and folds up in about 3 secs.
4. Stick-on spirit level (unlike Borris we do take a pair of ramps but only to stop Mrs VD's glass of Chateau Aldi sliding off the table).
5. Various BBQing paraphernalia. Now just throw something on the Cobb, slosh some wine or beer in the 'moat', wait 40 mins/whatever, and eat it.
6. Stuff for cleaning the Cobb. It'll keep until we get home but if it gets so grungy I can't close the lid meanwhile, just go to the pub.
Isn't Mrs VD's glass of Chateau Aldi a good enough spirit level? :thumb

Kampa geyser water heater, it’s great in theory and works well. But in practice having a shower drains 10 litres in a bucket in a minute or two plus it involves lots of gas bottle swapping with the cooking set up. Easier to heat some water up in a pan add that to some cold water and use a decatherlon pump shower

Very early days for us but all we’ve off loaded is the Fuel Angel. Found it slowed up filling the tank too much (but that might have been user error).
As others have said levelling ramps might not get packed for all trips (although we did use them at Slimbridge recently.

Isn't Mrs VD's glass of Chateau Aldi a good enough spirit level? :thumb
Brilliant, shows you guys have the right priorities poor the wine and then level the van. I've been getting that wrong..........

Washing up bowl & chopping board
Spare 907 gas bottle
Charcoal bbq
Porta potty
Water carrier

Washing up bowl & chopping board
Spare 907 gas bottle
Charcoal bbq
Porta potty
Water carrier
When we had our SE we had a Thetford 335 porta potty under the sink. We wowed that it was only to be used in situations of dire emergency. After we sold that van it too hung around in our garage mint and boxed until we sold it unused!

However, due to covid restrictions closing campsite facilities, we've since been forced to buy another one. :headbang The upside though is that this model is taller so there's sporting chance of being able to stand up after using said facility.

Hello! You've intrigued me with your springy wires set up. How does that work? Do you have a link you can share? ... One month till our beach arrives and enjoying all the planning in anticipation

We bought a Bellows Bungee and have never used it. Likewise, a 3pin plug converter for the inverter socket, though I suppose we might use it one day if we do any off grid camping. We bought a ladder to accessing the top bed, but it takes up so much room when assembled that we don’t use it. I always sleep downstairs, the Mrs sometimes sleeps upstairs but is agile enough to hoist herself up there without the ladder.

We do use our Porta Potti, it’s good if you get caught short in the middle of the night, and it’s useful as a foot rest when not in use.

I am with you on the toaster's now use a ridge monkey

Bellows bungee, sure it helped pull the bellows away from the passenger corner.
Rainbow screen cover, replaced with internal covers. Nothing wrong with the external cover it’s well made and does the job. Internal covers are much better for so many reasons.
Large levelling chocks, replaced with small ones that are used quite a lot.
Steel cover over sink. Great idea but we were forever putting it in and taking it out, putting it in.......
I'm interested in the reasons that the internal covers are better than the Rainbow ones - we have neither yet...

I'm interested in the reasons that the internal covers are better than the Rainbow ones - we have neither yet...
Internal covers are good if the roofs up, more air flow, less condensation. If the roofs down or its cold the external cover reduces heat loss a lot and stops condensation.

Mr D’s Thermal Cooker. CBA thinking about getting dinner going just after breakfast.

Awning tie down kit as we never leave it up going out and wind it in if the weather looks dodgy.

Mr D’s Thermal Cooker. CBA thinking about getting dinner going just after breakfast.

Awning tie down kit as we never leave it up going out and wind it in if the weather looks dodgy.
Re the Mr D's, we also have one and it doesn't often get an outing either. However, I have to say that it is near the top of my list of favourite camping items. We do take it on extended trips as it is useful to have a meal waiting after a long drive.

Back