Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What float voltage??

mal-practice

mal-practice

Vehicle
T4 Hightop
Hi.

Thanks everyone for your help so far, this forum has been excellent and I'm very grateful for all the posts.

Today I installed new leisure batteries and a new FraRon charger. Total cost £550, which is about the same price of just the original charger.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the float voltage. The charger has 3 options 13.2, 13.5 and 13.8. Can someone let me which one I should choose and what it's actual for?

Thanks again.

Dan.

Hi.

Thanks everyone for your help so far, this forum has been excellent and I'm very grateful for all the posts.

Today I installed new leisure batteries and a new FraRon charger. Total cost £550, which is about the same price of just the original charger.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the float voltage. The charger has 3 options 13.2, 13.5 and 13.8. Can someone let me which one I should choose and what it's actual for?

Thanks again.

Dan.

@sidepod is probably your man for this. He’s lording it up around Austria at the moment though. This wiki link might help if no one can give you a definitive answer.

Floating voltage is normally the level when no load is present or the unit output is switched off.
Can't help with why that would be set. Usually only the charge level would be of interest.
I'd set the lowest figure and then check the actual battery voltage when charged with everything off and if on the low side go up a setting. A case of try it and see seems logical.
No knowledge of the FraRon unit.

Hi.

Thanks again.

Dan.

Another thought. It may take the guess work out of things. The place you bought it from will probably have a customer support team. Give them a try.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deffo not your man right now......

346FA66C-22A0-4F36-84AF-97179E629C37.jpeg

45296196-CE3A-4F6C-AFFF-22DCC3F61D00.jpeg

Fun on the Autobahn today. Jousting with a T6 Coast. He blinked first. Red i + 155 kph.

Hi.

Thanks again.

Dan.
Hey Dan,
Float is the final stage of your 3 stage charger (Bulk, Absorption & Float). This last stage tops battery up the last 5-10% to reach a truly fully charged state. As all types of lead acid batteries self discharge, once fully charged float will also provide just enough to compensate for this internal loss to maintain 100%.
Some types of lead acid battery (AGM/Flooded/Gel/etc) require slightly different float voltage hence the settings. Do you know what you have fitted? Are they AGM?

Ouch! I feel sorry for your head in the morning. And your wallet! Or is that a pay once for unlimited top-ups?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was Mrs Pods round :cheers
Head survived. Onwards.

Float voltage sorted?

Back