Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What food can I take to France?

Lambeth Cali

Lambeth Cali

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Can I ask as Dr Google seems weirdly unhelpful…
Can I take canned tomatoes?
Can I take muesli?
Can I take a jar of olives?
Can I take jam?

I’m not asking for an opinion or guess. Dozens must have actually experience of the post Brexit rules.

Some common sense seems to suggest “yes” but they are all food products and I can’t find anything conclusive saying you can take tins and jars of fruit & vegetables.

Thanks in advance.
PLEASE, don’t tell me to buy it in France. It’s already in my house.

Last edited:
Can I take muesli?
Can I take jam.

Some common sense seems to suggest “yes” but they are all food products and I can’t find anything conclusive saying you can take tins and jars of fruit & vegetables.

Thanks in advance.
Suggest you just buy them when you get over there instead, then it avoids the risk of having to throw perfectly good food away.

A lot of that list is cheaper on the Continent anyway. Compared to what I was paying for Bonne Maman in the US, the price in Germany is an absolute steal.

It’s already here, ready to go. We are going with friends and volunteered to cook the first night.

Does anyone know the answer?

So surprised it’s not easy info to find.

Can I take muesli?
Can I take jam.

Thanks in advance.
Seems fairly straightforward.

A60F0F4B-D2A4-4663-A7F4-82EA62FAA165.jpeg
According to the above, the answer is Yes.

As far as I can see the only possible dodgy bit is the Muslie, basically if it’s alpen or similar off the shelf mix you are ok. If it’s homemade & the oats would sprout if planted it’s a no no.

Seems fairly straightforward.

View attachment 89151
According to the above, the answer is Yes.
That just mentions meat and diary though not vegetables etc.
Daughter has a nut allergy and trying to find nut free pesto would be an epic pain!
Of course all of this will be under 4 bicycles which is also a big concern if someone wants to inspect it.

That just mentions meat and diary though not vegetables etc.
Daughter has a nut allergy and trying to find nut free pesto would be an epic pain!
Of course all of this will be under 4 bicycles which is also a big concern if someone wants to inspect it.
This is the Definitive Legislation.
See Annex1 Part 2.

Thanks Welshgas, that seems digestible. Milk as an ingredient seems to be the hurdle. First item “frogs’ legs”! You couldn’t make it up.

Here is relevant bit if anyone else having a nightmare.

CD3FA2F4-7F2E-48BF-BA20-776714E9862A.jpegA81BEFA1-5002-4FF6-988A-3FE54FF0D777.jpeg

Oats in a state whereby they are still able to sprout come come under the bit about plants & seeds rather than the food bit.
Yep, taken out the muesli!

The other stress was whether to put in boot out of sight under 4 bikes or on show in cabin. Went for latter.

Oats in a state whereby they are still able to sprout come come under the bit about plants & seeds rather than the food bit.
My home-made muesli has sunflower seeds & pumpkin seeds in - that's probably more of a problem.

Yup, a quick glance at the vaccination papers and on your way. No interest in food.
Checked gas as normal.

Can I take muesli?
Can I take jam?

I’m not asking for an opinion or guess. Dozens must have actually experience of the post Brexit rules.

Thanks in advance.
Meat and dairy are not allowed.

But we took, ham, cheese, milk and Bovril. It was just the standard stuff we pack each time. We were not stopped or checked - lucky perhaps but if they they stopped and searched every car no one would ever get across the briny.

Meat and dairy are not allowed.

But we took, ham, cheese, milk and Bovril. It was just the standard stuff we pack each time. We were not stopped or checked - lucky perhaps but if they they stopped and searched every car no one would ever get across the briny.
Was this trip recently? Do you have to fill any forms regarding what food products you are carrying?

Was this trip recently? Do you have to fill any forms regarding what food products you are carrying?
It was in September. No form for food, just the honour form about health etc, which no one checked anyway. To be honest I didn't realise we had the ham and cheese ('er in doors packed it). I put the Bovril in but was prepared to lose it.

Went through Eurotunnel last summer: no interest from any official about the contents of our van. Nor, it seemed, any actual facility to inspect it in detail. I stayed on the continent cycling. My wife went home and then back through Rotterdam Europoort a few weeks later, again no interest, but I feel the Dutch have the time and resources to inspect in detail. We were once turned over leaving Hoek van Holland. We had the VW bike rack and bikes on the back on that occasion. When they said open the boot, I said sure, take me about 15 minutes to take the bikes off and another fifteen to put them back on. They decided to look over the back seats instead.Coincidentally it was the night the UK formally left the EU, 31/1/20. Big Marechausee presence on the dock that night and film crews on the boat.

We have done probably more than 30 trips through Europoort or Hoek in recent years. Only looked over that once.

It seems like customs doesn’t seen that interested in what food you are carrying regardless of wether it’s legal or not. SO has ANYONE been stopped within the last few months and searched?
Also it seems the penalty for bringing in a bit of cheese, ham sandwich or carton of milk would be to have it confiscated and that’s it. Unless you know different of coarse.

Can I take muesli?
Can I take jam?

Thanks in advance.
We went through the tunnel yesterday. We had snacks (crisps, biscuits etc) in a bag between seats. We we pulled aside for search and they did a swab of steering wheel and then we were off.
We are also very compliant on headlights, UK sticker etc and more than half of Uk cars didn’t have a Sticker (or number playe badge at all).
I have to say the Sanef toll tag is a must for us, good queue beater and don’t have to wind windows down in the cold.
Cali is now in Avoriaz safely parked underground!

Not being able to take dog food that is meat based is a pain.
Yes it is!! I've only just realised this when reading this thread! We're off to Spain & France in May. I've just read an article which suggests taking Vegan dog food to cover a couple of days and researching places where you can buy dog food when you get to France / Spain. I'm not keen on chopping & changing our dog's food - thinking of potential nasty tummy effects on the dog in our van!! - so I can see I'm going to have to do a bit of research.....

We went through the tunnel yesterday. We had snacks (crisps, biscuits etc) in a bag between seats. We we pulled aside for search and they did a swab of steering wheel and then we were off.
We are also very compliant on headlights, UK sticker etc and more than half of Uk cars didn’t have a Sticker (or number playe badge at all).
I have to say the Sanef toll tag is a must for us, good queue beater and don’t have to wind windows down in the cold.
Cali is now in Avoriaz safely parked underground!
Why was the steering wheel swabbed?

Back