Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What food do you take and cook on a long trip?

We will soon be setting off on our longest trip yet. We are heading up to Scotland to do the North Coast 500. We plan on doing the trip quite slowly to give us plenty of time to admire and enjoy the scenery.

We will set off with a fridge full of fresh food and take some dried pasta, a few jars of pasta sauce, pesto, olives, capers etc so that we can knock up quick meals from store cupboard staples. We expect to be able to visit a few restaurants and pubs along the way for meals too.

I am sure we will be able to stock up with some new fresh supplies here and there.

What do others take and cook when on a long trip?
When are you going? We are heading for 2 weeks on the 2nd week of August :)

It has to be a couple of packs of Bachelors Savoury Rice in the store cupboard too - a family tradition of ours since I was a kid caravanning with my parents, and now carried on to us in our lovely VW. Seems to go with everything....
We did the North Coast 500 earlier on this year - mid-April to mid-May and loved every minute of it!! There are lots of little local shops en route selling local produce - lots of lovely fish and beef. If you're stopping at Glencoe there's an amazing fish restaurant on the side of Loch Leven www.lochlevenseafoodcafe.co.uk which we aould recommend. The muscles are straight out of the loch. Have a wonderful trip and take plenty of anti-midge stuff!!
Enjoy!

If you can find them British army 1 day ration packs all you need for one day , all boil in the bag meals , if you can find US ration packs you just crush the bag and 60secs you have a hot meal , worked out you can get 50 under the sink and they have shelf life of 10 years

When are you going? We are heading for 2 weeks on the 2nd week of August :)
We have just set off! We travelled from Derbyshire to Blair Atholl, just north of Pitlochry yesterday. Today we have moved to just outside Inverness. We have found a campsite called Ardtower which has only been open for one year. The toilet blocks are amazing! They have huge ornate mirrors, bar stools to sit on when using hairdryers and even a sofa in there too. Not tried the showers yet. We have ordered a curry for delivery from Saffron Indian restaurant which is about 1km away and gets good reviews on Tripadvisor. We are currently sitting awaiting its arrival and taking advantage of the free wifi.
We plan to do the NC500 in a clockwise direction so will go to Applecross tomorrow. As recommended by 'Valma's Dad' we will head for The Applecross Inn. We have given ourselves 2 weeks to slowly move around, take in the views, do some walking and hopefully have a couple of boat trips to some of the small islands. If you do the route in the opposite direction we may see you!

We have just set off! We travelled from Derbyshire to Blair Atholl, just north of Pitlochry yesterday. Today we have moved to just outside Inverness. We have found a campsite called Ardtower which has only been open for one year. The toilet blocks are amazing! They have huge ornate mirrors, bar stools to sit on when using hairdryers and even a sofa in there too. Not tried the showers yet. We have ordered a curry for delivery from Saffron Indian restaurant which is about 1km away and gets good reviews on Tripadvisor. We are currently sitting awaiting its arrival and taking advantage of the free wifi.
We plan to do the NC500 in a clockwise direction so will go to Applecross tomorrow. As recommended by 'Valma's Dad' we will head for The Applecross Inn. We have given ourselves 2 weeks to slowly move around, take in the views, do some walking and hopefully have a couple of boat trips to some of the small islands. If you do the route in the opposite direction we may see you!
Have a safe trip/adventure/travel/holiday FoodieLoobie!

We try to empty the fridge first befor buying for a trip (yoghurt, cheese, vegetables...). Standart are some softdrinks, gin, water, pasta, rice, coffee, tea, honey, spices and salt.

Though we don't have a kitchen in a Beach, we have 2 50L fridges standing on the kitchen's place. So we have an option of running a fridge and freezer. This way we can shop for groceries just once 1-2 weeks.
Taking lots of eggs with us, because they are most nutritious and easy to cook. Lots of veggies.
Usually taking some dried fish or meat with us. They are really easy to make and we even take a small dehydrator to Norway so we can dry fish when catching it.

Easy....Steaks, eggs, sausages, milk, butter, bread, sauvignon blanc. If not enugh room just the Sauvignon Blanc. Buy everythig else locally.

Spot on Paul, I have Desperados, Desperados, Desperados and some water. I will collect 2 X large steaks and bacon plus some bread buns. Goose fat and butter .... Thats it... Packed.

Wow this looks interesting! Never heard of it before.
When i heard about this machine i googled it and found on you tube people were making them. I did a test of my own, for safety only did veg. I put raw veg in a thermos flask with hot water and stock etc. I put flask in a thermal cool bag and stuffed with towels. Success, cooked great. Never did it again though, think i forgot about it!

Lots of good tips on this thread so i will just offer my favorite:

Couscous. I put it in the one pot cooking to bulk up. If its a pre-cooked curry for example near the end i pour in some couscous and it absorbs some of the flavor and liquid. This keeps me in with the one pot crowd which is great, rice would have needed a second pan. Simples.

Notice this is that really what goes into a Lancashire Hot Pot? :shocked

View attachment 24206

ps: I've done no Photoshoppery on this image
Don't care. It does the job and has a 3 year shelf life so as an emergency supply - ideal.

I know you haven't done any " Photoshopping" but the company did. Those are the Ingredients for the ' Sticky Toffee Pudding '.
Lancashire Hot Pot is:
IMG.jpg

We love our thermal cooker. Prep in morning or at lunchtime, hot meal ready when you're tired at the end of the day. Easy to cook meals from fresh. http://mrdscookware.co.uk

Charles
We saw these at a show, and thought they looked fabulous, but were reluctant to part with best part of 100 quid without having heard some testimonials, so your recommendation is helpful. Has anyone else got experience of these?

One of the things I really like, which is also really easy, is sachets of couscous, specially the ones with moroccan-type flavours. You only have to put it in a bowl and pour on boiling water. Also packs of rice designed for the microwave - I just put it in a pan with a very little water and heat it up. And sachets of Sag Aloo and Bombay potatoes, sachets of tuna with various flavours like lime and black pepper - all these are for when I haven't any fresh food, or food from the fridge. I also take longlife UHT milk, the skimmed one as it doesn't have that UHT taste.

I never have to worry about shopping as I know I always have something available from my 'stores' to make up a meal. I do carry a few tins as well but they tend to be heavier and more bulky than packets.

We cook a lot of the same stuff we have at home; various pasta dishes, or rice dishes. Often cook a chile or curry, but these do tend to linger in the van when cooked inside if the weather is bad.

Sausage casserole - not out of a packet - the hairy bikers recipe is particularly good!

In the summer, usually lots of salads with new potatoes, a lot of BBQ's, fresh fish - definitely needs to be cooked outside.

often pick up supplies as we go, my personal preference if it's a 3 day weekend, cook one or two evenings, one night in a pub or fish and chips!

I agree with one of the posts here, you don't want to be spending your Cali time constantly in a supermarket. When we go away and on walks or cycles we usually take a small insulated bag in case we happen across somewhere doing fresh produce that we can pick up, we try and plan ahead and avoid shopping!!

Back