Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What have you bought for your Cali today :-)

What’s in the box?

A51A50EA-A842-4CFD-9B95-173E9AB285E8.jpeg

New clutch, solid flywheel kit from Valeo, getting rid of the DMF sing, too short a life and expensive, the kit is cheaper than an original LuX DMF and next time only need to change the disc and clutch cover.
2E05150B-071E-47B6-9E9E-D0D9CCE1FEF8.jpeg

And an excuse to get a new toy, a 2t trolly jack
FCCBDD1E-8585-4333-984A-EEDE302FAD65.jpeg

What’s in the box?

View attachment 55574

New clutch, solid flywheel kit from Valeo, getting rid of the DMF sing, too short a life and expensive, the kit is cheaper than an original LuX DMF and next time only need to change the disc and clutch cover.
View attachment 55579

And an excuse to get a new toy, a 2t trolly jack
View attachment 55580
I hope your gearbox and cranckshaft will cope with the extra undamped forces from gear changes.
DMF is fitted because of lighter material in gearbox.
If you change gears sporty, it might lower the lifespan of the gearbox.
I had my Golf 4 converted into a solid flywheel, and in gear changes I really felt the shocks. Sold it later on for my California.
I will never change the DMF to a solid one. Yes the price will be the same of the complete solid kit, but I won't sacrifice gear change comfort and lifespan of the gearbox.
No issues yet at 145000 km (90000mi).

Let us know how it feels while driving.

I hope your gearbox and cranckshaft will cope with the extra undamped forces from gear changes.
DMF is fitted because of lighter material in gearbox.
If you change gears sporty, it might lower the lifespan of the gearbox.
I had my Golf 4 converted into a solid flywheel, and in gear changes I really felt the shocks. Sold it later on for my California.
I will never change the DMF to a solid one. Yes the price will be the same of the complete solid kit, but I won't sacrifice gear change comfort and lifespan of the gearbox.
No issues yet at 145000 km (90000mi).

Let us know how it feels while driving.
I could agree with you if I had an earlier T4 Tdi which basically had a golf gearbox with larger diff with no other changes apart from a new housing and were never designed for torque of the 2.5Tdi ACV of 250Nm and quite a bit more if decat’d.

Later 5cyl T4’s have a better gearbox with bigger bearings and beefed up gears etc, with an endplate of tin it’s the early box which fits 4&5 cyl engines, with a cast alloy end housing only fits 5cyl engines.

I’m not worried about the Audi 5cyl lump of iron it’s good for a reliable 400hp and the crazy Swed’s with there Volvo’s a lot more.

What can cause problems is if the crankshaft damper is shot (harmonic balancer, correct term), this damps out twisting of the crank and yes the crank can break if not replaced when the rubber molding between the two parts fails, it also can shred cam belts.

I should also add the Valeo conversion kit had a special clutch plate with oversized damping springs to partly offset the change from an original DMF

Hi Calimili. What are you charging with this panel?
Hi Elly, I am charging the leisure batteries with it.
I've connected it to the rear battery for the moment, but I plan to attach it to the front leisure battery with an anderson plug. Then i can easily disconnect and connect it with clamps to the motor battery should i need to charge or top up that one too

I've connected it to the rear battery for the moment, but I plan to attach it to the front leisure battery with an anderson plug. Then i can easily disconnect and connect it with clamps to the motor battery should i need to charge or top up that one too
Hi,
I’ve been looking at something like this, where are the rear /front batteries and how did you connect it to them? I had a roof solar panel on a previous van, but don’t really want the additional expense at £500.

Kind regards, Kirstie

View attachment 37160
Thanks very much for all the info Loz!
DanNish does this mean that you might be better with the 760 mm set up if ordering for an ocean or you just need a smaller box on that side (just trying to work out the relative merits/cons ) ?

Last edited:
Hi,
I’ve been looking at something like this, where are the rear /front batteries and how did you connect it to them? I had a roof solar panel on a previous van, but don’t really want the additional expense at £500.

Kind regards, Kirstie
Hi Kirstie, on a Ocean the front battery is under the left seat in the cockpit, the rear battery is at the bootom of the wardrobe, there is a hatch to open down there left side of the boot.
At the moment I am using the supplied clamps attached the red on the + of the battery and the black (-), attached to the bolt of the battery stopper at the bottom for convenience. I am planning though to connect to the front battery to avoid having the cable through the "living room". But I'll use wires with ring terminal attached to the battery clamp, and an anderson stecker on the other side.

Do you think it will charge effectively through the glass, Calimili?

Do you think it will charge effectively through the glass, Calimili?
It will charge slightly less, but it charge nevertheless.
The other side of the medal is, if the windscreen is facing the sun, it may charge more despite the glass because of its angle than flat on the roof..

IMG_20200203_170541.jpgIMG_20200203_170632.jpg
Saw it one someone's video so bought myself a shower caddy with self adhesive mount. Only problem is it won't really fit comfortably in the sink.

I get jealous of nice garages too. Mines full of junk with a leaky flat roof. I dream of a garage with one of those posh floors. Loads of lights and enough room to park my van in. Sigh. One day.

My garage was build to fit cars arround 2m h. as at the time my Defender with roofrack and tent needed to fit and i knew a Cali was on the list of cars to come....
So i had this build :
IMG_9954.JPG
It's 100m2 floor (polished concrete) and one open space inside without walls or pilars.
The door is 6m wide and 2,30m h clearance .
On top an attic....
For the moment it fits 3 cars and lots of Cali-related stuff , DIY stuff , tools , workbench,...
IMG_2306.JPG
IMG_2308.JPG
IMG_2307.JPG
I kind of got the garage for the Cali so staying on topic ;)

Last edited:
My garage was build to fit cars arround 2m h. as at the time my Defender with roofrack and tent needed to fit and i knew a Cali was on the list of cars to come....
So i had this build :
View attachment 55631
It's 100m2 floor (polished concrete) and one open space inside without walls or pilars.
The door is 6m wide and 2,30m h clearance .
On top an attic....
For the moment it fits 3 cars and lots of Cali-related stuff , DIY stuff , tools , workbench,...
View attachment 55632
View attachment 55633
View attachment 55634
I kind of got the garage for the Cali so staying on topic ;)
Fantastic, looks like my first garage which was nearly as big as the house but over the years the houses have got bigger and the garages smaller, think I went wrong somewhere.

@sapto @Karlos , in fact the garage has a lager footprint than my house...but the house got a 1st floor and attic so bigger floor m2 in total offcoarse.

Back