Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What have you bought for your Cali today :-)

Not bought today but this afternoon I spent about three minutes refitting the lower grille trim strips today which I have colour coded to the cherry red of our van. I reckon they look alright. Thoughts? (Do posher Calis come with this trim already colour coded or in chrome?) I’m doing the same for an aftermarket protective bumper strip that will go on the back as didn’t fancy it in black or chrome/steel.

26b6225e59b1fe620ee89b84ab6e7e50.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not bought today but this afternoon I spent about three minutes refitting the lower grille trim strips today which I have colour coded to the cherry red of our van. I reckon they look alright. Thoughts? (Do posher Calis come with this trim already colour coded or in chrome?) I’m doing the same for an aftermarket protective bumper strip that will go on the back as didn’t fancy it in black or chrome/steel.

26b6225e59b1fe620ee89b84ab6e7e50.jpg

Prefer the red to chrome
We changed our grill trim to red, added red to the mirrors, changed door handles and VW badge to black.

E0B60EC1-CB7D-4DDD-8E16-A623EFEC1191.jpeg

49FE8BC2-ECA1-4400-AB0D-F94A1DDB7C63.jpeg

C8D3EDA6-C5ED-41BE-A1D4-AF7CCE525E80.jpeg

E734FB5F-7ECD-4A39-9F35-AA5F5C2C1DF9.jpeg

Prefer the red to chrome
We changed our grill trim to red, added red to the mirrors, changed door handles and VW badge to black.

View attachment 57450

View attachment 57451

View attachment 57452

View attachment 57453

Nice work. Thanks for sharing. Not particularly a fan of chrome (it remind me of what car manufacturers plaster onto tired models to spruce them up after they’ve been on the market for a few years), and my last van, a grey T5, was a chrome-free zone, but going with it on the T6 for now (but it’s early days). Liking the side step/rails - just for show or does it actually get used?

Nice work. Thanks for sharing. Not particularly a fan of chrome (it remind me of what car manufacturers plaster onto tired models to spruce them up after they’ve been on the market for a few years), and my last van, a grey T5, was a chrome-free zone, but going with it on the T6 for now (but it’s early days). Liking the side step/rails - just for show or does it actually get used?

Side steps are used, we take an 85 year old aunt on days out she struggled without them. We had them on our previous Landcruiser so she was used to the extra lift :) Different types of steps available some just cosmetic ie don’t step on them, others like ours take weight.

12A92A9A-3261-49BE-B9F1-D9A4D2F09DB7.jpeg

Looks superb, but does it also live up to expectation in terms of flood-lighting the whole area in front of the sliding door, or is the light directed mostly downward? After my failed attempt at buying a magnetic floodlight and wrap-around screen cover (see my earlier post :headbang), I really like the idea of this for being able to cook outside in the dark without needing a head torch. Appreciate you may not have tried it in anger yet...!
As you say, I've not tried it in anger yet unfortunately. Observations are: The base of the awning cassette is slightly angled and the LEDs are in a clear silicone so the light does diffuse. The white underside of the awning would also extend the coverage by reflection but to see clearly at night whatever you're doing would have to be done facing the van, also 50% of the strips are slightly obscured by the sliding door when open. That said, I do need to try it out properly but am still more than happy with it as a smart tidy solution. The ability to dim it for a softer light is a bonus. There was a recent chat on Facebook about the LED strip. Ive grabbed the picture of a van with the awning open and light on from a post (no reg shown and full credit to owner for pic with apologies for using image in a helpful manner).9446A234-6313-402D-8F8C-553DB584EAF4.jpeg

As you say, I've not tried it in anger yet unfortunately. Observations are: The base of the awning cassette is slightly angled and the LEDs are in a clear silicone so the light does diffuse. The white underside of the awning would also extend the coverage by reflection but to see clearly at night whatever you're doing would have to be done facing the van, also 50% of the strips are slightly obscured by the sliding door when open. That said, I do need to try it out properly but am still more than happy with it as a smart tidy solution. The ability to dim it for a softer light is a bonus. There was a recent chat on Facebook about the LED strip. Ive grabbed the picture of a van with the awning open and light on from a post (no reg shown and full credit to owner for pic with apologies for using image in a helpful manner).

Great, thanks Bryan. I guess shadowing will always be an issue with any light fixed to the van, but hadn't considered the the door would block some of it when open. As a result of your post I've also found (and joined) the Facebook groups and saw the photo...I like the idea of threading the cable through to use the 12v socket beside the bench seat, especially since you mentioned wiring into the spotlight was a bit fiddly. Just have to convince the Mrs now, given we've only managed 4 nights away since buying the van and she's trying to tell me we should "wait and see" before spending more money....cheers!

We got this fantastic little cookbook and have been trying out the recipes from the kitchen during lockdown. It's given us really easy new favourite family meals for both on the road and at home!

Screenshot_20200414-072021_Amazon Shopping.jpg

The product was bought at the recent NEC show from Campervantastic. The link to the product is here:
If the link doesn't work, type the company name into Google and then search the site by Brand 'Kyham'.
The unit comes with a remote control key fob with dimmer function and does come with good instructions.
I'm glad saw one fitted in the flesh gave me a bit of confidence. In all it took me about 3 hours because I cleaned the awning cassette first, and took my time throughout. I'm sure someone with better hands could do it quicker.
The lions share of the time was actually wiring it into the rear offside reading light, although it comes with lots of wire and a 12v plug to use the 12v outlet in the boot area.
Wiring it into the reading light was fiddly because I had to use Scotch Lock Clips (not supplied) and the length of the VW wiring is tight so its proper fiddly. I did blow one 10a fuse for the internal lighting circuit. I would have liked to solder but I'm just not that good at it.
The only thing you have to live with is the (albeit) clear power lead which basically is fed inside via the tailgate rubber seal. I can take a couple of pictures if you want tomorrow.

Like your thinking. I wired straight to the reading light but concealed the wiring by routing it through the rear light and back into the vehicle and behind the panelling. So the wire is glued to the seam at the top of the tailgate opening, routed under / down the tailgate seal, into the RH light, and then back through and into the top panel. Soldered onto the reading light. Fiddly but worth the effort.

an UBSC dongle for my MBP. Usefull for garden-homeoffice.
Now thinking about an Asus portable screen - or using an ipad/sidecar

all this time on my hands although just standing it soon gets dusty:thumb
I washed mine on the 20th of may. It's already full of dust. I will have to give it a new wash before I have to go to work again.

A little bit of interior bling.. upgraded air vent knobs from van-x.co.uk.
92aa405197ea39a59dec4df2f6f55dfb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Back