Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What have you bought for your Cali today :-)

Thanks for the heads up on the tape. Think Velcro May be the way to go

Let us know how that works out with the Velcro as I think the adhesive would not be strong enough to stay stuck to the carpet it would be nice if it did :thumb

Go Velcro if you can. The double sided tape lasts about 9 months then they fall off/out. I’ve lost one and the other kept sliding out and getting trapped in the door when closing. Not the best.
The sliding door sill mat has lasted though.

Received a solar panel kit from Roger at solar campervan solutions. I chose the kit which charges engine battery too. Taking my time with fitting - got started today

6079d7119799ead356ee69dbf928bb09.jpg

For anyone attempting an OEM bluetooth (9w7) retrofit install.
I was searching for an original microphone mount bracket (7H5 857 155 A Y20) and was disgusted to find the price a company is charging for the part on eBay.
I went here: https://originalteilemarkt.de/halter-fuer-mikrofon/perlgrau-7h5857155a-y20-3323123

And paid a fraction of the price (€5).

By all means make a profit but don't take the pi**.
a0a40ddafce2509fbe9ce74e10370bbc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

890E508B-3A93-4A7C-9622-B1415B9A1F04.jpeg
Bought a die cast model.
It’s a 5.1 California not a T5, but most people won’t notice.
LHD too, but I guess that’s all they would have made.
Pleased to see the detail of the wardrobe and table are included.
Very pleased to see it has Canberra wheels like mine, so I had to paint them to match.

The plan will be to make a 3D picture of it by a sandy/woody vista once lockdown is over and I can source a frame.

Received a solar panel kit from Roger at solar campervan solutions. I chose the kit which charges engine battery too. Taking my time with fitting - got started today

Hi, I have been looking at this see up. Will you be posting the installation on here?

Much appreciated.

Hi, I have been looking at this see up. Will you be posting the installation on here?

Much appreciated.

I’ll write a blog post. Was there any detail you are particularly interested in? I was inspired by the recent installation and subsequent post by @babble - I have the same kit. I’m just taking a deep breath before drilling a big hole in the trim to fit the display...
a0b68ae53403e539fcd4f7645944b288.jpg

Babble did a great job with the display. I would have mine in the same position.
My biggest reservation is the cable from the roof into the vehicle.

Babble did a great job with the display. I would have mine in the same position.
My biggest reservation is the cable from the roof into the vehicle.

Agree on both counts. Not drilling a hole in my roof though 8()

Sun Quench Squirty Squash. Don't know whether it's a new product or not, but simple and brilliant.

Some shiny plastic wheel bolt head covers that are a good interference fit, so I hope that they will stay in place.
Just noticed the corrosion bubble in the photo which I hadn't seen when I was putting the caps on.P4260098.JPG

I used the tape supplied. Removed the mats for the first time about a year later and didn’t refit. I haven’t got rid of the residue from the tape yet.
I have just fitted Step Mats using the tape supplied. I cleaned with white spirit prior to install. Not very confident of stickabuility. I wondered if anybody can give advice on which Velcro to use as I am unsure which to select (What material is the floor?) I am wavering towards Heavy Duty Velcro, would appreciate any advice from those who have already fitted please

I have just fitted Step Mats using the tape supplied. I cleaned with white spirit prior to install. Not very confident of stickabuility. I wondered if anybody can give advice on which Velcro to use as I am unsure which to select (What material is the floor?) I am wavering towards Heavy Duty Velcro, would appreciate any advice from those who have already fitted please
I tried the heavy duty Velcro at the weekend, seemed to work ok on the smaller steps (yet to be really tested in use though) but couldn’t get the sliding door one to stick because it is not a flat surface. I had cleaned the steps with a stray cleaner the weekend before so that may not have helped. Will probably have another go with Velcro sometime or try double sided carpet tape

Our step mats came with a double sided tape which only held up for a couple of days. We then bought 3M heavy duty Velcro but again that hasn’t lasted (we only put it on intermittent positions). The Velcro has failed too as it hasn’t stayed stuck to the plastic which we cleaned before applying.

Also interested to hear any better solutions too.

I have struggled with attaching things to the Cali plastic with all sorts of tapes and even hot glue. I wanted something that would be removable and not leave a mess if I decided to get rid of it.
Most of the things I stuck on the little slide blind over the fridge stayed until the sun got on it then it would fall off after time.
I now use Isopropyl alcohol to the clean the area before applying 3m VHB tape or Nano Tape.
These two I have found to be the most effective.

Contact adhesive works and the residue can be removed , apply to both surfaces before bonding both bits, leave to set for 24 hours before attaching the two parts of the Velcro

An MFSW to replace the standard non multi function one I currently have
View attachment 58194

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
An MFSW to replace the standard non multi function one I currently have
View attachment 58194

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's interesting. Do you know if it is easy to replace the steering wheel and attach all the nessecary cables? Are the cables already there? Or is this something a professional should do? And is it expensive? I always find that the controls for the radio/music are to far away for my short arms :)

That's interesting. Do you know if it is easy to replace the steering wheel and attach all the nessecary cables? Are the cables already there? Or is this something a professional should do? And is it expensive? I always find that the controls for the radio/music are to far away for my short arms :)
I don't think it is a straight swap, there will be some coding involved and possible wiring alterations.
A quick google found this, gives an idea of what might be involved.

Attachments

• VW_T5_MSW.pdf
    432.9 KB · Views: 26
Thanks Larry. A bit too much of a job for me. But thanks for poasting anyways. Might help others.

Thanks Larry. A bit too much of a job for me. But thanks for poasting anyways. Might help others.
It's not as bigger job as you might think. I recommend using this you tube vid.

Providing you have the repair wires, correct airbag harness and VCDS to code at the end it should only take a couple of hours.

I've just watched the retrofit, curious as to what the dial is next to the light switch and the red button by the dsg. Never seen them fitted to any before, any ideas?

I've just watched the retrofit, curious as to what the dial is next to the light switch and the red button by the dsg. Never seen them fitted to any before, any ideas?
Looks like a small pressure button gauge. Similar to the ones used on small scuba cylinders. No ideas with the red button..

The van is a converted disabled vehicle, the button and gauge will relate the the former use of the hydraulic ramp IMO

Back