Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What have you bought for your Cali today :-)

Fed the fridge! Out for the weekend, staying overnight near Delemere forest. Went to Hollies farm shop (only 9 miles away) on the way. Bought loads of yummy meat and a couple of pies (the pork pie is to die for).

Great cafe too.

Last edited:
Fed the fridge! Out for the weekend, staying overnight near Delemere forest. Went to Hollies farm shop (only 9 miles away) on the way. Bought loads of yummy meat and a couple of pies (the pork pie is to die for).

Great cafe too.

I hope you let your Hubby go home while you were so close Elly, I have to go to the river every time I'm up and had a great walk from Albert Dock to Otterspool last week.

Presume you had some good weather while up in Cheshire.

I hope you let your Hubby go home while you were so close Elly, I have to go to the river every time I'm up and had a great walk from Albert Dock to Otterspool last week.

Presume you had some good weather while up in Cheshire.
Liverpool is in some extra measures. The initial intention for going to Cheshire was to meet our best mates from Liverpool Go for a good walk and have Sunday lunch (they don’t camp) together. We’ve not seen them since lockdown start. But the guidelines say they shouldn’t meet up with other households so they didn’t come. Hey, ho hopefully soon.

Anyway, weather was glorious. Bit cold and windy across the mere when the sun was down but when the sun was out it was stonking hot, even in the forest.

How was your walk? I think Otterspool has changed a lot in the past 120 yrs. http://streetsofliverpool.co.uk/ott...edium=rss&utm_campaign=otterspool-shore-c1900

Make sure the valves are locked in the open position before rolling it. Tramp along the tubes towards the valve. Fold along the line of the tubes, to the right width. Small people to roll along it to expell the air. Then roll up tightly. Often worth unrolling and re-rolling before attempting the final bag fight.
I haven’t found that using the pump to suck out the air works any better than this and you still have to do all of the above to get the air out from the pockets trapped in the fabric anyway.
Cracked it thanks for the valve advice made all the difference!

Liverpool is in some extra measures. The initial intention for going to Cheshire was to meet our best mates from Liverpool Go for a good walk and have Sunday lunch (they don’t camp) together. We’ve not seen them since lockdown start. But the guidelines say they shouldn’t meet up with other households so they didn’t come. Hey, ho hopefully soon.

Anyway, weather was glorious. Bit cold and windy across the mere when the sun was down but when the sun was out it was stonking hot, even in the forest.

How was your walk? I think Otterspool has changed a lot in the past 120 yrs. http://streetsofliverpool.co.uk/ott...edium=rss&utm_campaign=otterspool-shore-c1900
I think Otterspool looked better 120 yrs ago, sorry you couldn't meet your friends but glad you enjoyed yourselves.

It's not here yet but today I bought a porta potti plus chemicals etc
tie down
levelling blocks
a VW70 number plate
and a hook up cable

Still trying to decide which route to take on screen cover and bellows insulation (leaning towards Rainbow for both)

other than that I'm doing my level best to sit on my hands until we're in it

Pfft, it's too exciting not to shop for it.

Now added
Whistling kettle
Gas bottle
Ridge Monkey
Kurgo bench seat cover (for the dogs)
and we've replaced our 25 year old :oops: double sleeping bags and bought mattress protectors and fitted sheets

:D

Pfft, it's too exciting not to shop for it.

Now added
Whistling kettle
Gas bottle
Ridge Monkey
Kurgo bench seat cover (for the dogs)
and we've replaced our 25 year old :oops: double sleeping bags and bought mattress protectors and fitted sheets

:D
Never thought about mattress protectors for the Cali.

I'm also obsessing and trying not to buy too much before ours arrives (hopefully before Christmas - build week 45). Based on many posts I've read on this forum I've bought a few things that there seems to be a consensus about:

Awning tie-down
Portapotty
Electric cable (plus adapters for home)
Ridgemonkey

And after many hours of researching all the various types of awning I've ordered a cinch-hub, which I think will work well for us (we like minimal faff)

Can't wait can't wait can't wait!!!

Hi all. I’m very interested in the Cinch hub tent (@Claremacrob posted about it above). Has anyone got one? If so what do you think?

There is an old thread on this (in fact I’d forgotten I’d posted to it :oops:). But has anyone recently got/used one?

Last edited:
And like a California they hold their value. We have now sold three, and have received at least 2/3 of their purchase price for each - after two years of heavy use and abuse!
On our first we made 100£ due to price increase and currency fluctuations. Cnoc 12 which two boys have used for 4 years.

Which battery did you buy?
Mine seems to be ready for changing. I am looking on the Tayna website ATM. I have this one in at the moment.
Seems like it may be a Varta F21 will do the job.

View attachment 66384
The F21 is marketed as an Engine/Starter Battery whilst the LA80 version is marketed as a Leisure Battery. I don't know exactly how similar they are but was told by Tanya that the Warranty would be void if used for the wrong purpose. Make of that as you will.

The F21 is marketed as an Engine/Starter Battery whilst the LA80 version is marketed as a Leisure Battery. I don't know exactly how similar they are but was told by Tanya that the Warranty would be void if used for the wrong purpose. Make of that as you will.
Well I have now installed 3 of the F21's and although technically the LA80's are like you say marketed as more of a Leisure battery the F21's flagged up on searching as direct replacements for my previous batteries.
Varta Battery.jpgVarta Battery.jpg The previous 3 batteries were all identical installed by VW eg. Dual purpose . They have served me well and performed perfectly. They are not dead yet either I took them out a bit early so I can use their remaining life on a solar project.

Your good self @WelshGas gave me the the confidence to do most of the install myself along with some of @Loz pictures and install instructions.
I was really worried about getting the coding right. Dealership quoted me almost £1000 for all three batteries including install and coding. Ridiculous price along with leaving the vehicle with them for most of the day.

I called a local battery supplier bought all three batteries for £455 including free install of the starter battery and watched him do the install and coding less than 10 mins. The gadget he used to code he stated merely tells the vehicle there is a new battery installed and the vehicle then resets the parameters for charging. He tested my alternator at the same time and he said it was charging slightly less than it should but he said that was probably because the vehicle has an intelligent charging system and adjusts accordingly.

The 2 other F21's I took home and installed them myself it took me about an hour and a half as I did it really slowly and carefully and my toolkit is not that good. Its quite a simple procedure really.

After finishing all the install I was expecting maybe some errors to flag up.
There were 3 things that happened.
1. The clock on the overhead display needed resetting. (1min to manually reset)
2. The Cab windows lost their one touch up and down function. ( This came back automatically after driving back home and stopping for a cuppa along the way)
3. The heater on the overhead display was flashing in the display. ( I turned off the overhead display and turned it back on and it cleared)

I have been all around the vehicle checking if anything else has changed all is normal. Even though the starter battery was disconnected for a few minutes the radio did not lose its settings.
20200929_120411.jpg
So I think the F21' s will be fine as they look like direct replacements to the same 3 I took out. Only 80ah now as opposed to 75ah. Its an upgrade :)

PS. I found a moldy peanut under the passenger seat and 50p so technically its cost me £454.50

Last edited:
I take it that's a can of orange juice and not full of fresh air and sunbeams (like the guy from Devon who sells jars of fresh air via ebay and is making a fortune selling to Chinese customers in Beijing - true story)!!
I'm in the wrong business!
Hmm - canned inside the Cali air 'hints of wet dog...' could be a seller!

Recently bought this Ikea storage bag, which fits rather nicely in the drawer under the bench. We use it for clothes, just bring it inside the apartment to pack everything.

Now we just need to remember to actually put it inside the Cali when we go away for the weekend :headbang

Hey, Brian wasn't around so asking his dad. Is the front panel sewn on or is it removable? If the latter what fixing attaches it, velco, zip, etc?

Hey, Brian wasn't around so asking his dad. Is the front panel sewn on or is it removable? If the latter what fixing attaches it, velco, zip, etc?
Hi, there's no options to open the window / remove panels like the rainbow covers. I guess it keeps the cost and size down.

Back