Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What have you bought for your Cali today :-)

These just arrived:
View attachment 77179

Will try and see how well they work in the van at the weekend, but the idea was to keep them in the Beach most of the time for impromptu use. Have a Maxxcamp Compact for longer stays.

And a Cinch Hub arrived today, not sure I'll have time to pop that up AND fold it down again over the weekend too!.
hi, how did these work out in terms of usefulness and likely durability? Were they sturdy enough for the weight of cassette cooker and meal prep?

SeaKale

hi, how did these work out in terms of usefulness and likely durability? Were they sturdy enough for the weight of cassette cooker and meal prep?

SeaKale
I haven't been away with these, but the cooker stand is definitely OK for the cooker plus kettle / pan, it's reasonably thick steel. The board is an IKEA chopping board with a steel bracket attached that is pretty sturdy. It feels like the California bracket would give way before the steel bracket!

I could try and take some close ups of the fittings at the weekend if you like?

I haven't been away with these, but the cooker stand is definitely OK for the cooker plus kettle / pan, it's reasonably thick steel. The board is an IKEA chopping board with a steel bracket attached that is pretty sturdy. It feels like the California bracket would give way before the steel bracket!

I could try and take some close ups of the fittings at the weekend if you like?
That would be great. Many thanks for that

SeaKale

Noticed that Spacesavers are available for a Cali, but a bog standard steel spare would be cheaper. I think that +/- 10% difference on rolling radius is OK (not sure on a 4 Motion).

A1D4B204-DF88-442E-9C00-E62DF322E684.png

I bought a cradle & have a 17" steel as a spare, the overall rolling diameter is just about identical. The big problem will be where to put the 18" wheel that has been taken off, although if its got that bad a puncture the sidewalls should squash down & it may squeeze back into the cradle.

I also carry the bottle of gunge & a pump. Circumstances at the time will dictate which I use.

No reason why you couldn't use the spare as an emergency "get you home" wheel, can't be a big difference in rolling radius.
so why would VW not recommend, not make available as an option, if it was ok to use a standard 17" ?

Noticed that Spacesavers are available for a Cali, but a bog standard steel spare would be cheaper. I think that +/- 10% difference on rolling radius is OK (not sure on a 4 Motion).

View attachment 78044
VW sells spacesavers for other vehicles, like I have in my Q7, paid extra. Why would they not want to make extra money by selling an extra item to people who choose 18" on their Calis ?

+/- 10% I confidently don't think it is ok, as you suggest, on 4motion. Not sure what the implications would be on FWD, even assuming you always put the spare on the rear.
axle. I would think that would shift the balance/ reduce the contact on one of the front wheel and cause damage to the differential. But I am speculating..

VW sells spacesavers for other vehicles, like I have in my Q7, paid extra. Why would they not want to make extra money by selling an extra item to people who choose 18" on their Calis ?

+/- 10% I confidently don't think it is ok, as you suggest, on 4motion. Not sure what the implications would be on FWD, even assuming you always put the spare on the rear.
axle. I would think that would shift the balance/ reduce the contact on one of the front wheel and cause damage to the differential. But I am speculating..
Yeah could be a costly error. Something in writing from a VW dealership would be prudent.

No reason why you couldn't use the spare as an emergency "get you home" wheel, can't be a big difference in rolling radius.
The standard on a coast is 16" with a 75 wall, the new rims are 20" with a 40 wall. There is just over 25mm difference in the overall diameter, it might be ok, it might not. The cost of the kit made it a no brainer.

Bought a little bungee cord to finish son's bookbox (behind passengerseat, lhd)
00742b45c5896465aa4ad0393eb734aa.jpg

9F27274C-F033-4ED7-9E9C-F6A62E782F9E.jpegF3119AC0-3A95-45D0-9F4B-F8E2093AA966.jpeg52558998-0AC9-4D5F-8649-FE22DD712623.jpegB7F6A274-43E2-4120-A6C6-5C3A0EE93641.jpeg573F8CE1-59A4-4EEF-AD61-362AD224BBD2.jpeg

Like @dripster I also bought the mini table and cooker stand for my VW Beach. Ordering process from Germany was straight forward with no surprise additional custom fees.

so far really pleased. Solidly built and stable when attached.

View attachment 78079View attachment 78080View attachment 78081View attachment 78082View attachment 78078

Like @dripster I also bought the mini table and cooker stand for my VW Beach. Ordering process from Germany was straight forward with no surprise additional custom fees.

so far really pleased. Solidly built and stable when attached.
Does the beach Tour with twin sliders have this rail mounted on the door? With the proper rail mounted, that setup could easily be adapted even to the twin slider, since it eliminates the gas locker.

Back