Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What have you bought for your Cali today :-)

Very good screen. I assume you made the edge with magnets sewn in. Were the magnets easy to buy and where? I was thinking about making something similar for the rear side window. Thanks for sharing a good idea.
Yes little flat magnets the same as on our blackout curtains for those windows. Used just4magnets.
it seems to work well but probably a more experienced sewer can do a better job! I had to sew the magnets by hand because they kept sticking to the machine foot I have!
Will do some a bit more makeshift for the side door and tailgate just for summer and then spend a little more time to tidy them up and fit a zip. All in all I have spent about £55 on enough midge netting, bonding and magnets for the whole van.

That looks pretty decent. Mind if I ask where you got that from? And does it act as a reversing camera too?
Just one of the ones on amazon (or ebay), read a few reviews and the quality seems good (have had nextbase and blackvue before) https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B088LSXWCC/?tag=eliteelect-21
Yes it can act as either a rear facing camera, a reversing camera (option to wire in to reverse light which will bring it up automatically which I have not investigated fully yet) or a cabin camera (taxis and ride shares)

Many clever items in that shop for sure.
indeed, customer service/communication not the greatest though. I was waiting for a tracking number when the package arrived.

Too many! Got the "cutting board" and the "gas cooker holder" for our Beach - really good products. Must resist getting some other stuff!
I am waiting for the tailgate latch to be in stock, seems they sell out as fast as they make them.

It’s actually a vase and a spectacularly unimpressed better half !

Hi, happy to but literally just leaving for a few days in the cali. Will share a link when I get back to all the sizes, brackets etc.
Hi everyone,

As promised the shelve sizes. Basically, they are 9mm MDF painted in grey water-based undercoat. They took a morning to make, using a cross saw but if you're handy a good battery circular saw would suffice (or a good sharp hand saw) Key thing is for them to be square'ish BUT mine don't fit tightly, they sit freely on the brackets**, so you can afford for them to be hand sawn and this also allows them to be lifted out easily. If you can't guarantee cutting them fairly square, suggest you just make the 1 or 2 cm sorter in the width. (The sliding window pocket is the issue here - mine still opens and closes with the shelves in).

I wanted these to be able to be removed without any damage to the Cali for re-sale, so have used self adhesive (20 off) shelf brackets fro amazon. 4 per shelf at the corners then I've used two more support the wider shelves (middle and bottom). Finally I used one bracket per shelve (upside down) to stop the shelves tipping (see sketch).

Other considerations are : 2 or 3 ? Its personal. I like the three and can still get access to the bottom of the wordrobe for shoes etc, The top one is the more difficult (with hinge and cabling), so thats the one to leave out!

Fitting - Clearly, if the van is not level you can't use a spirit level so I just measured down from reference points and drew pencil lines. Start at the top and then use the first shelf as the reference for the second and so on. Stick the brackets along the pencil line.

** To accomodate this, I stuck rubber draught excluder to the underside to prevent movement and rattles. (Works a treat (Felt, rubber, furniture pad may do). However, the draught excluder also helps to accomodate any small variance if your brackets are not exactly level to each other !!

Brackets:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08T1ZBD4B/?tag=eliteelect-21

Since fitting, I've realised the internal light is blocked by the top shelf, so bought these and put one on the two lower shelves. Work a treat.

LED lights: (not in the £40 quoted)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N6EUXPF/?tag=eliteelect-21

1626857729750.png
1626857692500.png

1626857666034.png
1626857617787.png

60D6620C-CDD1-44B9-8150-40B21F0D5EF4_1_105_c.jpeg

Looks great!! This is my next project so it’s great to see how you did this. Thinking about two shelves and leaving the bottom open for the shove factor :)

Currently making mosquito nets which is taking a while due to workloads elsewhere so think shelves will have to push back to end of summer.
I've replied to this. See post 4139 !

Wow, I am really impressed by this DIY! Really well done; it looks great! You don't happen to have made a (digital) model or a description or 'howto'? If these fit a T5 I might give it a go myself.
Hi, See my post 4139 today with more info. Good luck.

Finally took the plunge and got myself a Solar panel from @Roger Donoghue , gets delivered today.

The next stage is the bit thats always put me off buying one, fitting it. I’m not the best with that sort of thing.

I will probably put up photos when done, unless its a complete disaster

Finally took the plunge and got myself a Solar panel from @Roger Donoghue , gets delivered today.
I fitted one some time ago, with much trepidation. Although there were some glitches along the way, it's not too difficult to fit.

Just purchased this cool air blower for van and home, ie bedroom. Just tested it in the kitchen, not AC but really works well and quite on low speed which is sufficient for the van.

Total Cool about W220 H200 D220. image.jpg

I brought some of these, largely for the noise cancellation to block out road noise at night. I have almost convinced myself they were worth the money, I can’t take them off.

95A6C86E-5AB7-4187-8698-5ADB0CA264B1.jpeg

I brought some of these, largely for the noise cancellation to block out road noise at night. I have almost convinced myself they were worth the money, I can’t take them off.

View attachment 81806
We’ve both got Bose noise cancelling headphones (used most on long haul flights - remember those!). They are brilliant bits of kit.

55102C37-73C7-4442-9151-16AEFC14F62E.jpeg

1626886047562.png

Evapolar evaCHILL Personal Portable Air Cooler and Humidifier, we purchased 2 of these last year for home and work very well. Going to take on in the Cali this weekend to see how it works, just to cool the air at night, low setting will last around 7/8hrs.​

Item dimensions L x W x H 17.8 x 17.8 x 17.8 centimetres
Item weight 1.7 Pounds

View attachment 81821

Evapolar evaCHILL Personal Portable Air Cooler and Humidifier, we purchased 2 of these last year for home and work very well. Going to take on in the Cali this weekend to see how it works, just to cool the air at night, low setting will last around 7/8hrs.​

Item dimensions L x W x H 17.8 x 17.8 x 17.8 centimetres
Item weight 1.7 Pounds
They can be very effective, but remember to ventilate the van well as the 800 mls of water is deposited in the van, a confined space compared to a room or office.

After taking delivery of my new Ocean earlier this week, I have been busy shopping! Based on the invaluable advice on here, I’m starting with essentials, and will then suss out what else we are missing as we go.

Purchased:
Spare safe
Thetford 335
25m hook up cable
Brandrup Second Skin Seat Covers for 2-seater bench “Circuit/Palladium” (note, as they are quite expensive, I wanted to see what they were like before splashing out on the front seats too. I’m really happy with the quality, so will be ordering the fronts shortly)
Ridge monkey XL
Mattress sheets (double from Dunelm)
Drawer kit for under the sink (came back into stock yesterday in the club shop)
Anker PowerCore Essential 20000 Powerbank

Still to purchase:
Brandrup second skin seat covers for front seats
Carpet from Campervancarpets.com
Gas bottle
Surf key
Dashcam (I seem set on the blackvue based on comments on here (thanks GG) plus my own research. I was looking at the DR750x 2CH but noticed there is now an upgraded DR900x 2CH. Will mull this one over a bit more. Once I do take the plunge, I’ll get it fitted properly (probably at SatNav Systems in Surbiton)
Solar panels from from Roger

More research required:
Best solution for a hose/funnel attachment to help fill the water tank
Strip LED lights for internal decoration - deemed an essential item by my wife :)

Setting off on our first trip later today (a short 2 night break). Let’s see what gets added to the list….

Back