Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What have you bought for your Cali today :-)

My joker has one of them, not sure how that compares on price but is the right tool for the job.
Hope it works.View attachment 84427
Thank you. That is useful and if this works out well, then will upgrade to that one. On price it is £38 versus £99 but then the Thetford has some required features. . I will check the dimensions as well, as fitting into the boot space was the main consideration. :thumb

Unfortunately no, so yes, will be careful. Not travelled with it yet. Will report back - if I live to tell the tale :bananadance2
I would rethink this again. This is designed to empty grey water, which has no solids.
When you'll empty this grey water tank full of "black" water, and we now that regardless how much aquakem you put in, solid waste will still be present, it will make a mess. It will splash and get dirty and you'll have a hard time preventing splashes to yourself too. That because it is missing a spout and a release valve like the PP.

Hardly recommend a test with clear/clean water, some clean toilet paper, and some clean solids, likes bottle corks , anything that can resemble ... you know what. Than try empting it in you home WC, and you'll assess the feasibility.
That's what I'd do.

I would rethink this again. This is designed to empty grey water, which has no solids.
When you'll empty this grey water tank full of "black" water, and we now that regardless how much aquakem you put in, solid waste will still be present, it will make a mess. It will splash and get dirty and you'll have a hard time preventing splashes to yourself too. That because it is missing a spout and a release valve like the PP.

Hardly recommend a test with clear/clean water, some clean toilet paper, and some clean solids, likes bottle corks , anything that can resemble ... you know what. Than try empting it in you home WC, and you'll assess the feasibility.
That's what I'd do.
@Calimili , we only use the PP for #1's. for #2's it is Bog in a Bag. Though, agree with you (and the earlier notes from @GillianC as well as @4x4 joker got me thinking) - there is a difference between waste water and waste. Did test it, and pouring and all was fine, though, with chemicals etc, the waste water tank may not be built for handling chemicals along with the waste and I think I will do better with a Thetford Cassette.

Ok, so change of plans - the smaller Thetford waste water tank ordered :thumb

Thank you all for your inputs, else may have ended up with a bit of a mess :bananadance2

@Calimili , we only use the PP for #1's. for #2's it is Bog in a Bag. Though, agree with you (and the earlier notes from @GillianC as well as @4x4 joker got me thinking) - there is a difference between waste water and waste. Did test it, and pouring and all was fine, though, with chemicals etc, the waste water tank may not be built for handling chemicals along with the waste and I think I will do better with a Thetford Cassette.

Ok, so change of plans - the smaller Thetford waste water tank ordered :thumb

Thank you all for your inputs, else may have ended up with a bit of a mess :bananadance2
Could have been a shitty situation ;)
For side reference, this year on holiday I was on a pitch with grey water connection, but to put the Cali in the best position within the pitch for view etc I couldn't connect the grey water hose to the Cali. I used a collapsible 10L decathlon canister connected to the grey water hose of the Cali and emptied manually every two days, simulating the job the tank you have bought is designed to do.
It was a 30sec job every two days, way quicker and convenient than move the Cali to a grey water gully. So , for longer stay in the same pitch, the tank you have bought has its merits..

Last edited:
[
We have the Porta Potti, which has a capacity of 11 L and we can survive 2-3 days off grid, before the PP fills up. The FIAMMA waste tank will enable us to empty the PP into the tank and extend off-grid usage of the PP to a max of 6-8 days or so off-grid, before we need to find a chemical disposal point.

On our way to Finland & North Norway soon, and will be off-grid quite a bit.

This fits into the rear boot very comfortably and is air tight - so no smells etc.
I would have just bought another Porta Potti & taken the bottom cassette only. Then when needed just swap the top part over onto the empty tank. The bottom part is about as space efficient as you can get.

[

I would have just bought another Porta Potti & taken the bottom cassette only. Then when needed just swap the top part over onto the empty tank. The bottom part is about as space efficient as you can get.
Very sensible idea. No pouring of nasty stuff from one container to another.
Could avoid an explosive situation.

Some tat from AliExpress (£15):

View attachment 84486

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003268672674.html

Stick it in a bucket and it pumps hot water (will use the stove to heat water)

edit: Bought the bucket as well. (£4.94)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002759257353.html
View attachment 84487

I plan to get rid of the shower and try and make the shower on the van work with it via the quickconnector (so I don't have to carry two shower heads).
I've been looking for one of those. Strong enough flow to rinse a muddy dog down?

I've been looking for one of those. Strong enough flow to rinse a muddy dog down?
Will see when it turns up but I figure for £15 it's worth a punt (they sell on amazon uk for double+):

In action:

Edit: Think this vid is of the exact unit ordered:

Last edited:
Will see when it turns up but I figure for £15 it's worth a punt (they sell on amazon uk for double+):

In action:
I've seen that too. They look identical. I suppose their all the same

I have had a "ring" one for years - seldom used it it feels more faff once you have made some lovely warm water we tend to just splosh that about with a cup :)

Bought the IKEA zip up bags today for storing bedding when travelling small triumph as these seem to be out of stock everywhere in Europe but found them online in Bratislava so did a detour on the way home from Croatia.449D053C-EFCF-44EF-BC6F-528701D26BC9.jpeg

A bag! If you ask - why? - will be off grid for a while and just wanted an outside bin bag to ensure that we can carry any trash along with us. Did not want to spend £90 on a trasharoo. £18 - Used Czech Military bag.

PXL_20210918_180658614.jpg

130 watt portable panel, didnt want roof mounted for several reasons. Got it from amazon for 99 quid with cables and cheap controller but all works fine and managed 3.5 amps this morning in a shaded sun. Good quality build and nice neoprene bag to keep it in
Hi which battery did you connect to and how
thanks

An awning side panel from California Camping in Germany. It is made from the same material as the Brandrup panels but they are fully customisable i.e. with/without door/window. I will now order the other 2 panels so I can make an awning room.

This might be heresy on this forum but I find the Comfortz panels too bulky. On the plus side there will be a Comfortz awning room for sale soon!

PXL_20210920_073835527.jpg

[

That’s what we do I works really well and takes up little space

An awning side panel from California Camping in Germany. It is made from the same material as the Brandrup panels but they are fully customisable i.e. with/without door/window. I will now order the other 2 panels so I can make an awning room.

This might be heresy on this forum but I find the Comfortz panels too bulky. On the plus side there will be a Comfortz awning room for sale soon!

View attachment 84607
Do you have a link?
Are these the ones with the side panels that fit perfectly?

Do you have a link?
Are these the ones with the side panels that fit perfectly?

I haven't tried fitting the panel yet as it only arrived this morning. However what I like is that you can specify each of the 3 panels with/without a door/window. Also the front panel can either be "short" or "long" with optional triangular sections between the side and "long" front panel. Have a look at the photos and it should make sense.

I ordered this panel on its own so that it sneaked in below the import tax limit. I will do the same for the second side panel but i think the front panel will be more than £139 so will attract import duty/tax.

I haven't tried fitting the panel yet as it only arrived this morning. However what I like is that you can specify each of the 3 panels with/without a door/window. Also the front panel can either be "short" or "long" with optional triangular sections between the side and "long" front panel. Have a look at the photos and it should make sense.

I ordered this panel on its own so that it sneaked in below the import tax limit. I will do the same for the second side panel but i think the front panel will be more than £139 so will attract import duty/tax.
Looks great.
Appears to provide a much more spacious room than the Comfortz panels we have.

A collapsible Addis laundry basket £7.99 in Lidl. Can be used flat, partially or fully opened. 22 litre capacity.
Can see it having many uses, washing up, shower tray, muddy boots, storage, carrying things back and forward to the van….

6932E700-F0F4-4BEC-84E2-CC544DC4852B.jpeg

4267BC7F-8288-48E5-8750-8A4B41C7D26D.jpeg

8AAAC0EB-1BF2-403F-B355-F9720E3F407F.jpeg

You need one of these.

Stopped the attendant, at a garage in Italy, putting in petrol.
I just placed an order as I'm planning to spend a lot of time in Italy, so thanks @WelshGas for the heads up.

Back