Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California Coast: Would you consider one if available in the UK?

Just to add..... Doing a deal, under £40K will bear no relevance when it comes to paying VED. As.... DVLA will apply VED on vehicles with a MRP of over £40K, similar to how they currently tax company cars owners for benefit in kind.

Just to add..... Doing a deal, under £40K will bear no relevance when it comes to paying VED. As.... DVLA will apply VED on vehicles with a MRP of over £40K, similar to how they currently tax company cars owners for benefit in kind.
Wot I just said :)

If you look at the table noted VRT, that only applies to vehicles driven in Ireland, you get the VRT amount off also if you export, so your figure would be €5931 to €7562 less (£5052 to £6442)

I cut and pasted it from Billy above, tried VW ireland here but doesn't seem to have prices listed!

I cut and pasted it from Billy above, tried VW ireland here but doesn't seem to have prices listed!
Yes I tried the VW ie site, only Cali download brochure was for 2011 T5 :headbang

If I were buying new I'd want a Coast with optional heater :)

Absolutely correct. But there soon might be a market for buying California base models for under £40,000 MRP with just chassis, engine, body and two front seats with rear rails, then having things like rear seats, wardrobes, toilets. bellows and kitchen pods added as modular after market accessories.

I can't imagine the VW UK dealership network standing by and letting vehicles in via Ireland that are going to take business away from them.
I'm sure VW Germany would soon be asked to close the loop hole.

Absolutely correct. But there soon might be a market for buying California base models for under £40,000 MRP with just chassis, engine, body and two front seats with rear rails, then having things like rear seats, wardrobes, toilets. bellows and kitchen pods added as modular after market accessories.
I can just see that in practice. 2 factory fitted seats £750 and 2 after purchase seats from VW £2,250.
3 year warranty on the base and 1 year or less on all the extras.
What would you save over 5 years - nothing. In fact it would probably cost you.

It is not really a loophole is it, I know camperking buy most of their vans in from Ireland for conversation, they have been doing this for many years now. VW are still selling the vans at the end of the day and it might make VWUK consider actually selling the Coast in the UK which is obviously in high demand

It is not really a loophole is it, I know camperking buy most of their vans in from Ireland for conversation, they have been doing this for many years now. VW are still selling the vans at the end of the day and it might make VWUK consider actually selling the Coast in the UK which is obviously in high demand
It could be that the converters are using their transporter buying clout to influence the UK operation to avoid importing the Coast. If that model turned up at the NEC next week priced around £40,000 for the basic version it would blow all the conversions out of the water.

Importing vehicles from Ireland is nothing new, my dad imports a lot of agricultural vehicles from Ireland as when the conversion is in your favour there are big savings to be had, we also have a Caravelle that came from Dublin.

The VW California Coast is bascially a cut down version of the Ocean, the main difference is it has a manual roof just like the Beach.

It still has a full Kitchen and cupboards just like the Ocean and choice of engines from 102ps up to 204ps 4Motion. Hi I just hi I just ordered a coast here in Ireland 54 Euro with a few extras should have it in may if I wanted the auto roof it would have cost an extra 2400

The other options that do not come as standard are:
Power latching tailgate
Power latching side door
Body Coloured Mirrors
Fog Lights
Aux Heater
Heated front seats

Also there is a choice of cupboard colour ( dark wood or white ) and choice of flooring ( std grey or wood effect)

So, if this was available in the UK in RHD would you consider it?
Hi I just ordered
We would certainly be very interested in a coast with a manual roof.

The electric roof is fine when in warranty but outside of warranty it scares the life out of me everytime I close it.

Also with the coast you have different choice of bellows colour, flooring and cabinet colours.
Agreed, I would also have gone for the coast , love the idea of the manual roof, I am assuming you can then just spec it up to Ocean standard.

Just un update on this and some answers to your questions.

1. Having spoken to both VW Ireland and UK, they confirm the warranty is a pan European warranty of 2 +1 years from VW Germany.

2. We have also contacted several insurers and no problems at all with insurance, they all said they deal with much more complicated imports than this in the motohome and campervan industry.

Back