Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What is your fall back meal of choice whilst Cali-ing?

Another really quick tasty :

quesadilla:
take your tortilla wrap, ( I use small ones),
put it in a dry or lightly oiled frying pan on moderate heat,
fill with cheese, pre cooked meat / ham etc, add any spices, or any other filling you choose (pickled chillies, onion, guacamole etc)
fold in half ( over onto the filling) and then cooked until the cheese starts to melt, turn over to cook the other side until lightly toasted.
I bet you won’t only eat one !

you can do the same without folding the tortilla, , toast one side as above, turn over, add topping to the toasted side as above for a crunchy thin pizza style

Sausage and beans is really the only one that I can remember now. There was one particular that was best avoided at all cost but can't remember what flavour that was.
Ah! That would be Mutton Scotch Style if I remember correctly. The only thing you could do to make it edible was put curry powder in it. That’s the MOD for you!

Anyone else got a thing about not cooking in the van? . With this in mind I pretty much only bbq when I’m in my cali. Sunshine = bbq, rain = bbq, weather were you wonder whether keeping the awning out = bbq. To be fair I just like bbq even did the turkey on the kamado at Xmas.

my fav road trip meal…

ring of 40 chicken wings - slow cooked on the Cobb. (Use plate and then put wire rack on top to keep off direct heat - I use tin foil wedges to get the rack even higher into the dome) - cook for 1hr 30mins. (Rub wings before cooking with 1 tbsp of each: Onion salt, paprika, oregano, garlic powder, mustard powder, cayenne pepper & sugar and yes I keep these all in the van )

Anyone else got a thing about not cooking in the van? . With this in mind I pretty much only bbq when I’m in my cali. Sunshine = bbq, rain = bbq, weather were you wonder whether keeping the awning out = bbq. To be fair I just like bbq even did the turkey on the kamado at Xmas.

my fav road trip meal…

ring of 40 chicken wings - slow cooked on the Cobb. (Use plate and then put wire rack on top to keep off direct heat - I use tin foil wedges to get the rack even higher into the dome) - cook for 1hr 30mins. (Rub wings before cooking with 1 tbsp of each: Onion salt, paprika, oregano, garlic powder, mustard powder, cayenne pepper & sugar and yes I keep these all in the van )
I presume you don't have a kitchen at home then. :thumb :Iamsorry

Ah! That would be Mutton Scotch Style if I remember correctly. The only thing you could do to make it edible was put curry powder in it. That’s the MOD for you!
Yes that was probably it. All I know is that it was universally spurned whenever it was trotted out. Of all the things they could have chosen to put in a can and they chose that!

7817ec74495d1e6b101c8b12b1e7de60.jpg

Soups all kind of soups, water and wine for us. And cooking inside. Use that kitchen. He likes to be a chief. Enjoy your meal.

Thai green curry ..

Thai green or red paste
Garlic
Chicken
Olive oil
Coconut milk
Basmati rice
Fry the chicken in the olive oil
Add the chopped garlic
Cook through
Add the paste
Add the coconut milk
That’s it done!!!!
All this normally cooked outside on the cadac while the rice cooked inside the van.
Cooked this in the alps in early evening in winter and so many campers walking past our pitch were telling us how good it smelled

Sausage and beans is really the only one that I can remember now. There was one particular that was best avoided at all cost but can't remember what flavour that was.
tinned all day breakfast, lasts for ages as it not the first choice as with curried haggis in a tin which was surprisingly good.

Super noodles mild curry, tinned tuna and tinned veg or salad.

Well I tried one this morning just for you.
View attachment 77369
I cannot say that it was the finnest culinary experience I have ever had but then again it was only a pot noodle so that was never likely. Lets just say that this particular example didn't float my boat. The previous (my first) Pot Noodle didn't either so I'm sorry but Pot Noodles won't be in our emergency "fall back" stash. :thumb
@Borris I am honoured you tried this. I agree that it is a bit of a Marmite thing ;)

@Borris I am honoured you tried this. I agree that it is a bit of a Marmite thing ;)
Don't get me wrong, I can see the attraction of PNs. They are cheapish and quick to prepare with little effort involved. No wonder students like them! However, IMO eating, even the simplest of meals, should always give you pleasure otherwise it's just fuel. Unfortunately, for me at least, eating a Bombay Bad Boy Pot Noodle didn't give much pleasure. :thumb

I see that most of these menus contain meat or dairy. There will a few sad spaces in cupboards and fridges if we cannot these items into the E U.

I see that most of these menus contain meat or dairy. There will a few sad spaces in cupboards and fridges if we cannot these items into the E U.
Substitute meat for Quorn ?

We should be eating insects.

Not another link to the Guardian!!!

If we were meant to eat insects we'd probably all have long sticky tongues and no interest Californias. Since that's clearly not the case, I'll pass thank you. I'd rather eat a Pot Noodle.

When travelling we always carry tinned new spuds baby carrots peas & tinned stewed steak and if we have them add chopped fresh onion and red pepper to the steak or our other go to is make a corned beef hash and serve with beans.

Both filling and quick to prepare.

I always carry some noodles in pots. Not the dreaded Pot Noodles because I agree those are vile. But I don’t mind Kabuto Rice Noodles (chicken ramen flavour) for the teenagers, and Itsu Gluten Free Rice Noodles in the satay flavour for me.

I also always have a tin of rice pudding, and some dried pasta and rice on hand. Plain boiled rice with some Furikake (mine is a mixture of sesame seeds and dulce flakes, with a few chilli flakes) is quick and easy. Or pasta with olive oil and chilli flakes and garlic (I usually have a head of garlic in the van cupboard too, I just swap it out when I need a new one in the kitchen!)

When travelling we always carry tinned new spuds baby carrots peas & tinned stewed steak and if we have them add chopped fresh onion and red pepper to the steak or our other go to is make a corned beef hash and serve with beans.

Both filling and quick to prepare.
Snap, although you've gone all Jamie Oliver with the red peppers.

7817ec74495d1e6b101c8b12b1e7de60.jpg

Soups all kind of soups, water and wine for us. And cooking inside. Use that kitchen. He likes to be a chief. Enjoy your meal.
Do you really need instructions how to warm up soup? Or is it made from locally sourced fresh ingredients?

Do you really need instructions how to warm up soup? Or is it made from locally sourced fresh ingredients?
We are currently away camping and have brought our Mr Ds slow cooker with us. Because the contents require a fair amount of liquor to cook in we normally have a soup starter and then the contents as a main with crusty bread. In effect thin soup followed by thick soup. Gorgeous!

Back