Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What is your fall back meal of choice whilst Cali-ing?

Yeah, I thought that too. You’d have thought firefighters would have the resource to set up a BBQ over the burning embers of the skip, garden shed, Tesla, block of flats, heathland or whatever else had gone up in flames.

Also a better way of conserving the planet. Why pump more gases of combustion into the atmosphere?

Vandals, the lot of them :shocked

For two quick stand-by meals we have:
1. a bag of penne pasta and a jar of pesto (add smoked salmon from the fridge if we have some)
2. a pack of gnocchi and a jar of puttanesca sauce (add chopped chorizo if we have some)
Both can just be cooked in one big pan. Quick meal, minimum fuss and minimum washing up.
And add a bottle of wine!

The idea of Firefighters needing to find a heat source is somehow making my eyes swivel :)
Finding a heat source wasn't usually a problem. Feeding a large bunch of often cold, wet and hungry firefighters on the fireground sometimes was. Over the 30 years I spend in the service this process varied greatly. In the beginning a crew not involved with the incident was usually ordered by brigade control to drive to the nearest bakery, usually in the middle of the night, in order to obtain fresh bread. Then they had to make dozens of rounds of "mashed monkey" (corned beef) sandwiches and large erns of tea. When ready they then delivered it to the fire ground. A large stash of corn beef was held at certain locations for just such eventualities. If you didn't like "mashed monkey" you were in the wrong job! The bulk provision of said hot cans was the latest idea in the years before I retired in 2005.
Another method for smaller jobs was to send someone down the local chippy with a bulk order. This wasn't too bad if you'd managed to contact them beforehand. However, as a newly fledged firefighter in the mid seventies, I remember being despatched to a nearby fried food emporium with a shipping order. Unfortunately nobody had contacted them first. When reaching the head of a long queue I passed over my list. The proprietor raised his eyebrows and read the list out loud.

There was very nearly a riot behind me!

Last edited:
We always have “1st night pasta”. The kids expect it now. I’ve even changed our enamel plates to plastic as I was always frustrated how quickly it got cold.
Pasta with pesto or Lloyd Grossman sauce occasionally with added halloumi.
My kids were absolutely gobsmacked when they saw Lloyd Grossman jar as they couldn’t understand why it had a picture of me on it.
99D7D848-85E3-4192-AD5A-60D87D518613.jpeg
My whole family thought this was hilarious. It is quite uncanny.

Yeah, I thought that too. You’d have thought firefighters would have the resource to set up a BBQ over the burning embers of the skip, garden shed, Tesla, block of flats, heathland or whatever else had gone up in flames.
:D Visions of a slowly rotating spit roast come to mind. Alas I don't think the taint of burnt rubber, plastics, chemicals etc etc would prove that popular.

Tesco tinned chicken Jalfrezi curry is worth a try. With nan and, of course, beer.

This is a good thread. I’m slightly curious what the owners who wash their vans in rainwater and children’s tears eat. Boris is the only crossover I can spot.

Chicken tikka (dry mix), rice and flat bread

cube chicken, chop onions, place in plastic bag add dry mix to taste, chill / freeze, stick in van fridge / freezer = BBQ / fry onsite

20 minute meal

These are great and can be mixed with any old thing you have to hand. Loads of different types and available in lots of supermarkets. Long shelf life as long as the packet stays in good nick.

One pouch will serve 2 easily and will fit in a Ridgemonkey XL, or cook in any pan with a lid. Just add a couple of tablespoons of water.

Super noodles and tinned hot dogs or chickpeas. Served with a splash of soy sauce and chilli sauce. Batchelors packet pasta can also be served in a similar way.
Recently discovered longlife rosti from Waitrose, just fry up with a bit of cheese or a fried egg.

Not had enough excursions to use our back up meal yet but, following in my Glasto footsteps, it will be a M&S curry and rice. Brings back so many happy memories, I might just take it in our next trip anyway.

These are great and can be mixed with any old thing you have to hand. Loads of different types and available in lots of supermarkets. Long shelf life as long as the packet stays in good nick.

One pouch will serve 2 easily and will fit in a Ridgemonkey XL, or cook in any pan with a lid. Just add a couple of tablespoons of water.

Thanks have just found they sell these at Ocado online so have added this to my store cupboard along with other peoples suggested M&S tinned curry, for when I fancy a change from Toasties!
Loving this thread for quick & simple ideas.

For a quick no-planning or preparation.... MOD MRE. Easy to store for ages. Hot, tasty (although admittedly not gourmet). Can be eaten for months (years) past the best before date. 5 minutes in boiling water. Get them online or from surplus stores.

Cold meal.... French sausage and cheese with crisps.

Quick hot meal.... omelette in the ridge monkey. Tomatoes, mushrooms, sausage bits, cheese.

With a quick shop.... Steak in the ridge monkey. Onions, tomatoes, mushrooms. Probably as a sandwich.

For a first night away..... pre-frozen meal from home. Beef stew in a takeaway tub.

At any time.... Full English breakfast in the ridge monkey.

Tins always in the van.... Corned beef and beans.

They look interesting and ideal for both general and fall back purposes. Do they have any special storage requirements?

We had something similar in the fire service for feeding the troops at large or protracted incidents, although in that case the food was in self heating cans.
View attachment 77241
Just use the pricker (supplied) to pierce the area surrounding the lid in several places and a short while later after an exothermic reaction has taken place, you had yourself a hot meal in a tin. You had to remember to open the tin slightly or the owner could end up wearing most of it. I used to carry a couple in my car. They were ideal for those occasions where I found myself tired and cold, kicking my heals somewhere in the middle of the night. One of those chaps made all the difference.

Sausage and beans was the king of hot cans. There’d be many moans if another flavour appeared.

Sausage and beans was the king of hot cans. There’d be many moans if another flavour appeared.
Sausage and beans is really the only one that I can remember now. There was one particular that was best avoided at all cost but can't remember what flavour that was.

Chinese chicken with boil in bag rice is our standby.
soften some onion in oil, add some chopped garlic and diced chunks of chicken breast - when the chicken is cooked through add one jar of Chinese chicken sauce from Tesco and some frozen peas (and or finely sliced mushrooms- warm through - delicious :)

Give the Bombay Bad Boy a try @Borris
Well I tried one this morning just for you.
20210425_134315.jpg
I cannot say that it was the finnest culinary experience I have ever had but then again it was only a pot noodle so that was never likely. Lets just say that this particular example didn't float my boat. The previous (my first) Pot Noodle didn't either so I'm sorry but Pot Noodles won't be in our emergency "fall back" stash. :thumb

If your after a very quick non perishable / long life example:

Dried Egg Noodles, put in a pan of boiled water and steep for 5 minutes
pour out the water, saving a little in a cup
add Peanut butter and sweet chilli sauce immediately and stir to combine , pour on the previously saved water to loosen the mixture

you’d be surprised how good that 5 minute meal tastes and how filling it is

you can embellish with whatever else takes your fancy.

Last edited:
Canned “cheese posessed”! Not a meal but an army ration pack in days gone by.

M&S tinned chicken curry and rice.

Given a little more time to prepare, bolognese sauce, prepared at home, frozen, and semi defrosted in the CFX on the way to our destination. Usually served with conchiglie because spaghetti is such a pain in a small camping saucepan.
Had forgotten about the tinned m&s curries!

Back