Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What size wheels do you have?

cozmo1589

cozmo1589

VIP Member
I'm thinking of changing my wheels. Considering 22" alloys with low profile tyres. I have seen them on a T5.1 Transporter (see pic) and they look right tasty. Would these suit the California's image or are they a bit too radical and should I tone it down a bit and opt for 20"? Interested to see what fellow Cali owners have done to theirs so please put up as many pics as you want ;-)
6y5u5ame.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397595461.117438.jpg

I'm keeping out of this one lol

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

my 2 cents : I find it quite ridiculous to try and make a van look like a sports car. It's a van people! The main point of the Cali (in my opinion) is that it has to be practical. I don't say it should not look good in the process, but if I had the money, I'd rather invest it in something "useful".

Had 20" on for a while... ride was terrible... in my opinion the Cali needs more than a little rubber to smooth out the crashiness (?)...

Got the 18" back on now, love them and wouldn't go any higher.

Looks are always subjective, I like bigger rims but won't compromise on comfort for them anymore.

Hope this helps,

Rgds
M

Same as everyone else, 18" maximum before ride and looks become stupid

Freeley said:

lol - it's all personal taste but I am not a fan of big wheels, on a T5 anything about 18" starts to look silly, personally, i find with the T5 it's the style of the wheel that makes a difference.

I've just go the baby factory 16", I would not go any bigger then 18"

James

Horses for courses and depends what image you want,I've changed my mind a bit regarding wheels as it would be boring all of us going down the practical route,so good to see some variation on a theme ,I have gone for 18"Tuscon's ,but 20 " s look good ,not sure about 22"s though ?

18" Sportlines, I don't think I would like any bigger I would imagine the drive would deteriorate.. even 18's have an impact to how the van drives. My wife didn't notice but I think the profile of the road is a lot more noticeable since fitting them compared to when it had the standard 16" wheels.

It doesn't look like a sports car but jot looks less like I've joined the Plymouth Brethren as those guys love a Silver T5 :lol:

SimplyDubs said:
Had 20" on for a while... ride was terrible... in my opinion the Cali needs more than a little rubber to smooth out the crashiness (?)...

Got the 18" back on now, love them and wouldn't go any higher.

Looks are always subjective, I like bigger rims but won't compromise on comfort for them anymore.

Hope this helps,

Rgds
M

Great advise thank you :)

James said:
Freeley said:

lol - it's all personal taste but I am not a fan of big wheels, on a T5 anything about 18" starts to look silly, personally, i find with the T5 it's the style of the wheel that makes a difference.

I've just go the baby factory 16", I would not go any bigger then 18"

James

Thank you James.

rippers said:
18" Sportlines, I don't think I would like any bigger I would imagine the drive would deteriorate.. even 18's have an impact to how the van drives. My wife didn't notice but I think the profile of the road is a lot more noticeable since fitting them compared to when it had the standard 16" wheels.

It doesn't look like a sports car but jot looks less like I've joined the Plymouth Brethren as those guys love a Silver T5 :lol:

Cheers mate ;-)

I thought about it for 18months but finally put some dark 18" sportlines on. Very pleased - nice ride, looks great. Couldn't tell the difference in ride compared to 17" thunders. Wish I did it earlier.

Custardtart said:
I thought about it for 18months but finally put some dark 18" sportlines on. Very pleased - nice ride, looks great. Couldn't tell the difference in ride compared to 17" thunders. Wish I did it earlier.

Thanks for that. Well when my tyres need replacing ill probably do the same and swap out my 17" Thunder Alloys for the same as you. Anything any bigger I'm sure won't suit the vehicle and will probably ruin the ride ;-)

I've just put our 18" Canberra alloys back on, having had 17" steels on all winter. I don't really notice a difference between the two ride wise, though I worry much less about potholes when the steels are on.....

shambly said:
I've just put our 18" Canberra alloys back on, having had 17" steels on all winter. I don't really notice a difference between the two ride wise, though I worry much less about potholes when the steels are on.....

Yeah that's the only trouble with alloys, pot and kerbs :-/ thanks for your contribution

Here's a pic of mine with -30mm springs and anthracite sportlines.

Sportlines Wheels.jpg

Custardtart said:

Yep I like that. I think those will do me when these tyres are ready for replacing. Cheers for posting ;-)

For what it's worth this is a 3 ton vehicle, so your comfort will suffer above about 18". This vehicle is about comfort so I personally don't like to feel the gravel of the road when I am on my hols for the sake of a set of wheels.... :D

A mate has 22s on his 180 van. It rides terribly, looks daft and scrapes the arches.
I'm happy with 17s - I always try and get the smallest wheels that fit over the brakes (17s for a 180). Never "got" the massive wheel thing.

Custardtart said:

The new colour sports lines look really nice on your blue Cali. :thumb

Thanks - I love them

I couldn't make up my mind whether to go for them but sooooo glad I did.

:D

Here is mine. 20" with 275/45 tyres which give a less harsh ride than low profiles.

It was a flip of a coin between these and the VW Sportlines. Sometimes I wish I had the Sportlines from a ride perspective, with our roads being bloody awful, it's really tempting to swap them.

Then again, I think these wheels look awesome.

I definitely wouldn't go bigger.

photo.JPG

Back