Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What to check when buying an ex demonstrator

simplek1

simplek1

Vehicle
Looking to buy
so excited that after 3 months we get to collect our ex demonstrator California Beach next Friday :bananadance2:bananadance2:bananadance2 is there a list somewhere of what goodies would have been in there from new so I can check that it's all ready for us next Friday? Also anyone who has bought a demonstrator before (@WelshGas I think I remember you saying yours was:)) any hints and tips to make sure it's perfect when we get there?

We are still two seats down, but the excitement of getting it, is winning through now and the extra seat/seats will be sorted asap once we've got him/her (I'm not sure yet) home!!

Thank you - have a great day everyone!!

so excited that after 3 months we get to collect our ex demonstrator California Beach next Friday :bananadance2:bananadance2:bananadance2 is there a list somewhere of what goodies would have been in there from new so I can check that it's all ready for us next Friday? Also anyone who has bought a demonstrator before (@WelshGas I think I remember you saying yours was:)) any hints and tips to make sure it's perfect when we get there?

We are still two seats down, but the excitement of getting it, is winning through now and the extra seat/seats will be sorted asap once we've got him/her (I'm not sure yet) home!!

I'm sure there's a list.
In case it doesn't show here are some starters...
Little cigarette lighter torch
Euro cable converter
Roof bed net
Door bin
Both chairs in tailgate
Table with four legs on and clips for rail (sometimes ocean tables get swapped in without the clips).
Magnetic blinds for windscreen and passenger and driver windows.
Alloy locking wheel nut

There's a handover checklist in the VIP downloadsection , subribe to VIP and get lots of benefits like discounts ,...
Makes no diffrence if you buy new , ex-demo or second hand ...it all needs to be there and should propperly work either way when you buy

Great news, make sure it definitely has front swivel seats :thumb

Great news, make sure it definitely has front swivel seats :thumb
Way to late now if he is already waiting 3months....
Thats the first thing to look for when checking out a Cali in the showroom ....no swivelseat....walk away....

I'm sure there's a list.
In case it doesn't show here are some starters...
Little cigarette lighter torch
Euro cable converter
Roof bed net
Door bin
Both chairs in tailgate
Table with four legs on and clips for rail (sometimes ocean tables get swapped in without the clips).
Magnetic blinds for windscreen and passenger and driver windows.
Alloy locking wheel nut

+ pole to wind out awning (if it has an awning)
+ flexible cigarette light for roof bed
+ service book

Mine was a demonstrator.

It should have everything in it that's included in the handover checklist that Wim mentioned, a resource that can be downloaded by VIP members. Otherwise it's walk through and check the condition, same as you would when buying any other vehicle off someone who has used it.

Definitely ask for the roof to be raised and check that the canvas and aluminium lid had not in any way been damaged by careless lowering.

Thank you very much.... we haven't seen it yet, purchased over the phone so I am really hoping that bay stone chips, or anything that makes it not perfect it sorted before we get there. Nervous about checking the roof is okay though - is there anything specific we should look for @GrannyJen ?

Swivel front seats are in the spec so hoping it does have them :Nailbiting

Think I will subscribe to VIP and get access to the list - I thought I'd read somewhere about one but couldn't find... that'll be why :thumb

@daveyboydanger thank you for the list - is that all standard?

Sorry unable to help you as mine was a New Build but there is a list in the Downloads Section.

We have purchased two cali ex demonstrators. Apart from it having a few demo miles on the clock, your Beach should be in show room, as new condition.

My advice would be:
1. download the check list and take it with you.
2. Allow plenty of time to carrry out a thorough inspection of the vehicle. Make sure that you check every panel methodically for any marks, dents or scuffs and make notes as you go. Check the wheels for any damage and thoroughly inspect the interior for marks and damage. Again be methodical and check every thing. It's best if you are left on your own for this check.
3. Go through the check list to ensure everything is present and correct.
4. Next insist that the sales person demonstrates all of your vehicles features especially the roof. Whilst it is up. inspect it for any damage to the canvas and aluminium top.
6. Discuss any items that you have found with the sales person and insist that they are rectified.
5. Don't be rushed into signing or paying over the cash until you are 100% happy.

Good luck and happy adventures.

P.s Phone ahead and insist that if it is raining, the vehicle must be indoors and dry in a well illuminated area for your inspection. Water on the paint will mask a multitude of sins.

Last edited:
I know I'm not going to be very popular but can I suggest getting the dealers to pull down a couple of sections of the rubber seal on the raising section of the roof and check for bubbling.
It could save you a return trip to the dealers at a later date and get you in the queue for repair sooner.

I know I'm not going to be very popular but can I suggest getting the dealers to pull down a couple of sections of the rubber seal on the raising section of the roof and check for bubbling.
It could save you a return trip to the dealers at a later date and get you in the queue for repair sooner.
Difficult to believe this has not been on the list of things to check so far after all the discussion there has been on this forum, concentrate on sides, check inside and out.

I understand your comment but with a 3 year warranty, why bother? Why not wait? If it is going to happen then why not wait until closer to the end of the warrant or visible signs. You know as well as I do that if it is present, repaired and recurs then VW will just blame the Bodyshop for a substandard repair. No one has confirmed that the repair has a 3 year warranty so why not wait and just enjoy the vehicle. On my Defender, bought new, I knew this problem was going to arise as they hadn't sorted in 47 years. It did just before the warranty. It was repaired and I was given a letter from the bodyshop giving a 3 yr warranty for that repair.
You know as well as I do that VW will not do anything because California Owners as a whole will not come together as a large group and complain directly to VW UK. They'll go on a Forum Camp but they wouldn't camp outside VW UK HQ with the Press and TV in attendance .
It is not a Safety Issue and so VW have no LEGAL obligations other than under their standard Warranty T's & C's which they are fulfilling. Sad but True. There is no point making the Moral argument because as we all know Big Corporations are totally Amoral when it comes to their Customers.

If I was buying from a dealer I would certainly be checking for the start of roof corrosion as it would not only get me in the system quickly, it would also give me some more room for negotiation.

As said in another post, imagine picking up a Mercesdes, or Range Rover and it has the start of corrosion apperearing, it would NOT be acceptable and would possibly end up in the vehicle being refused.

If I was buying from a dealer I would certainly be checking for the start of roof corrosion as it would not only get me in the system quickly, it would also give me some more room for negotiation.

As said in another post, imagine picking up a Mercesdes, or Range Rover and it has the start of corrosion apperearing, it would NOT be acceptable and would possibly end up in the vehicle being refused.
So you would be going around the vehicle removing rubber seals etc: I think not.
If it is visible agree, but this isn't until much later.

Hi simplek1, I did the same as you last month and bought an ex demonstrator unseen (the dealership was the otherside of the country). I totally agree with what others have said about downloading the check/handover list from the download section. It's a great resource and worth the VIP membership fee alone. Despite hours spent on this forum, there were several items that I didn't know came with a Cali.
But what I also did was email the checklist to the dealer and then got the salesman to make a detailed video showing not only the condition of exterior/interior but also one that showed everything was present. Most (if not all) VW dealers are set up to do this.
The dealership were so impressed with the checklist that they have kept it to use when they take in part exchange vehicles.

Last edited:
Enjoy the pick up and the years ahead.
Check all things that should be with the van are there, as said about before and on VIP check lists are with the the van.
I would say if not done already it is worth adding the extra 2 year warranty to the van (think it can be done up to 3 months from 1st registered).

Ask them if the leisure battery is the proper AGM it shoud be, mine was swapped with a lead acid one I can only assume because the original had conked out through lack of use.

Whilst I fully understand the concerns that the roof corrosion issue has caused, I did not include it in my post because it has been well established that this is a known issue and will probably be there to some degree or other. The OP has almost certainly read the threads related to this issue and has decided to go ahead with the purchase anyway. So why start dismantling a vehicle to discover what you know will almost certainly be present? It's only going to taint the purchasers hand over and collection experience. It's not as if VW will be able to effect a permenant long lasting repair if you discover corrosion. All they will do is book it in for one of their contracted out bodge up jobs. Anyway if it ain't there now it probably soon will be.
Unless a purchaser is prepaired to reject the vehicle and walk away like Snowy55 has bravely done then you might just as well not look and do as Welshgas has suggested and get the dealership to check just before the warrantee runs out. You never know, by then they may have come up with a permanent solution to this issue (although I am not holding out much hope of that happening).

Until then just enjoy.

The decision at present is a very simple one:

You either buy a gorgeous Cali with this known unresolved problem that will effect your vehicle at some point or you walk away and look for something else.

Last edited:
That is currently my plan too, to get it checked as late as possible or when the problem presents itself, whichever is sooner. I figure the longer it goes on the more likely they are to get a decent fix. I still have 4 years to go on my body warranty :)

That is currently my plan too, to get it checked as late as possible or when the problem presents itself, whichever is sooner. I figure the longer it goes on the more likely they are to get a decent fix. I still have 4 years to go on my body warranty :)
Be careful Matt, I read somewhere the VW consider this to be a paint issue therefore it would need to be checked before the end of the three year manufacturers warrantee. I don't know at the moment if an extended warrantee would cover this issue. Does anyone know?

Why are so many recent treads always turning in to the same direction regrading roofcorrosion.
There's more in life than that!

Why are so many recent treads always turning in to the same direction regrading roofcorrosion.
There's more in life than that!
Because it's back in the news big style, it has come as a bit of a shock to T6 owners that they might have the problem too. In the past people didn't realise they were possibly buying a brand new vehicle that already had corrosion / bubbling. It was assumed to be several years down the line before the problem raised it's head, but now we know your brand new £50-60k T6 might come with an added unwanted extra not listed in the large brochure.

All read and understood thank you. We are in Cambridgeshire and the van is in North wales so a long exciting journey with our three boys by train and an even more exciting journey on the way home - sending the list and getting them to do a video is definitely a very good idea, thank you @JonnieBoy our salesman is very laid back to say the least, so I fear we may not get the response you did but certainly worth a shot!!!

As I understand it, pulling the seal away to check for problems can just aggravate or create problems, so I think I had decided to just leave it for now. My husband may have other ideas before parting with the money, but I'm trying to keep it from him as he does get a bit negative on things if there's a chance it may not be perfect and worries about problems!!

Back