Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What Type of engine oil for my camper ?

Hulio3387

Hulio3387

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
We are away for Christmas and not near any major towns or cities. Local garages only. The “check your oil level” light has just come on. I am not able to identify what type of oil I need. The van is a 2020 T6.1 California ocean, 150bhp DSG. Please can anyone assist me?.

Are you sure you have a low oil warning. Have you checked with the dip stick? There are several incidences of an over fill problem triggering the warning due to oil expansion when the engine is warm. Let us know.
As for the type of oil, check the manual. That will indicate the oil weight, synthetic vs semi-synthetic etc, to use. Still waiting for my Cali so can't be more specific. The brand is less important but Audi recommends Castrol synthetic for their vehicles.

Would recommend you check the engine oil level carefully before considering adding more oil as Corradobrit has said above, there have been lots of discussions about engine oil levels in the T6.1
When the engine is cold on a level surface it would seem halfway between the min/max level is good from what others have said.
Have a read through the last couple of pages of this thread:

Think this adequately covers the increased oil level in 150 dsg T6.1.

First check that the oil level on dipstick is within guides and as stated in handbook.
If above max level may be a dilution problem so could use VW assist (AA call out) to resolve.

Opening and closing of bonnet May reset system and remove warning for short period.

If oil needs topped up this is VW statement

I have liaised with our Technical Team who advise that we do not quote 0W-30/5W-30 generally, the oil has to meet VW 507 00 standard. This specification should be printed on the container of whatever brand of oil is your preferred choice.

Both 0W-30 and 5W-30 can be used, in order to help you make the right choice for your needs, I include some general information below:

... or if you are able to tell us whereabouts you are, there may be a helpful club member nearby who maybe able to help?

As others have said (this is for a quick check)
- first, as now the engine may be cold, check the oil level with the dipstick. take it out. wipe it clean. dip it in. wait for 5 secconds. take it out and see the oil level.
- if the oil level is low, get a litre of CAstrol edge 5W30 LL from halfords and top up. use about 250 ML at a time and check with dip stick.
- if the oil level seems correct, then it is not an oil low level problem and OK to run the engine.
- warm up the engine for about 15 mins
- then switch off the engine when warm and wait for about 2 mins
- check the oil level, it may be high

If high, watch this video

Thanks for all the replies I did eventually fathom this issue and got hold of the relevant specification of oil managed a dip stick reading and I have opted for half a ltr today and see what the level looks like after a run out tomorrow. The level on the dipstick was towards the low level.

I would call out VW assist, if you need oil and can not get any due to location
Good grief. Has it really come to this, that people are going to call someone out because they didn't check from the manual which oil their vehicle uses and carry a small top-up supply when going on a trip? No wonder vehicles are so expensive if manufacturers have to provide that kind of "after service" free of charge.

Sorry for grumpy post-Xmas post, I realise that's the modern world. :headbang :happy

(Not sure if same on a T6, but on the T5 there's a great space for a bottle of oil under the bonnet next to the battery.)

Good grief. Has it really come to this, that people are going to call someone out because they didn't check from the manual which oil their vehicle uses and carry a small top-up supply when going on a trip? No wonder vehicles are so expensive if manufacturers have to provide that kind of "after service" free of charge.

Sorry for grumpy post-Xmas post, I realise that's the modern world. :headbang :happy

(Not sure if same on a T6, but on the T5 there's a great space for a bottle of oil under the bonnet next to the battery.)
And the 15 m hook up cable and jump leads and block of wood to spread the jack load and a small mat that keeps dry after using at the side door and an old tea towel to wipe hands on.:thumb:thumb

totally agree but if the OP is stuck without the means to get oil then that is one way to get help.

Back