Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Whats tha all reckon to this?

I’ve seen way worse in people’s houses working as a registered gas engineer.
Ah so you can tell us if the butane at this pressure/flow rate has enough energy to create a static issue?

Ah so you can tell us if the butane at this pressure/flow rate has enough energy to create a static issue?
I can tell you that that is not the only possible charging mechanism.

….actually I’ve just realised this is utterly pointless.

I don’t like it much. Unless the hoses are electrically dissipative, which they may not be, that metal union is an isolated conductor, which is a potential electrostatic discharge ignition hazard.
For those of us that are ignorant on these matters, other than replacing the cable ties with jubilee clips and a much longer bit of hose between the bottle and the quick release valve, I have been using a similar set up for years, what is wrong?
Isn’t this what the valves are sold for?

For those of us that are ignorant on these matters, other than replacing the cable ties with jubilee clips and a much longer bit of hose between the bottle and the quick release valve, I have been using a similar set up for years, what is wrong?
If those hoses are designed to be used with gas, and are electrically dissipative, nothings wrong with it. If the hoses are just random hoses found somewhere, and they happen to be an electrically insulating material, it could result in electrostatic discharges from the metal union. As I don’t personally know where all the elements came from, it just makes me a little uncomfortable. Which is why I said I don’t like it much, as opposed to saying it’s definitely not ok, as I am not sure.

Thanks, so using one of those quick disconnect valves on camping shop bought gas hoses should be fine.

Isn’t this what the valves are sold for?
Might be showing my ignorance here but since I have this setup both in the van and for my outside cooker i’m keen to understand the risks.
Inline quick release valves are sold by many suppliers of camping gas fittings. Surely they would not be sold if there was a safety risk?
My other thought is that before coupling/decoupling with the quick release valve, the regulator valve would most likely be closed, what would a static spark be igniting?

Edit - have read subsequent replies which i think answer my questions.

Having a person called "Lightning" near a gas installation is definitely a discharge risk.

This makes the “gas on/off whilst driving” debate look sensible!

Sense of humour?

Back