Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What's the point in this ?

Brianc26

Brianc26

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
image.jpg How can you use this power point or cup holder if the seat is covering it ?

I know its a stupid place for a 12v socket & cup holder

You can't really. It's there I think because if the base vehicle from which the Cali is converted

I have a stubby 12v USB plug with 1amp and 2.1 amp outputs that fits ok. Phone then sits in cup holder while charging.

When using the 5th seat, to generate more leg room we take out the rear bed extension & carry it upright strapped behind the rear bench, the bench can then slide back a lot further to leave the cup holder & socket fully useable.

Having said that, we have a 2 port usb adapter permanently plugged in there with the iphone charging leads sticking out ready for use in the back, its quite a handy hidden pocket, quite often theres a phone left in ours charging, its out of sight & a handy place for a rear passenger to leave it.

When using the 5th seat, to generate more leg room we take out the rear bed extension & carry it upright strapped behind the rear bench, the bench can then slide back a lot further to leave the cup holder & socket fully useable.

Having said that, we have a 2 port usb adapter permanently plugged in there with the iphone charging leads sticking out ready for use in the back, its quite a handy hidden pocket, quite often theres a phone left in ours charging, its out of sight & a handy place for a rear passenger to leave it.

Beware that leaving a plug connected in the socket , even with no electric divice attached to,it can drain your battery....

I've used it before,even though it's a squeeze
The cup holder I use for stuffing my doggy bags
One needs to utilize every bit of space !

Not if you pull the plug up so that its power light goes off.:thumb But I've now got my Solar Panel fitted and TheVan lives outside all year.

Last edited:
I have my macbook charger plugged in there.

A fiddle to get the 12V plug i, but once in it stays.

opposite is a seat pocket,

In the seat pocket, when travelling, is my macbook, and the charger lead flows across the floor to it, so on arrival at destination thanks to that "useless" socket I have 12 hours of macbook.

Pretty useful

I always thought it was for a travel kettle or similar; with those spring clips around the edge.
Ours just gathered dirt.

Always use this socket to charge my phone when not on hook up. Bit of a squeeze but works for me

Sent from my Galaxy S6

To avoid tripping over leads from the cup holder socket, you can run it through the channel which the rear seat slides on. Push the lead under the rubber cover. We've got a Beach and when travelling put the fridge behind the driver seat and run it off the rear cup holder socket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15549444-1EEE-4F58-B0A3-B7949DC0F943.jpeg ACB3E877-5DEE-472D-82DF-65CB02E78AD9.jpeg 7EB748C8-099A-4D6A-8511-5B3E8A2F4F76.jpeg FBF9FB3C-AB17-4DE2-AD66-C1353EC2FA99.jpeg 888BFBCF-E818-45DE-9BFC-F92A2C6E519A.jpeg I have found the Wonderboom speaker fits nicely in here.
The on off buttons are on the top and still accessible now matter where the seat is. Bluetooth volume controls so thats easy to use .
It can also be charged from the adjacent 12v via USB. With it being waterproof I have also used a hook to hang it from the awning, or anywhere.Sound and battery life is good. Several colours available to match your Cali.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06X6JCBBR/?tag=eliteelect-21

Last edited:
We have a charger with double USB. One with a short cable for the MiFi that lives in the Cup Holder. The other cable goes on the back seat for charging when on stay (on the road we charge form the outlet in the cockpit.

Its about as good as the one in the boot space, when loaded for a camping trip you cant use that either.

We use it (cupholder charger) to charge our mobiles (when driving or when we sleep downstairs). I like it.

Back