Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What's This?

Hi Andy

I'm pretty sure my Cali (2012) has a Webasto Airtop as the standard heater, or at least that's what it says on the inside of the door. I'll check again tomorrow though.

As you say, it should be possible to fit this just using levelling ramps. I just don't fancy lying on the floor doing it in this weather since I don't have a garage or anything to do it in. I think, it might need a bit of time underneath the van since you need to lower the heater and then fiddle around with wires/plugs etc. to connect it up. Let me know how you get on though if you do do it as I might give it a bash next summer.

Cheers
Mark

P.S. Also, it's not just the heater that uses the battery. It's also the fans for blowing the air into the cab. It might still be viable though if you don't do too many short journeys after using it.

Mark, yes they may well have changed to airtop for parking heater on 2012 models, mine is 2011. Yes of course also have the fan using power so could be a risk of draining the battery. Do we know it works off the main battery & not the leisure batteries ?

I don't have a garage either & had my cali up on the ramps today to lay underneath & investigate the heater. Wasn't to bad till my Mum arrived & I had to put splash guard on after drive was in shade, so was not warm. Would not want to make a habit of this though.
In my youth I worked as a diesel fitter & got called out to a tipper that could not tip his load. Was on the face of a tip & seriously cold & windy, spanners just about sticking to my hands !! All the air valves had frozen up on the truck.

In fact the Thermotop only needs 12v to be applied to the correct wire & it will run till the current is removed. It is possible to do this remotely with a cheap rf remote control module such as this one at £9. Could build a timer circuit to switch it off after 30 mins. Would be much cheaper than the telestart kit !

5.jpg

Andy said:
James I may fit one, still looking at options. Is the £700 just to supply & fit the telestart system ? Does your beach definitely have this heater fitted ?

Markh
All the parts that I've looked at are either genuine Wabasto or VW & are kits made of genuine parts that people are selling, encluding the ebay link that James posted in the first post of this thread. Sorced from a dealer (webasto or car) they are around £400. The actual heaters are around £1000.
Don't need special ramps, I just use my levelup chocks !
The Thermo Top C uses 32 watts at full load & 22 at partial as per the wabasto site details which is not a lot. Bearing in mind it would only get used for 30 or so minutes.
The Cali uses an Eberspacher Airtronic M D3 plus for paring heater not an Airtop. This uses a LOT of power to start up & relatively little once running. 100 watts at startup & 7 - 24 whilst running depending on setting.

Andy

I don't know what is fitted to my Beach - bit confused - I know in LHD according to the sometimes literal translation of google translate you can have a water heater as an option. So I am unsure what exactly is fitted to UK spec cars

I have to admit when I rung up a Webasto dealer close to me I knew none of this I was simply ringing out of curiosity to enquire about fitting an after market parking heater. The price was all in but an actual price could be vehicle dependent.

This thread came out when I was pursuing German e bay - looking at various parts.

Could a heater not run off the leisure battery>

These are the options for a Beach from VW Austria

tausströmung in the passenger compartment
Convection heater with timer (max running time 120 min, in kW. 3.5 kW)
Cooling circuit is not heated
Outlets on the B-pillar right below - note outflow back into the passenger compartment and the side of the cab in mind that despite separately controllable heating in each case, both the cab and the passenger compartment is heated!
Close EUR 2168.76

Cooling circuit is not heated
Outlets on the B-pillar right below - note outflow back into the living room as well as laterally into the cab please, despite the separately controllable heating in each case, both the cab and the living room heated!
Close EUR 1.848, -

Hot water heater with timer (maximum running time 120 min, in kW. 5 kW)
Cooling circuit is heated
Close EUR 706.20

hboard top center
Hot water heater with timer (maximum running time 120 min, in kW. 5 kW)
Cooling circuit is heated
Close EUR 1030.92

Similar for the Beach in Germany

3-zone air conditioning "Climatronic", 2nd Ve rdampfer, heater, air and sky additional operations in the passenger compartment
€ 2,600.15

Fresh air with activated carbon filter
€ 23.80

Air Con. "Climatic" (semi automatic) with 2nd Evaporator and second Hzg in the passenger compartment (with high-high roof hi as preparation)
€ 2,171.75

Air conditioning "Climatic" (semi-automatic) in the cab and 2 Heating of the passenger compartment
€ 1,451.80

Alos, I have a separate heater in the back of the Beach, with separate controls next to space by the Hazards. This seems standard for UK Beaches. How do these different options tie in with that?????

It would seem to me there is a whole range of different heating options??????

James

I think the only way to definately tell what betty has is to check when you get her back. See if there is a sticker on the drivers door by the lock, that lists any heater. Or to physically get under, take splash pannels of & have a look.

It sounds like German options are similar to UK.
Austrian option 1 sounds like our parking heater. 3 & 4 sound like the Thermotop with the ability to warm the engine coolant. Don't understand the difference between 1 & 2 apart from the price. Both use different names for spaces in the van though, cab passenger compartment & living area.
Confusing.

Andy said:
I think the only way to definately tell what betty has is to check when you get her back. See if there is a sticker on the drivers door by the lock, that lists any heater. Or to physically get under, take splash pannels of & have a look.

It sounds like German options are similar to UK.
Austrian option 1 sounds like our parking heater. 3 & 4 sound like the Thermotop with the ability to warm the engine coolant. Don't understand the difference between 1 & 2 apart from the price. Both use different names for spaces in the van though, cab passenger compartment & living area.
Confusing.

Lol it is. I know with my old Volvo C30 in cold countries you had an option of a pre warming heater operated from the key fob. That doesn't help I know... Lol

James

Andy said:
In fact the Thermotop only needs 12v to be applied to the correct wire & it will run till the current is removed. It is possible to do this remotely with a cheap rf remote control module such as this one at £9. Could build a timer circuit to switch it off after 30 mins. Would be much cheaper than the telestart kit !

5.jpg

Not 100% sure I would connect this up to a £40K van, risk that it would get switched on and off by the neighbours electric garage / convervatory blind / tv remote :eek:

Not 100% sure I would connect this up to a £40K van, risk that it would get switched on and off by the neighbours electric garage / convervatory blind / tv remote :eek:

Point taken. I was just meaning that there are less expensive ways of achieving the same sort of thing. Other rf remote controls are available that are probably more reliable & are more expensive.

Could just use a simple switch to 12v to test the viability of the whole thing.

Mark

Seeing as no one else was going to do it I bit the bullet & bought one of these today.
Probably will not get any more cold weather this winter now ! Will post updates as & when.

Andy said:
Seeing as no one else was going to do it I bit the bullet & bought one of these today.
Probably will not get any more cold weather this winter now ! Will post updates as & when.

Andy

Sorry, could you just explain what you are doing.

Cheers

James

Sitting at computer reading the forum with a cold beer in my hand, after a long day at work !!

Yes James I bought the Telestart kit, similar to the one you originally posted a link to.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181026636365

Has been despatched already, delivery 20th. Shall not get time to fit till after christmas.

beardie said:
Andy,
Did you fit this and have any success?
Thanks

Yes & no. Got the unit fitted & wire pushed through floor grommet. But not been able to get the electric plug security latch open in order to place the wire into it. Getting the wire through the floor entails disconnecting leisure batteries, removing the passenger seat & base so is not a five minute job.
Got frozen on last attempt as I have to work on the drive, which is a wind tunnel. Will have another go on a sunny warm day. It will get completed in time for next winter !!

Just wanted to say this is a great thread. Thanks. Interested to hear how you get on Andy when the weather's warmer :thanks

Did you get anywhere with this...???

I don't have the parking heater :cry:
However I have this sticker on the inside door and wonder what this Webasto unit does?

1C67D281-0ECF-4274-ACFB-CFFEC69B78FD-5630-0000042D78DBB561_zpscde5a0dd.jpg

Did you get anywhere with this...???

I don't have the parking heater :cry:
However I have this sticker on the inside door and wonder what this Webasto unit does?

When I last had a go on this I could not get the multi wire plug on top of the wabasto open to get the wire fitted. Got very cold doing it on the drive so shelved the project till summer, when & if it ever comes ! Getting too old to work on the drive under vehicles in the cold !

The Wabasto Thermo top c (which you have) is the heater that this mod fits onto. The engine coolant heater that comes on automatically when ambient temp is below 5 degrees to heat the engine coolant getting the engine up to running temp quicker.

rupertpoon said:
Found this which gives step by step instructions on installing the Webasto Telestart T91 to a T5 Multivan, but only with Climatronic.

http://www.carsystems.home.pl/carsystem ... _v1.01.pdf

However on the same site there are kits for the same upgrade for Climatic... So might be worth a punt.

Yes that is what thi thread is all about ! That is where mine came from as stated earlier, also are the limited instructions I have used.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

I also found on the site a Webasto guide to fitting a T91 kit for Climatic onto the T5. Unfortunately it looks a bit more complex, requiring a foray into the engine bay (my German is not that good). The instructions do cover variations for the 2004-2010 and 2010+ models.

For Climatronic it looks like all the bits are there and it 'just plugs in' :D which is great for Cali SE owners.

http://www.carsystems.home.pl/carsystem ... imatic.pdf

Here's the link for the Climatronic for 2004 on T5's:
http://www.carsystems.home.pl/carsystem ... T5_T91.pdf

Yes that is what thi thread is all about ! That is where mine came from as stated earlier, also are the limited instructions I have used.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2
Hello Andy im thinking of adding this option, did you ever get it fitted does it work ok, worth the effort :)

I'm interested too, wish I'd found this thread earlier! :thumb

Never finished installing on my cali. Could not get the electric plug out of the top of the heater so gave up before I broke it.
Someone else on here has fitted this & it works well.
You need to be aware that the heater will use power from the main van battery & if you use it for any length of time before a short journey then the alternator may not completely re-charge the battery.

I just use the parking heater, switched on via remote from my lounge & don't switch it off till I get heat from the heater.

Are we talking about the Engine Coolant heater and If its located under the passenger seat area where does the exhaust pipe exit? (I have a single Webasto Door Sticker)

Back