Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What's This?

I think it makes the already fitted heater remote control James, that's all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Stu said:
I think it makes the already fitted heater remote control James, that's all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think is an option on some european vans??????

I still think it's reasonably exciting :)

James

The listing suggests that it upgrades the engine heater to a parking heater. I thought previous threads established that the engine heater was only on when the engine was (to warm the cooling system up quicker).

The problem with the parking heater ( not connected to climatronic I believe) is that it blows into the rear of the van. What's needed for a frosty morning is warm air onto the windscreen.

Anyone tried one of these?

The web site of the ebay seller referenced above does have the following page with instructions to add the kit.

http://www.carsystems.pl/support,p9.html
http://www.carsystems.home.pl/carsystem ... T5_T91.pdf

They also confirmed to me that the kit is compatible with a facelift T5 California.

However there are no details as to how you turn on the heater (other than the obvious that you use the remote control)

I also contacted a Webasto distributer to ask if they could fit such a kit. They started grumbling about complicated german cars and the electronics so I dont suspect I will get any thing further from them

If it was not soo cold outside I would go under my cali & check out exactly what heater I have physically fitted ! It does not look anything like in the photos in the pdf in beardies link !!

The whole issue of aux (non engine created heat) heaters has got me perplexed. Based on this I may brave the elements tomorrow & investigate exactly what is fitted on my cali in the way of aux heaters.

It was my belief that calis for UK had Ebspacher Airtronic M D3 Plus only fitted.
The Webasto Thermatop C being fitted to calis sold in countys with much colder climate than UK ie Scandinavia. This heater heats the engine coolant to assist starting & prevent engine freezing up in servere temperatures. It can be modified to heat the cabin as well. Maybe possible to adapt it to heat water for washing. This is the heater the remote starter kit on Ebay in Kevs link is for use with.

My cali, as well as other peoples, has a sticker on the edge of the drivers door that lists both the above Wabasto & Ebespacher heaters. This may suggest they are both fitted but I dont see we have a use for both in UK so why would VW go to extra expense of fitting both ??

This is all very interesting - I don't have climtronic but if I did and I had the chance to fit OEM VW stuff that allowed it to be used as a parking heater, I would be tempted.

But is this that? i know there are after market kits etc.

James

Custard said:
This is all very interesting - I don't have climtronic but if I did and I had the chance to fit OEM VW stuff that allowed it to be used as a parking heater, I would be tempted.

James

The link I posted to the ebay sellers web site had a similar kit for non-climatronic (or no aircon)

http://www.carsystems.home.pl/carsystem ... imatic.pdf

beardie said:
Custard said:

James

The link I posted to the ebay sellers web site had a similar kit for non-climatronic (or no aircon)

http://www.carsystems.home.pl/carsystem ... imatic.pdf

:( Oh dear - temptation again....

I can resist everything in life except temptation

James

Andy said:
My cali, as well as other peoples, has a sticker on the edge of the drivers door that lists both the above Wabasto & Ebespacher heaters. This may suggest they are both fitted but I dont see we have a use for both in UK so why would VW go to extra expense of fitting both ??

I too have the pair of stickers and did hear the coolant heater running the other morning when I started then stopped the bus on the drive as I had to go back into the house for something. Definitely wasn't running the interior heater at the time.

I've used the interior heater a couple of mornings but do feel that the coolant pre-heater would be much more effective.

Quite tempted by this and will look back over the owners manual about it to see exactly what it gives.

Simon

Maybe someone could buy one and volunteer to have it fitted at Cali's on the Farm

Strangely I also contacted a Wenasto Dealer near me in Witham Essex. They didn't call back, obviously Witham in Essex has managed to avoid the global financial meltdown and the businesses there don't need custom. They did say on their website that they could fit an aftermarket parking heater for about £700. This would be aftermarket though so if something like this did a similar job that would be great :).

James

Recession hasn't reached the webasto dealers in Beds either. Messer's Arsed a CantBe didn't get back to me to quote for fitting this kit. Will try webasto uk next week

beardie said:
Recession hasn't reached the webasto dealers in Beds either. Messer's Arsed a CantBe didn't get back to me to quote for fitting this kit. Will try webasto uk next week

So what is your understanding of this kit - what would it actually do?

With regards to no call back - what a bunch of westbastods :)

James

James I believe this kit will allow the user to remotely switch the webasto thematop c on & with the heater (climatronic or not) controls in the correct position it will defrost the screen. Also will heat cabin up on cold mornings.

Andy said:
James I believe this kit will allow the user to remotely switch the webasto thematop c on & with the heater (climatronic or not) controls in the correct position it will defrost the screen. Also will heat cabin up on cold mornings.

Thanks Andy - that's how i understood - thank you for clarifying :)

So this seem like a really good idea then?

James

OK I've done more research / investigation into this.

Firstly yes the California does indeed have Webasto Thermatop C heater. I have found it on my cali. It is under the passenger seat. Have to remove the splash panel first to see it.

Webasto%2520thermatop%2520b.JPG
Seen looking from rear to front left wheel

Webasto%2520thermatop%2520c.JPG
Looking from Right to Left

So it would seem we have a use for the kit on ebay. Dont know weather the Beach has this heater or not. Would have to either look under the van or in the Manual to find out.

The following is about the Telestart kit from a post on bmwland.co.uk full link to the post which has instructions how to fit to a BMW http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=41380

Firstly its basic function is to supply 12 volts to pin 1 on the webasto heater, nothing more nothing less.... however the reason it costs so much is the range of the unit .. its huge...
the timer function ( how long you set the heating for is all built into the remote) i.e. you can set one remote for 20 minutes and another can be 40 .. its all done in the remote not the receiver itself i guess it sends a different code to how long the heater is required..

Anyway... basically the telestart sends 12 volts to pin 1 on the heater, this then wakes the heater up and starts the burn cycle... warming up the engine block and the interior.
the interior fans will come on approx 5 minutes after the heater is started( it does this bit by sending a data signal from the webasto to the cars heater / aircon module.. i think its a can bus signal - this bit is installed already in the heater) this ensures that there is sufficient warmth in the engine coolant to heat the interior.. the vents will automatically allow warmed fresh air in and points the vents up to the windscreen to defrost it and also down the floor to heat the cabin.. this is not changeable... this will mean you will never have to scrape ice from your car again !!!!

The heater will shut down in the following options....
you press the button and it turns off
you get in the car and you drive off - the heater will self shut down and the timer will disable itself.
the cars battery get to low ( this is to protect the car) it enables you to still crank the engine to get it started !! cool!!
the coolant is already too hot..
its way to warm outside to be using the heater anyways!!

Note its a good idea to run the heater in the summer to keep things from seizing up or going faulty !!

You can also wire up the telestart to work in summer mode... by adding another wire to pin 5 (i think) from the telestart as well as the pin 1... you then use the remote to select summer or winter mode by pressing a configuration of buttons.. NOTE i did not install this feature on mine as it basically blows the outside air into the car. (no air conditioning) i found that simply using the BMW remote to open all the windows before you get into the car does exactly the same ting a lot quicker

The different models are explained below:-

T70 a basic kit with just activates the the unit depending how long you set it for.
t80 this unit unit will send conformation that the telestart has received the transmission by giving you a conformation light on the remote !!!!
t91 exactly the same as the t80 but the remote is much much smaller ( you can use a t91 with a t80 receiver if you already have a t80 kit
t100 this one does all the above.. but also alows you to set the time you intend to get into the car from the remote.. so you can set it the night before and as long as the unit is in range it will start the heater for you at the required time..

If the car is already warm and say you come to a level crossing .. you can turn off your engine and use your rest button (max button on later cars ) to keep the cabin warm.. if the cabin starts to get cold the webasto will automatically fire up again keeping the car warm!!!! (all diesels do this regardless weather or not telestart is fitted) without the need to start the engine!!!

I have seen this kit for sale on a 4x4 website for £420 ! So the £149 delivered price on ebay seems very reasonable.

On side not whilst under my cali looking as the webaso I noticed the large rubber gromet which it's wires go up in to the interior was not seated properly, so maybe by accident I have found the cause of my windscreen condensation ??? I hope any way !!

this thread is one of the reasons I love forums like these, thanks for discovering this guys!

Seems like not only Calis have the heater fitted... http://www.parkingheater.co.uk/products/parking-heater/compact-and-middle-range-cars.html#teaser states; "Diesel cars are often fitted with a factory-fitted "auxiliary heater" that can be very cheaply upgraded to a fully-fledged parking heater. Many models thus already have half the parking heater fitted and paid for"

It looks like it could even be controlled by an app or SMS/phone with the Thermo Call module fitted http://www.parkingheater.co.uk/products/controls.html

Hi All

I looked into doing this a while back. There is an official Webasto kit which basically does the same thing. You would probably have more luck getting a Webasto dealer to fit this one I would guess. From memory, it was somewhat more expensive though. I was planning to fit it myself, since it didn't look too difficult, although a bit of a pain if you can't get the van on ramps or something.

The main thing that put me off (other than never having the time to actually do it) was that the Thermotop C runs off the main engine battery. This means that every time you use it you are draining the main battery. I think it also has a higher power consumption than the Airtop that the Cali uses for internal heating. This means that you could easily end up with a a flat battery if you used the heater and then didn't do a sufficiently long journey to charge it up again. I think I remember reading somewhere that a rough guide was that the jounery needed to be at least equal to the length of time the heater was on.

I might still have a look at doing it, but not until it warms up again next year. I don't fancy crawling under the van in the freezing cold. In the meantime, the Airtop does work pretty well at defrosting the windows, although I suspect it takes quite a bit longer since the air is not directed onto them.

Cheers
Mark

Mark

Thanks for that - that's really informative and helps explain the pros and cons - I was quoted £700 to do the work you mention above.

Running off the main battery does make me think but it's god to have a discussion about these things, especially if like me, you need things explaining a few times :)

James

I think the power consumption is probably the main reason VW used a separate Airtop heater instead of utilising the Thermotop. Plus it's actually really a coolant heater so you need to add heat exchangers/fans etc. to get it to heat the air. I guess the normal heating system could have been utilised but I would guess this is pretty power hungry as well.

I think there are some variants of the Multivan that do have this heater running off a 2nd battery so it it probably possible to switch it all over to one if you really knew what you were doing. I suspect finding someone with enough specific knowledge to do it would be difficult though.

Mark

James I may fit one, still looking at options. Is the £700 just to supply & fit the telestart system ? Does your beach definitely have this heater fitted ?

Markh
All the parts that I've looked at are either genuine Wabasto or VW & are kits made of genuine parts that people are selling, encluding the ebay link that James posted in the first post of this thread. Sorced from a dealer (webasto or car) they are around £400. The actual heaters are around £1000.
Don't need special ramps, I just use my levelup chocks !
The Thermo Top C uses 32 watts at full load & 22 at partial as per the wabasto site details which is not a lot. Bearing in mind it would only get used for 30 or so minutes.
The Cali uses an Eberspacher Airtronic M D3 plus for paring heater not an Airtop. This uses a LOT of power to start up & relatively little once running. 100 watts at startup & 7 - 24 whilst running depending on setting.

Back