What's with the waving?

Skylark2.0

Skylark2.0

The adventure with Starlight Expess begins
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
So, do we wave at all vw campervans including splitties, just T 5 conversions or just Cali's? My teenage son will disown me otherwise :oops:

I wave at all the modern vw campervans. I've found that those in the 'classic' vw camper don't often wave back, probably because they think I'm in a Transporter!

There are so many good conversions out there I'd be fibbing if I said I could tell the difference between a T5 conversion and the Cali before they're almost past me! Maybe that's just because I'm a newbie though!

I wave at campers ,plumber van, AA , RAC, greenflag vans to name a few.

And who waves back? I've only had one wave back and that was a California.

I tend to find it is only California's that wave, we have had quite a few wave at us, at first we were a bit shy but so many were waving now it is good fun to do it to see who does and doesn't, some will only do it if you do and you can see them acknowledge right at the last minute with a smile or maybe they are just laughing at the colour of our Cali who knows.

After 3 years in a T25, I found splits, bays and other T25s almost always waved back. You'd get the occasional snobby bay owner (but not split interestingly) who won't wave at anything newer than a bay but generally everyone is very friendly even to the ugly sibling of the 80's version.

T4s and T5s almost never waved at me in my T25, so I'm afraid I've learnt not to do it in the newer van. T4s I find don't wave, mainly because it's hard to tell if its a camper or not until its gone by, so they probably dont attract many. T5s are also hard to identify sometimes and I found they pretty much never returned a wave or I waved at some builder or plumber.

I've had a couple of waves in the California but its a bit of a stealth camper unless you spot the poptop. If its slightly modified its usually a sign you will get a wave.

We picked up our Cali ten days ago and last weekend went to VWNW at Tatton park, it was really great getting waves from other vans on the motorway and today we got a wave from a white Cali and we waved to another Blackberry van like ours. I love waving, and we haven't stopped smiling since we got ours.
Is anyone going to Eastnor castle on Friday, it looks great.
Here's a pic of our van and we'll wave to everybody else on the road:)image.jpg

No one waves back on me...:(

No one replies to my "California spotted" eagle eyed observations :(

No one cheerfully flashes their lights, honks their horn or wave a flag at me :(

I now just accept my role pf the pariah princess of the cheery cali community .... :(

No one cheerfully flashes their lights, honks their horn or wave a flag at me :(

I now just accept my role pf the pariah princess of the cheery cali community .... :(
Scandalous! How could they not?

Didn't there used to be some sort of hand signal between Beetle drivers, fist made but thumb and small finger sticking out, "no worries"? I've not waved yet, but too busy being scared about stone chips and potholes ;)

I wave at all vow vans, I do the no worries sign at older campers and beetles (owned the older vws and got used to it). And I find that most people whatever they drive signal back? Friendliest people ever I find! VDub loving...

awwww I'd wave back. I wave at everything T5 /Cali. When I had a T2 bay EVERYONE waved, I find there isnt as much waving with the new, but Im sure if we keep flashing lights and waving, it will catch on with the 5's, all v. dubs should wave.

If there is an awning on the drivers side I wave like crazy. In Bournemouth, where we live, there are loads of Calis and conversions about so some don't bother. That said, I did get a wave from a pimped panel van yesterday.
I guess there aren't any rules on it.

You've gotta have a Cali! Off side awnings are easy to spot and in the SW you'd have to drive one handed if you waved at every van on the road! o_O

You've gotta have a Cali! Off side awnings are easy to spot and in the SW you'd have to drive one handed if you waved at every van on the road! o_O
Are there lots of them in Devon? I used to live in Newton Abbot for years, but where I am now, hardly any. So Im safe with keeping both hands on the wheel most of the time :)

Past a California today, just outside Newport, M4 heading West.
I failed to wave, sorry. My excuse, outside lane and overtaking at speed limit, oh alright a little faster.;)

Take your foot off the gas a bit then ! That part of the M4 is one of the few I have seen in the UK with a 70mph max speed sign. I will keep an eye out for you and give you a wave as I intend to be in the Vale of Glamorgan more often over the coming year.

Ah, but 70 by the speedo or by the GPS?
I'll keep an eye out too.:thumb

We've only had our Cali three weeks but Am loving all the waves we get and wave to all VW vans!!! ,
Went to Eastnor castle last weekend to VW festival and loved all the waving but it's always sad when you wave and the other people don't wave back :(

I also own a Landrover Defender and we wave at non commercial users... Most wave. But with the Cali its a bit hit or mis, living in the SW there are lots... We recently hung the obligatory garland of flowers from the rear view mirror and seem now to get more waves! Still learning as a newbie...

Back