Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

When parked up the audio switches off after a few minutes

I

Isa Neal

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi have a new Cali 180 DSG. The audio switches itself off after a few minutes of we are parked up with the engine off. I cannot find a setting that changes it, any ideas???

Re: When parked up the audio switches off afte a few minutes

As far as I am aware the stereo is supposed to turn off after about 30 minutes without key in the ignition & can not be changed by user. Maybe able to change with dealer computer interface.
Someone said it stays on indefinitely if the key is in the ignition.

It cuts out as soon as ignition key is out. It also cuts out after @5-10 minutes even if ignition key in, but engine not running.

It will turn off when the ignition key is turned off and taken out. When turning it back on via the stereo, and no ignition key on, it only stays on for a set amount of time, so as not to flatten the battery. Send Alex from SMG a Pm, I'm sure he will help (I thought it was 15 mins??)

I don't believe we can change the amount of time that it will stay on. It should turn off when removing the key, but should stay on with the key in the ignition for a limited time period.

Cheers

Hi Alex SMG fitted this kenwood for me the other week from new, it even happens wih the ipod attachment switches off after about 7 minutes even with key in ignition, switches off after 7 minutes of radio with key in the ignition, it didnt do this before with the factory fitted VW audio system so the settings have changed but i cannot locate via the VW handbook or Kenwood handbook how this can be changed back. If the engine is running it is the only time it is ok?????
Suggestions please. Registration number CE12 XDH.

Re: When parked up the audio switches off after a few minute

We are currently investigating this issue at the moment to get a definitive answer of how long the Kenwood should stay on with the ignition on.

Thanks

We spent the morning looking at the problem, I was also speaking with VW technical and Kenwood as well. With the Kenwood unit (this particular model) there is no way of getting the Kenwood to stay on longer when the ignition is off. The stereo will turn off after 20 minutes when the CAN network goes into sleep mode and shuts down. With the kley in the ignition and in position 2, the stereo stays on permanently. This is also the case when the hook up is used.

The Kenwood takes it's power feed from the CAN network from the van, so when the network shuts down when the key is taken out (after 20 minutes) then the stereo will shut off as well. It is possible that the stereo may come back on if a door opens as this will activate the CAN network again.

The only downside to having the key in position 2 is that the DRL's will be on all the time which could be inconvinient at a campsite.

Thanks

I was trying to find out if there was ay way of keeping the radio/aux on for longer than what appears to be an hour when parked up. I don't want to leave the key in so I guess it's just a case of turning the blydi thing back on when it goes off!

The VW fitted radio system seems to stay on for an hour, my new Kenwood only stays on for 20 minutes, unless I leave the ignition on (therefore the running lights are also on) and then it stays on. It's likely the lights externally will bother other campers or motorhomes. SMG have requested VW for some information as to how this can be changed.

newish 180 DSG with lots of niggles -now needs a new roof........

The VW fitted radio system seems to stay on for an hour

My RNS510 only stays on for 30 minutes max.

Provided the keys are n the ignition, my Kenwood 520VBT only stays on for about 15-20 mins and it takes regular door opening and closing to fool the system into thinking there is still someone in the vehicle! Annoying! :crazy

My new (2 months old) Cali's Kenwood also switches off after 20 min. If, as has been said elsewhere, it is down to the multiplexing system (CAN network) shutting down, then it must be a design fault.
It is most irritating when listening something to have to wait for the system to boot-up once every 20 minuets. VW should rectify this..........

VW should rectify this.........

They may do on future model, but not ones already sold.

plainshorse said:
My new (2 months old) Cali's Kenwood also switches off after 20 min. If, as has been said elsewhere, it is down to the multiplexing system (CAN network) shutting down, then it must be a design fault.
It is most irritating when listening something to have to wait for the system to boot-up once every 20 minuets. VW should rectify this..........

It's not a design fault. All GP's have CAN and it shuts down once the ignition switches off after 20 minutes to stop the abttery going flat. If you leave the ignition on with or without the electrical hook-up connected it will stay on for as long as you want it to.

Cheers

Thanks, Alex

It may not be a fault, but it's not a great design decision on a Cali which is designed to be used on-site and which has 3 batteries.

I'd looked forward to being able to listen to music, or watch a movie, through the van's audio system whilst on site, and this feature is disappointing :-(

As you've already said, keeping the key in the ignition is a security risk when parked up; it's just too easy to walk off with the keys left in the van.

(And having to take alternative amp/speakers would be a waste of storage space).

IMHO, there should at least be a switch to swap the audio to the leisure batteries.

Best wishes,
Steve

There are some functions in the BCM where you can control what happens at various ignition states. I will look into this and see if we can find a software solution.

I've got one to test when I have time which would stop the main interior light coming on when the tailgate is opened and I think it's possibly going to be along the same lines with the radio.

Could take feed off the leisure battery under passenger seat for the stereo. Or do that & wire a relay in to switch power supply to leisure battery when ignition is switched off. But the first seems to be the simplest & most logical. Trouble is it means laying a wire under the carpet & up to the dash. Also do not know how this would affect warranty ??

Okay a design fault was the wrong term, it was perhaps a lack of fore thought and definitely a poor evaluation of customer's needs.
It is reasonable to expect that in a campervan, people may wish to spend protracted periods of time without the engine running, whilst listening to the audio system and not have to put up with having to re-boot the audio system every 20 minutes.
It is perfectly possible to make provision for audio systems to run without interruption on vehicles fitted with a multiplex wiring system. This is likely to be a programming issue.
VW should feel obliged to rectify this.

I don't think that this is a programming issue. Remember that the California is based on a Caravelle to start with which is why it will have bits like this that aren't 100% thought out for being a campervan.

cheers

smgcowfold said:
I don't think that this is a programming issue.

Alex I'm not saying it's an 'issue' which might imply a fault but more that there could be a workaround.

I also fully understand the reasoning behind why it happens. As much as we might like it to stay on for as long as we like there is a risk that if it doesn't switch off then the owner would come back and find his battery flattened if he'd forgotten to turn off the radio.

The easiest solution, in my opninion, is to allow the radio to run off the lesiure batteries when parked up. I'm trying to think of other ways of changing it but don't believe that it is possible to.

cheers

Alex it is possible I have read it on another forum it will take an auto electrician but not to complicated I think it involves this Remove the upper fuse box retaining screws and pull the fuse box out to the near side. Take off the black plastic cover on the back of the fuse box. Locate the red wire at the back of fuse 33 and cut this wire about 50cm from the fuse box. Insulate the end that comes from the VW loom. Connect a fused wire from your leisure battery to the end of the red wire still attached to your fuse box. Please please Note I am not an auto tech this is just an example of how it could be done I think you can also buy relay kits to change it over. Please don't attempt this without checking it out first :thumb

Possibly another idea

Wire permanent live to leisure battery
Connect switched live to a 3 way switch - connect one side to the switched live, the other to the leisure battery (use the permanent live from the leisure battery).

Advantage is that the headunit will power on and off with the ignition key as per normal but if you want to listen to it whilst parked or without the key in the ignition just flick the switch. The switch cost me under £5 and I fitted it in the removable panel at the top of the glove box.

I also ran my TV from the same switch - just park up, flick switch over to AUX and everything is powered from the leisure battery

Again taken from another forum. Check it out first please

Kev,

Whilst I'm not doubting your information I hope to be able to offer some more clarity.

The Pin Assignments for the head units are as follows -

rns510-pin-diagram.jpg

The pins we are interested in here are 15 & 16 on plug D (T8n) which are normally Red/White or Red/Blue cables. There are two supplies, one permanent live to keep the memory and one to supply the working power for the head unit which is also a permanent live.

T8n/15 is linked to T8n/16 and they both share a supply from 30A Fuse 33 on Fuse Holder B (Top section of the Fuse Holder under the drinks holder) which is what's known as a Terminal 30 Supply. This is supplied via Fuse 2 in Fuse Holder A which is a 125A Fuse in the engine bay.

So far as I am aware Terminal 30 is a supply derived directly from the battery.

I have a feeling that these units are 'put to sleep' via CAN so whilst a hardware wiring solution may be possible I think the CAN has an influence and hence my suggestion of a software solution.

Back