Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

When to get a first service - advice please

P

phil keegan

Vehicle
T6 Coast 150
Sorry if the answer to my specific question is in another thread.

I have a MY22 6.1 Coast that we have had since June 2022. The van did go in for some minor internal repairs in the summer + ended up with some more major warranty work due to an issue with coolant leaking into the exhaust system.

Looking at the We Connect and VW app information I thought I should book it in for a first service but have just been told when I tried to book it that it isn’t due yet.

Attached are screenshots from the apps.

I definitely don’t want to invalidate my 5 year warranty + to be honest would quite like at least an oil change.

Just wondering what advice from this forum would be.

Thanks

Phil

d965fc1cba3992ae629ccb294c6be61f.jpg

cebf9e3bc0d825a5a9698052dfca2d5e.jpg

d99349112e617972d6da951a64a33cde.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Coast is from May 2022 and in the menu of the in car infotainment system, the first service indicator highlighted to take the van in around 9000 miles, which was July of this year. Service indicator reset and now shows the following:

PXL_20231031_122714748.jpg

Looks like it’s showing an oil change in 1000 miles.

I just took a look at the infotainment system and this also advises an oil change service in 1000miles. Sounds like the advice I got from VW today when I tried to book it in for a service wasn’t entirely accurate.

The app can be confusing as the spanner is for an inspection service where as the oil can is for minor service. The minor is effectively an oil and basic filters change whereas the mechanical is more checks and parts. The basic rules are an oil service every year or 12500 miles or whatever comes first but this can all depend on when the dealer set the service schedule and what type - fixed or long term. Long term is every two years and IMHO more reasonable for most Cali users. I’ve not checked but I think most dealers set them to fixed. Ours must have because we had ours done just after a year with 10K as the dash pinged. The numbers can vary from van to van because the sensors also monitor the quality of the oil etc and “guess” the best time in and around the general rules above.

Some more info here.

Scroll down to the Cali table.

Other posts via search

The app can be confusing as the spanner is for an inspection service where as the oil can is for minor service. The minor is effectively an oil and basic filters change whereas the mechanical is more checks and parts. The basic rules are an oil service every year or 12500 miles or whatever comes first but this can all depend on when the dealer set the service schedule and what type - fixed or long term. Long term is every two years and IMHO more reasonable for most Cali users. I’ve not checked but I think most dealers set them to fixed. Ours must have because we had ours done just after a year with 10K as the dash pinged. The numbers can vary from van to van because the sensors also monitor the quality of the oil etc and “guess” the best time in and around the general rules above.

Some more info here.

Scroll down to the Cali table.

Other posts via search

Really helpful - thanks. Booked in for an oil service + apparently some recall/update work - currently don’t have details for this.

Apparently its getting an engine control unit software update

I would go by when the last service was in months and do it every 12 aiming for it to take place just before it goes to bed for the winter so it sits with fresh oil. I’d ignore the digital stuff and definitely not do long service interval sing. Anyway it looks like you are 110 miles short of the 12500 so just get it done.

May be an old fashioned attitude but ours get serviced every year. Basically I like to have an oil change yearly but don't forget that it's also a safety check. We had a bad bulge on the inside walk of a rear tyre a few years ago which wasn't apparent unless under the van or the wheel off.