Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Where is the safe inside and why Cali cars are always using extra locks

C

Caliburg

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I recently purchased 6.1 and wonder which place Cali has a hole for a safe (laptop wallet etc) inside? I must order one and I wonder the dimensions that I can fit inside the car.

In addition - why external locks are really necessary? There is already one inside right side of steering wheel, do you think still necessary an additional one ?

I recently purchased 6.1 and wonder which place Cali has a hole for a safe (laptop wallet etc) inside? I must order one and I wonder the dimensions that I can fit inside the car.

In addition - why external locks are really necessary? There is already one inside right side of steering wheel, do you think still necessary an additional one ?

Hello @Caliburg , welcome to the forum.

The safe is an option and if you ordered it, it is at the bottom of the cupboard next to the fridge. Peek inside and you should see it at the bottom (if it came as an option with your California).

On the external locks - being such a high-value vehicle, it is always good to have additional security. An extra steering lock costs only a few pounds, but provides a visual deterrent. Something like a Ghost immobiliser provides a seccond level of security, even if your key is cloned.

The option in the bottom of the wardrobe is not worth calling a "safe" imo.
Needs just a screwdriver to force it open.

A safe , if you want one needs to be unvisible/unasceable bolted to the chassis and made of solid material.

There's a safe that fits under the right hand seat bolted on the seat base , try Google ...

For me any lock on the stearingwheel or pedals is to much hassle to put on .
A Bearlock is what i had installed , realy handy and very solid according many tests.

Last edited:
The option in the bottom of the wardrobe is not worth calling a "safe" imo.
Needs just a screwdriver to force it open.

A safe , if you want one needs to be unvisible/unasceable bolted to the chassis and made of solid material.

There's a safe the fits under the right hand seat bolted on the seat base , try Google ...

For me any lock on the stearingwheel or pedals is to much hassle to put on .
A Bearlock is what i had installed , realy handy and very solid according many tests.
Do they have a Bearlock for DSG?

We had one of these in our T4, will also fit T5/T6, but you will need to move the small fusebox / wiring slightly to get it to fit:

@Wongo , yes you can have a Bearlock on the DSG gearbox

Well, there's www.bearlock.nl but that's in Dutch. Google translate might help you out a bit. Here's the translated website. There's a uk-website here: http://bear-lock.co.uk/ and this: http://future-partners.co.uk/

I assume they are UK-based partners of Bearlock.

Here in the Netherlands almost every cali has a bearlock. Some have a construct lock, which is another type of lock.

I personally really like the bear lock just like @hotel california

Well, there's www.bearlock.nl but that's in Dutch. Google translate might help you out a bit. Here's the translated website. There's a uk-website here: http://bear-lock.co.uk/ and this: http://future-partners.co.uk/

I assume they are UK-based partners of Bearlock.

Here in the Netherlands almost every cali has a bearlock. Some have a construct lock, which is another type of lock.

I personally really like the bear lock just like @hotel california
Is it a professional install or can you buy the unit & DIY?

I'm quite sure this is not possible as DIY. I'ts a specific method and you get a certificate and a set number of keys. Which you need to be able to show to your insurer in case your vehilce is stolen. So they know you locked it. And you can only replace the keys with the certificate.

I wouldn’t trust the Cali safe. My spare steering lock key was stored in it and it managed to work it’s way out! Had to call the AA to remove steering lock when I had my bag pinched with my keys in. Had spare car key but the spare steering lock key had worked its way out of the join in the safe.

I always thought the strength of the safe was its unpublicised location...

I always thought the strength of the safe was its unpublicised location...
When it’s on the option list it’s no longer a secret aint it?

Regardless of what i posted earlyer in this thread i have a small safe in the Cali in a other place as said above and a few places where i hide “things”....

Back