Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which electric car to buy?

I have a solar plan too.
Re-roof next year with solar addition and will look at decarbonising the best way I can.

These look interesting, depending on price and wether they’re affordable yet.

That's interesting. I looked into wind power a while ago. All of the intel I managed to find suggested it was pointless for domestic use given the consistency/speed of wind in the the UK plus turbulence from adjacent property.

We will be moving shortly. Our plan is to use water mill for power gen.

That's interesting. I looked into wind power a while ago. All of the intel I managed to find suggested it was pointless for domestic use given the consistency/speed of wind in the the UK plus turbulence from adjacent property.

We will be moving shortly. Our plan is to use water mill for power gen.

I haven’t properly looked into it yet. But happy to explore options that can help.
Currently in a property which potentially is a long term house for us. The renewables need a long term plan to claw back the initial costs. Costs aside, if it every little helps, it’s worth doing…

It is massively frustrating how to go about it. I guess it depends on which way you look at it. If it's simply financial then, in theory and, assuming the sums stack up, you could buy a diesel genny and use that to power the house (suitable acoustic enclosure etc). I'm guessing around £1500 could buy a 10kw gen which should take care of most of your domestic stuff. Would this be cheaper than paying the power company, probably if you used biofuel/chip fat etc.

If it's to save the planet and avoid burning hydro carbons then this solution is a non starter but you're unlikely to get anywhere near the amount of power you need via wind/solar/water etc.

If it's to save the planet and avoid burning hydro carbons then this solution is a non starter but you're unlikely to get anywhere near the amount of power you need via wind/solar/water etc.

It’s never gonna power the complete house. But if it can cut down on the amount required, then it’s a step in the right direction.
It’s a bit like cars. Would you rather have a California that did 25mpg or 60mpg…?

It’s never gonna power the complete house. But if it can cut down on the amount required, then it’s a step in the right direction.
It’s a bit like cars. Would you rather have a California that did 25mpg or 60mpg…?

It's a nice feeling.

13:30 today, a cloudy wet day and batteries are at 57% after a morning of dishwasher and washing machine on and 2 hours of oven baking. just under 3kwh currently being generated. I never really looked hard at the financial projections, but to be independent of Vlad and his evil craziness is enough compensation, the feeling of making a minuscule difference to the future of the planet and my kids are a bonus.

@GrannyJen , which power station are you using? We have solar panels as it is a 5 year old new build house with all the required infra. Looking for a good battery bank to store the solar

Solax batteries, 3*5.5 kWh feeding through a Solax invertor.

The next stage, when I have my new meter installed, is to switch to Octopus agile for importing so that in the winter I can charge the batteries using cheap off-peak electricity when it's offered.

Solax batteries, 3*5.5 kWh feeding through a Solax invertor.

The next stage, when I have my new meter installed, is to switch to Octopus agile for importing so that in the winter I can charge the batteries using cheap off-peak electricity when it's offered.
Welcome to the future - I have been this way for some time, but now I am on their Tesla Tariff

The part that they do not advertise (or maybe it is in the small print below) - the free chargers are the same as a 3 pin plug at home and may give you up to 3 miles in an hour. My weekly shop is usually 30 mins, so that does not help there.

For many people, who will spend about 2 hours, it may help to recoup the travel to and from the store.

The high power ones are paid pods.
Our tesco have four 7kw free chargers and ive always found a empty one.

Oh no, ever heard of BP in the usa how they spilled huge amounts of oil in the ocean causing havoc? Ever seen how fracking works? Ever heard of how pollution is harming so many?
You are correct, there have been oils spills and oil pollution is harmful. But the idea that electric vehicles will save the world is pie in the sky. If 100% of the vehicles in the UK went electric tomorrow this would have zero impact on global warming. You refer to pollution from oil, but you do not acknowledge pollution and humanity hardships from mining the materials required for EVs. There are two new EVs down our road and their owners are convinced that they have solved their bit of the climate problem. They believe this because as they drive their car there is no smoke, no polluting gases etc but they completely fail to see the pollution and hardships electrification causes in Africa, China, S America. The satellite images of the environmental damage in China associated with rare earth mining there are horrific and that damage covers hundreds of square miles. In the UK the EV damage is out of sight so the vast majority of owners believe they are clean. Out of sight out of mind.

Well, just found somewhere else to put my surplus electricity.

I pick up an ex-demo Cupra Born next Friday :D
Have to let us have a look ! Local YouTuber ( I recognise East Preston railway crossing!) approves ….

A guy I was chatting to today, said his 12 month old Tesla model 3 will be replaced next week with another one.
He’s getting £53k trade in and saved £11k in VAT, as he puts the car through his business.
So basically free motoring.

Would be the tax rather than VAT. And whilst offset he will have to "correct" when it comes to change. No idea how that works. But you cant have it both ways

Our company pool ID3 is nudging 38k miles in 20 months.

Would be the tax rather than VAT. And whilst offset he will have to "correct" when it comes to change. No idea how that works. But you cant have it both ways

Our company pool ID3 is nudging 38k miles in 20 months.

Sounds like win win, either way :cool:

Back