Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which electric car to buy?

Which electric car to buy. Easy. None of them. Raping earth for rare earth metals for these virtue signalling far too expensive things is not for me.

stick to queuing up with the bellends
Ha. Like it. But at least when I get to the pump I'm there 20 seconds as opposed to 5 hours. Maybe that's why ball the bellends are in the shop, they are bored waiting for their virtue signalling cars to charge up

Which electric car to buy. Easy. None of them. Raping earth for rare earth metals for these virtue signalling far too expensive things is not for me
Every time I hear the phrase “virtue signaling” applied to this topic, I remember that it was invented to ease some peoples’ conscience about not wanting to think about what’s happening. We’re not destroying the planet, in 150 or 200 million years the forests, oceans and mountains will be fine. The fact that the human race decided to dirty its own nest and extinguish itself in the blink of an eye by being too lazy to deal with the results of scientific investigation will be a factoid of insignificant importance.

Every time I hear the phrase “virtue signaling” applied to this topic, I remember that it was invented to ease some peoples’ conscience about not wanting to think about what’s happening. We’re not destroying the planet, in 150 or 200 million years the forests, oceans and mountains will be fine. The fact that the human race decided to dirty its own nest and extinguish itself by being too lazy to deal with the results of scientific investigation will be a factoid of insignificant importance.
Correct Jim. But mining cobalt lithium and neodyneum is not the answer. As for the phrase virtue signalling, it's only the rich that can buy these things to signal their virtue. Normal people can't afford 40k for a car. They buy used diesels and petrol s to take them to work for a couple of grand. And these are the people who are vilified by virtue signallers

Correct Jim. But mining cobalt lithium and neodyneum is not the answer. As for the phrase virtue signalling, it's only the rich that can buy these things to signal their virtue. Normal people can't afford 40k for a car. They buy used diesels and petrol s to take them to work for a couple of grand. And these are the people who are vilified by virtue signallers
Excuse me Jesús, my name isn’t Jim!

Excuse me Jesús, my name isn’t Jim!
Enjoy your leccy car that most can't afford. But try not to preach at those people who are less fortunate than you and have to drive 20 year old diesels to earn a crust .

Who said that most cant afford to buy an electric car? Facts please?

As of the end of September 2022, there were more than 990,000 plug-in cars with approximately 570,000 BEVs and 420,000 PHEVs registered.

Enjoy your leccy car that most can't afford. But try not to preach at those people who are less fortunate than you and have to drive 20 year old diesels to earn a crust .
Why less fortunate?

Ha. Like it. But at least when I get to the pump I'm there 20 seconds as opposed to 5 hours. Maybe that's why ball the bellends are in the shop, they are bored waiting for their virtue signalling cars to charge up
My local farm supplies emporium sells diesel. Never any queue or bell ends, apart from the one holding the pump. :thumb

I didn't queue last night. I plugged it in and this morning unplugged it. Say 10sec for each action. Like magic. No standing outside, walking to the shop, waiting to pay.

20sec.... is that a splash and dash, F1 style pit stop.

I never queue either.

Just wait for the sun to come out, use my phone to tell the car to start refuelling, and again to tell it to stop when the sun goes.

No queue, no bellends, no paying.

This argument seems to get repeated across various car forums. Maybe some EV early-adopters have "virtue signalled" but the majority have presumably made a perfectly rational choice about what kind of vehicle they want to own.

Yes EVs have been expensive to this point, no different to almost all new technologies, ICE cars took 50+ years to become mass-affordable. The adoption of EVs will be much faster, in fact it's out-accelerating UK government assumptions. People want them. The next daily drivers in our household will be EVs for sure.

IMO there's little point in trying to persuade people who are anti-EV, they're completely entitled to their views although personally I'd welcome it if they didn't feel the need to chuck stupid schoolyard insults around.

Hope you're on an EV tariff GJ. 7.5p a kWh.

I also have PVs (10yrs plus) and storage batteries so its hard to work out the true cost of charging the car.

For example. Solar generated 287kWh for October (paid 63p a kWh for that) whilst the car consumed 375kWh. So if I allocate it all to the car then I'm paid to drive in my mind....... if I take an anti diesel type school boy argument.

Last month electric bill, with the £66, was £11

Hope you're on an EV tariff GJ. 7.5p a kWh.

I also have PVs (10yrs plus) and storage batteries so its hard to work out the true cost of charging the car.

For example. Solar generated 287kWh for October (paid 63p a kWh for that) whilst the car consumed 375kWh. So if I allocate it all to the car then I'm paid to drive in my mind....... if I take an anti diesel type school boy argument.

Last month electric bill, with the £66, was £11

If I import "NIL" electricity then I charge Manuel (my Cupra) the average feedback tariff received that month which was around 7.5 ppKWH. . If I have imported then I charge Manuel my import tariff. As I'm still on a 2 year fixed "green" tariff (Here I go again, virtue signalling) that is 23p per KwH so popping 20 KwH in to enable me to get to Southampton and back costs me £4.60. The same journey in the camper would cost me around £25 in fuel alone.

I'm under no illusions about the drawbacks to owning an EV, just whilst I have surplus energy coming down from my roof it seems sensible to fuel my car with it.

EV Owner most probably fast asleep, whilst car recharges overnight at home.

Petrol shop Bellends most probably just the boyroy brigade deciding which microwave snack / energy drink to buy .

EV Owner most probably fast asleep, whilst car recharges overnight at home.

Petrol shop Bellends most probably just the boyroy brigade deciding which microwave snack / energy drink to buy .
And 200 miles into a 400 mile journey, at night and during winter, I won't be stopping for fuel.

For example. Solar generated 287kWh for October (paid 63p a kWh for that) whilst the car consumed 375kWh.
That's a good deal.

Who ends up paying for the 63p / kWh subsidy?

That's a good deal.

Who ends up paying for the 63p / kWh subsidy?
We are on the old Feed in Tariff that was around circa 10 years ago. We get paid 52p per kWh. We get that payment for another 15 years from now. We generate 3,300kWh per year, so around £1700 per year tax free.

Who pays it? The good old "taxpayer".

We are on the old Feed in Tariff that was around circa 10 years ago. We get paid 52p per kWh. We get that payment for another 15 years from now. We generate 3,300kWh per year, so around £1700 per year tax free.
Out of interest, what solar array (size/location) do you have, to generate that? It's interesting to hear of someone with actual data from a real-world system.

I started to look at it last year, but now missed the boat - very long lead times now for new installations.

The issues touched on in this video still haven't been properly addressed. Until they are, it is unrealistic to expect everyone to be equally as enthusiastic about EVs. Many will scoff but that is where we are.

Last edited:
Back