Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which electric car to buy?

Daft old me. I clicked on the thread after leaving it a while hoping to find the latest on "which electric car to buy". Any news in that direction?

When it comes to big ticket items like phones, iPads, cars, it’s not just labour, it’s the raw materials. The Chinese are quite openly getting a head start on those essential rare earth metals.

I’m not sure I agree with the slave labour stories. I watched a TED talk where it explained how in China generation 1 moves from the country to the cities. Generation 2 starts working in a Nike factory for a very basic wage (but way more than farming provides). Generation 3 go to school and university (possibly in the UK!) and end up working in IT or possibly as senior managers in the Nike factory. That’s the China miracle.

800 million no longer in extreme poverty.

To be fully open, I started working for a Chinese company 6 months ago and since then I’ve been getting increasingly irritated by what I would call the ‘Truss crap’.

No, it’s not quite hard. It’s almost impossible. From the tablet you tap on, to the car you drive or the bicycle you ride. They all have an element of China within them.

With complex items yes, but look on the label, for example, of clothes filtering into online stores. It's not hard to say "no thank you". I really don't want cotton grown by people moving into the homes of displaced Uyghurs or merino wool grown on sheep subjected to Mulesing.

Yes, it all looks good value, British companies, etc. Ask Woollovers or Isobaa where their products are made.Someone even tried to sell m a frying pan last week, made in Belgium... "Really? From a Belgian supplier but where is it made?" .... Oh, it says China"..... " thank you, I will fry my omelette elsewhere"!

I might pay a bit more, I might have to hunt around, but it's always worth a bit of research.

Generation 3 go to school and university (possibly in the UK!) and end up working in IT or possibly as senior managers in the Nike factory. That’s the China miracle.
An entire Chinese generation, or even a majority of an entire Chinese generation? I don’t think so. If that were true, all government schooling should be contracted out to the Chinese!

An entire Chinese generation, or even a majority of an entire Chinese generation? I don’t think so. If that were true, all government schooling should be contracted out to the Chinese!
It was used as an example of what had happened in a period over 40 years to millions of families.

This from the World Bank website -
1695226452997.jpeg
800 million out of 1425 million. That’s 56% of the population out of extreme poverty.

The TED talk was arguing the point that in order to get from granny in the rice field to grand child with an IT degree you need mummy or daddy to move to the city and work for low wages in the factory in between. The speaker was claiming this was sadly a ‘necessary evil’.

It was an example but with 800 million leaving poverty in 40 years it was quite a persuasive argument.

For years the West off-shores its manufacturing to China. Western countries make a bumper profit. Then after 30 years China starts to setup it own companies selling phones and cars. Builds ports, airports and railway lines to make it easier to export. Makes lots of friends in the 3rd and 2nd world.

The West gets in a massive flap as they realise China is doing very well. Truss and the Daily Express can hoot all they want. China doesn’t care.

India appears to be copying China too. Until we offer them Visas we won’t be getting that trade deal. The Canada/India story is pretty shocking.

Anyway back to electric cars. I’m still in love with our 2018 i3 Rex. It’s amazing. 8 pence per mile (not got cheap electricity yet) and 3.8 miles per kWh.

Last edited:
After yesterday's speech, we're staying with our diesels, no rush now to buy an EV, and plenty of time for EVs & infrastructure to be further developed before we do.

After yesterday's speech, we're staying with our diesels, no rush now to buy an EV, and plenty of time for EVs & infrastructure to be further developed before we do.
The only surprising thing about that U turn was how long it took them to realise that it had to be done.

I lost a bet.

I had it down as Starmers first U-turn post election.
Actually, the interesting thing now is what the automotive industry will do in the next few years. Will they continuing tooling up for purely EV production or will they shove EVs into the, It sounded like a good idea at the time, shed? Many of the larger manufacturers appear to be experiencing big financial difficulties by following the purely EV route and seem to be getting cold feet.

Here's my punt. 2035 will get shunted back as well.

Actually, the interesting thing now is what the automotive industry will do in the next few years. Will they continuing tooling up for purely EV production or will they shove EVs into the, It sounded like a good idea at the time, shed? Many of the larger manufacturers appear to be experiencing big financial difficulties by following the purely EV route and seem to be getting cold feet.

Here's my punt. 2035 will get shunted back as well.

Nope.
If they want to sell a bucket load of cars to China and Europe, they will need to adopt low emission EV vehicles
All Rishi has done is frighten off any further investment into the UK.

Liz Truss thinks it’s a great idea.
Liz Fo@@king Truss…!!!
The woman that made every man, woman and child on this island significantly poorer.

The manufacturers will continue to fight for EV, because the economics of producing an EV motor with three moving pieces that they can sell at a higher price than an ICE vehicle with hundreds of moving parts just in the engine, never mind transmission, exhaust system, fuel system, etc., etc. are so overwhelming that they will dedicate all future research to solving the battery issue.

As mentioned earlier, VW has already announced that their switch to electric will result in laying off at least 30% of their work force since EVs are so simple to assemble.

Last edited:
Not a lot has changed.
“Firms still forced to sell more electric cars despite petrol ban delay“
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66875554
“From January, just over a fifth of vehicles sold must be electric, with the target expected to hit 80% by 2030.”

Last edited:
As mentioned earlier, VW has already announced that their switch to electric will result in laying off at least 30% of their work force since EVs are so simple to assemble.
And that their EVs aren't selling well might be another reason.

I Liked this quote from Jacob Rees-Mogg.

"The problem with net zero was that it was a scheme of the elite on the backs of the least well off."

Like most Governments schemes then.

The problem with not adopting net zero is that is selfishly provides for the comfort of the current generation on the backs of our children.
I beg to differ. The result of adopting net zero will be the opposite: the further ruination of our already fragile economies for no reason other than global enslavement of all of us - by elite globalists who cannot believe just how successful they have been at cucking the majority, with multiple hoaxes including ‘climate change’ and the ‘death jabs’.

Last edited:
I thought it would take ten years for an after market industry to evolve to convert ICE vehicles to electric. Now an Australian company is bringing to market an electric motor which mounts on the front brake discs and uses a battery mounted in the spare tire location, converting any ICE vehicle to a hybrid, with up to 150km of only electric propulsion. Game changed.

“As its inventor has explained, it is a kit that has axial flow electric motors that can be coupled to the brake disc supports, and that are connected to a battery housed in the spare wheel well. Gas hybrid cars usually use this space to locate the LPG tank.

…The device can be installed without replacing any parts or spending a lot of money in the process.”

Last edited:
With complex items yes, but look on the label, for example, of clothes filtering into online stores. It's not hard to say "no thank you". I really don't want cotton grown by people moving into the homes of displaced Uyghurs or merino wool grown on sheep subjected to Mulesing.

Yes, it all looks good value, British companies, etc. Ask Woollovers or Isobaa where their products are made.Someone even tried to sell m a frying pan last week, made in Belgium... "Really? From a Belgian supplier but where is it made?" .... Oh, it says China"..... " thank you, I will fry my omelette elsewhere"!

I might pay a bit more, I might have to hunt around, but it's always worth a bit of research.
I always check labels on clothing and have done for the past several years. If it says made in china, back on the rail it goes.
But a lot of what we buy contains components from that country. Take Swiss watches for example. Swiss Made is a open to a lot of abuse. Legally this only requires a minimum of 50% of the value to be made in Switzerland, not including labour. Omega have gotten a lot a flack for sourcing their bracelets in China as an example.

I always check labels on clothing and have done for the past several years. If it says made in china, back on the rail it goes.
But a lot of what we buy contains components from that country. Take Swiss watches for example. Swiss Made is a open to a lot of abuse. Legally this only requires a minimum of 50% of the value to be made in Switzerland, not including labour. Omega have gotten a lot a flack for sourcing their bracelets in China as an example.

Yes, as I said, complex items are very hard to disassemble. I just get totally fed up with people, friends, relatives etc, virtue signalling that they would never ever buy anything from china and looking at their brand cardigan, coat, skirt, trousers whatsoever and quietly asking "where was that made? Not sourced from, made?....and part of my angst has nothing to do with geo-politicics but to do with more basic consideration that they are flooding other third world economies that need the work and income out of the market.

It's almost a game with me to disassemble, of course with total hypocrisy as I sit here typing on my MacBook connected to the internet through my I Phone.

Last edited:
Let’s all sit down with a nice cup of coffee and watch the Fully Charged guys and gals, give out some factual information…
I just can’t read anymore waffle nonsense from Wildcamper.

Let’s all sit down with a nice cup of coffee and watch the Fully Charged guys and gals, give out some factual information…
I just can’t read anymore waffle nonsense from Wildcamper.

Sorry, after the first twelve minutes of introductions, bigging themselves up and not a single one of the much heralded facts, I lost interest.

Went over to watching this instead:

Last edited:
Sorry, after the first twelve minutes of introductions, bigging themselves up and not a single one of the much heralded facts, I lost interest.

Went over to watching this instead:

Well if you want to educate yourself Borris, you should really stick with it.