Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which electric car to buy?

Biggest emissions these days are tyre and brake dust. I believe electric cars still have tyres & brakes?
Oh no, I can see a bicycle tax on the way!

Biggest emissions these days are tyre and brake dust. I believe electric cars still have tyres & brakes?
Yes. But.

EVs have such effective regenerative braking that in urban driving very little use is made of the brakes. In fact EV models are increasingly being fitted with drum brakes, which contain particles within the drum.

Oh no, I can see a bicycle tax on the way!

That will never happen.
Personally, I think the government would do well to offer a cash incentive for people to cycle. Paid per mile or something along those lines…

That will never happen.
Personally, I think the government would do well to offer a cash incentive for people to cycle. Paid per mile or something along those lines…
They already give a tax break through the cycle to work scheme.

@Kayleigh btw I can recommend unlocking the wireless CarPlay if you have a facelift i3 model. You just can’t then ever take it back to dealer!

@Kayleigh btw I can recommend unlocking the wireless CarPlay if you have a facelift i3 model. You just can’t then ever take it back to dealer!
Thanks! It’s a 2017 so pre-facelift unfortunately.

You can also claim generous mileage rates which are HMRC approved if you used your bike for business travel.
Claim from whom?
Good luck finding an employer that will pay anything.
If the employer doesn’t pay the best you can get is tax relief on £0.20 per mile so £0.04 per mile actual payment for a basic rate taxpayer, not exactly generous.

Claim from whom?
Good luck finding an employer that will pay anything.
If the employer doesn’t pay the best you can get is tax relief on £0.20 per mile so £0.04 per mile actual payment for a basic rate taxpayer, not exactly generous.
I've worked for several FTSE listed companies and they all paid the cycle mileage rate. I reckon most large companies would so they could tick the 'green' box.

I can't see why employers wouldn't pay the cycle allowance generally as it's cheaper than the 45p per mile they'd have to pay if the employee used their car?

I've worked for several FTSE listed companies and they all paid the cycle mileage rate. I reckon most large companies would so they could tick the 'green' box.

I can't see why employers wouldn't pay the cycle allowance generally as it's cheaper than the 45p per mile they'd have to pay if the employee used their car?
If my employer paid me £25 per week for my cycle commute in London I’d be very happy. :)

If my employer paid me £25 per week for my cycle commute in London I’d be very happy. :)

Sounds fair enough to me.
Another vehicle off the roads and a healthier, happier individual who will be less of a burden on the NHS…

Yes correct but they hardly use any friction braking at all. It’s mostly regen.

Until you get knocked off, which is common in London.
I feel safer on london cycle lanes that the poor excuse for some paint locally here... you only think people get knocked off a lot because you only see those videos, no one is watching the thousands of hours of normal boring commute

Thats why you get a Brompton.
They're sh1t too. Ok hooning around a flat city and parking it in a drawer innyour computer based office job. If your a builder ,plumber,electrician,engineer, or you work shifts in the north,etc you need a diesel engine

They're sh1t too. Ok hooning around a flat city and parking it in a drawer innyour computer based office job. If your a builder ,plumber,electrician,engineer, or you work shifts in the north,etc you need a diesel engine
The electric Brompton will get you up the hills with no sweat

59 pages later I can bring this to a close,electric cars are sh1t, cycling is sh1t because you cant leave a bike anywhere or it will be stolen.

All you need to do to make is less likely to have your bike stolen in London is to have a crap looking bike and a better lock than the bike you lock next to.

45 years of cycling in London (and locking on the street) I have never had a bike stolen (one bike pump stolen and one saddle - that was a painful ride home).

Tradesmen used to ride bikes.
3b11103bc945bd273b751e30f6a0f313.jpg

... you only think people get knocked off a lot because you only see those videos, no one is watching the thousands of hours of normal boring commute
I have been knocked off 3 times by Black cabs during my 30 year London commute. + Once in Brighton when I was younger, but the compensation paid for my first campervan..so guess its not all bad!