Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which electric car to buy?

Depreciation is ultimately the problem of the owner/leaser as with increased interest rates and uncertain residuals, this will all be factored into the monthly lease costs and make them significantly more costly. The only thing which slight edges leases for EV's is contract hire includes the cost of road tax which is much lower on EV's......for now.
Sort of. It’s priced on a best guess at what depreciation will be when the contract is taken out. After taking the contract out the price is locked in. When you take it out you have the opportunity to consider the cost and decide if it’s worth it or not compared to the alternatives, so the depreciation being factored into the price is hardly an issue.

For those that believe EVs are impossible to insure, will catch fire, soon be worthless and now apparently will stop working when the manufacturer withdraws software support…

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/is-there-increasing-resistance-against-ev’s.47773/page-20#post-672716

How many years until the manufacturer withdraws support for the cars operating system?
Pretty difficult to get a hairdryer without an operating system these days.

As I’ve already hacked mine to get wireless CarPlay, it won’t be going anywhere near a dealer anyway (just like my Cali).

I’m sure you’re right though!!

Pretty difficult to get a hairdryer without an operating system these days.

As I’ve already hacked mine to get wireless CarPlay, it won’t be going anywhere near a dealer anyway (just like my Cali).

I’m sure you’re right though!!
Too true! My Y Cam security camera (Y Cam bought out by ERA) has just had all support withdrawn this includes the ability to use as a standalone camera.
YCam had some time earlier withdrawn their “Lifetime Cloud Storage” feature even for customers who had bought systems with it included!

Too true! My Y Cam security camera (Y Cam bought out by ERA) has just had all support withdrawn this includes the ability to use as a standalone camera.
YCam had some time earlier withdrawn their “Lifetime Cloud Storage” feature even for customers who had bought systems with it included!
Reminds me of those Sony TIVO systems from back in the 90's. Pay extra for 'lifetime' access and when the technology is defunct you're SOL.

Is it because it’s an IP based camera system…?
Anything sitting on the web can be hacked, eventfully the tech becomes obsolete and theres no point or any cost initiative to support the product.

Last edited:
My electric car is becoming an obsession. I’m now watching documentaries and getting original brochures off eBay!
IMG_3386.jpeg
IMG_3388.jpeg
1700919864897.jpeg
IMG_3387.jpeg
Later, I’ll be happily drinking a glass of wine whilst reading about the carbon fibre reinforced plastic safety cell!

IMG_3388.jpeg

Ford Transit with Rolls Royce Jet engine : r/AwesomeCarMods
Not much space for a kettle or your undies but safe to say this will smoke any Porsche or Beemer (at least in a straight line).

The BMW i3 is faster than a Porsche!!!

So the i3 struggles against a bog standard 2.9 Cayman. After 3 spirited pushes it’s out of breath…

The standard Cayman, even with that tiny motor will keep pushing harder all day long, will leave the i3 dead in the corners and post 95mph will push on well past 150mph.
You could see the smiles on the novice behind the wheel of the Cayman….

So the i3 struggles against a bog standard 2.9 Cayman. After 3 spirited pushes it’s out of breath…

The standard Cayman, even with that tiny motor will keep pushing harder all day long, will leave the i3 dead in the corners and post 95mph will push on well past 150mph.
You could see the smiles on the novice behind the wheel of the Cayman….
Given the i3 is a city car, a fairer comparison would be the real world 0-30 away from the lights in city traffic, the ability to drive without much need to use the brakes and being able to squeeze through narrow gaps. On those terms the i3 is a clear winner :thumb

Given the i3 is a city car, a fairer comparison would be the real world 0-30 away from the lights in city traffic, the ability to drive without much need to use the brakes and being able to squeeze through narrow gaps. On those terms the i3 is a clear winner :thumb
Just a shame it doesn't stop in as short a distance as a Cayman, as far as pedestrians are concerned that makes it a clear loser!

Just a shame it doesn't stop in as short a distance as a Cayman, as far as pedestrians are concerned that makes it a clear loser!
As a regular cyclist in London though, I would much rather be overtaken by a clean electric car than a dirty diesel or polluting petrol.

As a regular cyclist in London though, I would much rather be overtaken by a clean electric car than a dirty diesel or polluting petrol.
Biggest emissions these days are tyre and brake dust. I believe electric cars still have tyres & brakes?