Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which electric car to buy?

...For those unsure, the number pertain to the amount of chargers free at each location at that point. They are also automatically chosen by the car's Google Maps sat nav when planning a trip that will require supercharging en-route.
Can non-Teslas use them yet?

I think Porsche have a deal and the EU I think is looking to force them to let others use them on competition rules.

We’ve owned our EV for 14 months now and are yet to attempt to charge it anywhere other than on our drive. But then we probably haven’t gone further than 60 miles either.

One of the best things I’ve ever bought and still saving me £40 a week in petrol. It’s 6 years old and will probably last us 10 years.

Last edited:
Scooters and electric bikes much much more dangerous. Usually charged next to the front door/exit.

The fire stuff is fake news anti-EV BS. I remember when they claimed phones were going to burst into flames. The Torygraph do anti EV crap every week. When I switched to an EV Aviva put my insurance up by £13! I suspect Aviva have their hands on the actual figures and statistics.

Last edited:
Scalextric?

Reduced range anxiety, and still working after 40 years…

For all us true greens, it’s just a light hearted comment.
A bit of fun if you like…

Sinclair C5 was my first and most loved ev, wet lead acid batteries were far safer than these new fangled lithium jobs, the red mast stopped you being mown down by juggernauts, and yes a reliant robin was a juggernaut!

Please pass this information on to my neighbour whose house has just been totally rebuilt, and also to every breakdown and recovery service, when they believe you I will
I’ll let you do that, not that it will make him feel better if his vehicle caught fire. What was the cause?
Any local news articles?
No propulsion system is yet 100% safe, but electrical ones perhaps have the best chance.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-34919922

I’ll let you do that, not that it will make him feel better if his vehicle caught fire. What was the cause?
Any local news articles?
No propulsion system is yet 100% safe, but electrical ones perhaps have the best chance.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-34919922

Thats the biggest petrochemical depot fire in the UK in the 100+ years of petrol powered motor vehicles. I remember it well we were living in Harpenden at the time 7 miles away and our garage doors were blown in.

We have already had a similar sized fire that took longer to put out that was fuelled by electric cars just down the road at Luton Airport. Unless car park design & sprinkler systems change soon there's going to be more like that.

Its not the cars catching fire thats the problem, its putting the fire out & the increased temperature of burn.

Having just handed my EV back to lease co, after 3 years & 35k miles, these were my thoughts.

Very novel at first, charge at home etc

Charging in the road is both dull & expensive. Even 30 mins at a motorway services was like taking sandpaper to my eyeballs, vs 3 minutes at a pump.

The stealth of a silent engine is fun at first, as is the torque on tap.

However, laying that torque down precisely is a PITA. Wheel spins galore off the line , especially wherever there is loose gravel etc. EV’s ability to lurch off the line while parking is a bit irritating.

Not very engaging once the initial novelty of the acceleration wears off.

Would I get another one? Yes, as a second car for local trips where I rarely/never have to charge on the road. i3S possibly. Not really considered the rest of the pack in that class.

I think they are mostly great in urban centres and local commuters. The price per mile on Octopus or the like is compelling. Great tax breaks as a business owner/leaser.

For fun and holidays? ICE until hydrogen or something else appears.

The stealth of a silent engine is fun at first, as is the torque on tap.

However, laying that torque down precisely is a PITA. Wheel spins galore off the line , especially wherever there is loose gravel etc. EV’s ability to lurch off the line while parking is a bit irritating.
My first EV is a 2024 RWD Model Y Tesla. My experience to date is rather different.

The traction control and EV-specific tyres make it It's almost impossible to spin the rear wheels due to the clever way the car applies the torque to the tarmac. My biker mate even commented on the absolute lack of wheel spin when giving it full beans from standstill, given that it's a RWD.

I detested the rear wheel spin of my old E-Class Coupe and company 3 series BMW of yesteryear, so this was a concern when ordering the RWD over the more expensive Dual Motor 4WD.

Of course, we haven't yet had snow since I had the car to test it fully, but in the heavy rain of late, it's been faultless, with not so much as a single slip on wet roads that my old E Class struggled with.

I think you can pay around £8.99 per month and access a limited number of sites at times when the Tesla usage is below 30% of available supercharger stands or similar. This 'membership for non-Teslas' is an option in the Tesla app.

My other observation. An EV will never have soul. The monikers that even manufacturers I respect like Porsche using 'Turbo' as a model designation is plain silly. As for Ford, Henry would be rolling in disgust in his grave at the bastardisation of the Capri and Mustang names.

No EV, no matter how much BHP is thrown at it in the arms race will elicit the joy of a V6 Busso.

Give me a 147 GTA or even a little 4 pot Turbo for kicks anyday over an EV. Or a V10 BMW. The list is endless and a strong case for every configuration.

The problem with an EV, the engines, BHP aside are essentially generic.

EVs have a place, they are a bridge to cleaner transport. But they are more tool than toy.

I will likely have another EV once I set up the Octopus salary sacrifice scheme. But I will keep the ICE dinosaurs warm in the garage for giggles.

Last edited:
My other observation. An EV will never have soul. The monikers that even manufacturers I respect like Porsche using 'Turbo' as a model designation is plain silly. As for Ford, Henry would be rolling in disgust in his grave at the bastardisation of the Capri and Mustang names.

No EV, no matter how much BHP is thrown at it in the arms race will elicit the joy of a V6 Busso.

Give me a 147 GTA or even a little 4 pot Turbo for kicks anyday over an EV. Or a V10 BMW. The list is endless and a strong case for every configuration.

The problem with an EV, the engines, BHP aside are essentially generic.

EVs have a place, they are a bridge to cleaner transport. But they are more tool than toy.

I will likely have another EV once I set up the Octopus salary sacrifice scheme. But I will keep the ICE dinosaurs warm in the garage for giggles.
Very well said and 100% agree!

As for Ford, Henry would be rolling in disgust in his grave at the bastardisation of the Capri and Mustang names.

He seemed a fan…

He seemed a fan…

I doubt he’d be a fan of the abuse & misuse of the Capri & Mustang lineage was what I was driving at.

Interesting article though.

Last edited: