Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which tyres?

Anthony1

Anthony1

Too young to be old
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I am about to embark on a long trip and my tyres will probably only last for about half of it, so I am planning to replace all four. What recommendations do people have?

I have been quoted for Michelin Primacy 4 103WXL at £776.00, supplied and fitted by National Tyres.

And

Bridgestone T005 103Y XL at £712, supplied and fitted by National Ryres.

Many thanks for any advice.

Hi Anthony, have you tried blackcirles.com? I found them the best when I was looking.

Hi Anthony, have you tried blackcirles.com? I found them the best when I was looking.

Thank you. I was more looking for which tyre people would recommend. This will be my first tyre change.

Sorry misunderstood.
It depends where you will be using it and the conditions.
Many people stick with summer tyres.
Mine came 2nd hand with Bridgestone Turanza summer tyres and I changed to all season tyres as I am frequently in variable conditions (snowing last weekend in Val Thorens even in early May) and I have storage issues with a second set of winter wheels and tyres.
I am using Michelin Cross Climate+ 235/55R17s. These are very directional so I have a Vredestein Quatrac 5 235/55R17 103V as a less-directional spare so can be used on either side.
However some members have gone for chunkier tyres such as BF Goodrich for more offroad capability.
Hope this helps a bit

Take a look at Formula One Autocentres as they are significantly lower priced for the tyres you are looking at.

Personally I'd look at all season tyres, new Bridgestone Weather Control one has good reviews and Michelin Crossclimate + has many recommendations by Cali Owners. SUV versions are more suited to semi offroad use, stiffer sidewall and better mud and stone clearance from the tread.

I have Nokians and notice that the sidespray in the wet is greater than summer tyres. 'V' tread shifts deep water during thunderstorms with ease. Most all season tyres have similar 'V' tread pattern.

I still use the same as factory fitted. Bridgestone Duravis R410 215/65R16 102/100H. I think they wear good (45 000 km front), the only drawback is that they tend to become noisy after +- 15000 km.
Somewhere in the early 2010's (2013-2014?) they were the best choice for VW T5.

If the next tyre change is arriving, I think I will give another brand a go. Maybe Hankook? Or Continental?
They have tyres which give better fuel economy (a

... (at least on paper)

Sorry, I entered too soon before finishing my text.

Just had 4 Cross Climates fitted for £509 with a black circle discount code.

Thank you everyone. I may be able to tyres at trade prices and fitted for free (son works in a garage). I think I will go for All season tyres. As we drive all year round in all sorts of places, 95% on normal roads but with muddy campsites and flooded roads commonplace now, they make sense.

Thank you everyone for your comments and advice.

I have Michelin primacy 4, they have been very good. Time has come for a new set. I am looking for low noise in the tyre, the Michelin primacy 4 seems to be the best… does anyone have any other suggestions??

Tyre labels have the noise level stated in decibels. Look at the Primacy figure and use it as a reference.
All Season treads are noisier than Summer treads.

New Noise Labelling is in Category A - B - C with the db figure.

There are lower rated but not in a Premium Grade.

Good quick deal?

Last edited: