Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tyres - Which Brand?

On this subject I'd be very interested to hear about members experiences , performance , wear and cost of 17 inch winter tyres which are C rated ... many thanks

min 3mm tyre depth in France
Can't find any info to confirm the 3mm minimum.
Did find 1.6mm over all tread area (UK only 75% of area)
Also found that if you have a puncture that there must be no more than 3mm difference in tread depth across that axle, also same Brand/tread pattern. Don't carry a worn to limits spare!!
Seems that if you go to a Garage they will insist on fitting 2 new tyres to that axle and try to say that all 4 must be the same.
Proverbial can of worms relating to tyre laws in France.
gleaned from various forums on tyre issues in France.

Is anyone looking at the speed rating of the tyres they're buying ? My T5 has 4 tyre types listed on the B pillar with speed ratings that range from T (118mph), through H (130mph) and all the way to W (168MPH). While these speeds seem excessive for a California they are the tyres listed as suitable for it. Unfortunately most C (commercial) type tyres seem to come in the R range (106mph). The information on the legality of using a lower speed rating is sketchy. On one site it had this to say..." It is illegal to use unsuitable tyres. The law requires that you fit your vehicle with the correct type and size of tyre for the kind of vehicle you’re driving and the purpose for which you’re using it. This also means ensuring that they’re inflated to the manufacturer's recommended pressure."

My question would be whether an R speed rating (106mph) is appropriate if I'm NOT travelling in excess of 106mph or do I have to meet the H speed rating (130mph) when I'm very unlikely to go that fast.

Any thoughts ?

For further reference see
http://www.ford.co.uk/OwnerServices/VehicleServiceandRepair/Tyres/TyreLaw
http://www.blackcircles.com/general/sidewall

Can't find any info to confirm the 3mm minimum.
Did find 1.6mm over all tread area (UK only 75% of area)
Also found that if you have a puncture that there must be no more than 3mm difference in tread depth across that axle, also same Brand/tread pattern. Don't carry a worn to limits spare!!
Seems that if you go to a Garage they will insist on fitting 2 new tyres to that axle and try to say that all 4 must be the same.
Proverbial can of worms relating to tyre laws in France.
gleaned from various forums on tyre issues in France.

I can't see why one wouldn't have plenty of tread at all times for safety's sake. The UK 1.6mm limit is a dangerous joke. We should be in line with Mainland European countries, especially as we have some of the worst roads.

I can't see why one wouldn't have plenty of tread at all times for safety's sake. The UK 1.6mm limit is a dangerous joke. We should be in line with Mainland European countries, especially as we have some of the worst roads.
Yep Agreed. Mine are 8mm now, as new, plan to change at 3mm.

Mike

Is anyone looking at the speed rating of the tyres they're buying ? My T5 has 4 tyre types listed on the B pillar with speed ratings that range from T (118mph), through H (130mph) and all the way to W (168MPH). While these speeds seem excessive for a California they are the tyres listed as suitable for it. Unfortunately most C (commercial) type tyres seem to come in the R range (106mph). The information on the legality of using a lower speed rating is sketchy. On one site it had this to say..." It is illegal to use unsuitable tyres. The law requires that you fit your vehicle with the correct type and size of tyre for the kind of vehicle you’re driving and the purpose for which you’re using it. This also means ensuring that they’re inflated to the manufacturer's recommended pressure."

My question would be whether an R speed rating (106mph) is appropriate if I'm NOT travelling in excess of 106mph or do I have to meet the H speed rating (130mph) when I'm very unlikely to go that fast.

Any thoughts ?

As far as I can find you must have tyres with a load rating that meets or exceeds the recommended axle weight and a Speed rating that meets or exceeds the maximum speed of your vehicle as defined by the manufacturer.
The California is defined by DVLA as M1, a Diesel Car.

Any thoughts ?

Insurance companies appear to work on the basis that as higher speed rated tyres can cope with greater loadings and stresses during fast cornering etc they are to be as originally specified.
I have found in the past that an H rated tyre on a car gives a smoother more rough surface tolerance than stiffer high speed rated ones.
I tend to think that if you look at the VW Brochure where it says 'optimised for efficiency' is the real answer. VW are trying to get the lowest fuel and emissions data to quote on a vehicle specification. High speed tyres will have less drag than lower speed ones.

The Regulations are clear:

The Motor Vehicles (Approval) Regulations 2001
6. Each wheel on each axle shall be equipped with a tyre which has a load capacity such that when the axle is loaded to its maximum permitted axle weight, the weight transmitted to the road surface by that tyre does not exceed that load capacity.

7. The speed capability of all tyres fitted shall be not less than the maximum design speed of the vehicle.

The Regulations are clear:

The Motor Vehicles (Approval) Regulations 2001
6. Each wheel on each axle shall be equipped with a tyre which has a load capacity such that when the axle is loaded to its maximum permitted axle weight, the weight transmitted to the road surface by that tyre does not exceed that load capacity.

7. The speed capability of all tyres fitted shall be not less than the maximum design speed of the vehicle.
Then the r speed rating which seems to be the most common for commercial 'C' tyres is insufficient, as a Cali will easily exceed 106mph. It's seems impossible to find 215/65 R16C 102/100H as listed on my B pillar (T5 2007). I might ignore the C as I can find everything else ie, size/speed/load.

For some days I'm using the Nokian Weaterproof 215 / 65r16, they are very good compared to the Continental, both on wet, dirt roads and mud / grass .....

I just ordered 5 of these.. Michelin Latitude Cross DT 235/55 R17 103H X and 5 steels to match..

Then the r speed rating which seems to be the most common for commercial 'C' tyres is insufficient, as a Cali will easily exceed 106mph. It's seems impossible to find 215/65 R16C 102/100H as listed on my B pillar (T5 2007). I might ignore the C as I can find everything else ie, size/speed/load.
So don't stick to the sticker on your van then....hilarious!!

So, I've replaced the tyres with a set of Continental VanContact 100. The older tyres still have at least 6mm of tread on them but I've never been happy with their wet grip (braking OK but cornering poor) and they were a cheapo brand Hi-Fly 2000 with a T rating for speed (118mph). They didn't wear well. The Contis are the same spec as the original tyres 215/65/R16C 102/100H with a B rating for both fuel economy and wet grip, 71dB for noise. All up £427 for a set of 4 (fitted) from Blackcircles. I did also consider the Pirelli Scorpions which are a bit cheaper. I have them on a BMW X3 and they are excellent for handling and wear well on the lighter car, but they have the XL spec rater than the C spec (commercial) specified by VW. They're probably much of a muchness but I had Conti VanContacts on my T4 California and was very pleased with them. I'll also get my tracking done while I'm there as there's a slight jiggle at 80mph and I'll be doing some German cruising this summer. The garage that Blackcircles recommended for fitting is well know to me as a very professional outfit.

I just ordered 5 of these.. Michelin Latitude Cross DT 235/55 R17 103H X and 5 steels to match..
I looked at them but I don't do any winter driving at all to speak of. Other than to keep the Cali 'maintained' it spends the winter warm and garaged while my BMW does all the dirty, wet stuff. Even then the VW only pops out for a drive on dry sunny days. I hope the Michelins live up to their billing.

Anyone having the issue with sawtooth tyres on the rear? Apparently a common problem with VWs.

Mine seems to be having a problem on the o/s rear, which has only become apparent the last 1000miles. (Sounds like a wheel bearing)

Anyone having the issue with sawtooth tyres on the rear? Apparently a common problem with VWs.

Mine seems to be having a problem on the o/s rear, which has only become apparent the last 1000miles. (Sounds like a wheel bearing)
Feathering can also be caused by a failing shock absorber.

Must have been tired last night. The issue is on the n/s rear only. Going to have the tracking checked as suggested by VW.

My cali has managed to munch its way through a set of front tyres in around 10000 miles (which seems quite quick!). I have 255/45 R18 103Y which are Extra Load rated and until now I have been using Continental ContiSport 5's.

Have been looking at other brands, whilst there doesn't seem much of a saving financially I'm after something that still gives good performance but maybe lasts a little longer.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Hi,

My Cali is a similar age to yours. It is a Berghaus SE 180, 2011. I have done 48000 miles and need a fourth set of tyres now. I had the same originals as yours I suspect. 255/45 R18 Conti Sports fitted to the 18" Dakar Alloys. Since then I have fitted two sets of Uniroyal Rain Sport 3s. Each set has done ca. 16000 miles. I too have been alarmed at the rate of wear on the front of the vehicle, so have swapped front to back at 9000 miles or thereabouts. Not great mileage but then I travel back and forth between the Scottish East and West coasts and tend not to hang about as it is usually a 4-5 hour drive.

The Conti Sports were positively dangerous on anything the least bit slippery. Suffice to say, when it snowed I could barely get out of my completely flat drive. The Rainsports were much better on slippery surfaces but seem quite noisey.

I am now wondering what to replace them with.

What did you settle for? Anyone else?

In the end the choice in 255/45/18 103Ys was fairly limited so I have ordered Continental Premium Contact 6s. Anyone have any experience of these?

My 2007 SE180 has 16in wheels and when bought last year had Hankook tyres. I haven't been very happy with them on wet roads, sometimes they just feel a little uncertain, and I've had problems on wet grass where most of my camping is done, so I've been thinking about changing to all-terrain tyres.
Today I had an emergency trip to my friendly local tyrefitters, as someone noticed a nail in my front tyre - bit scary, I drove 170 miles on Friday and home again on Sunday and have NO idea whether this was in the tyre at the time!

They mended the tyre for me as the nail was right in the middle of the tread, and I had the discussion about all-terrains, only to find that they aren't available in the 215/65R16 in a high enough load rating, so it was suggested I go for a commercial Michelin winter tyre but use it all year. Although the compound is softer it probably won't matter as I only do about 5000 miles a year - and I only need to put them on the front.

It sounds good to me, anyone have any comments?