Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

who turns off gas (at rear) when driving?

Do you turn-off the gas (at rear) when driving?

• Yes - always

Votes: 71 64.5%
  • Yes - on motorway journeys only

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • No - never

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Occasionally

Votes: 9 8.2%

• Total voters
acer

acer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
An obvious thread, but I can't see it discussed in detail when searching.

Perhaps worth a poll? I wonder if I've pressed the right buttons to make this happen?

I used to completely decouple the regulator until I found out most just turned it off!

Can we have an "occasionally " button?

Since it's new, we tend to turn it off at the bottle and under the hob, but I forget most of the time and remember a day or so later. Only had 3 trips out so far.

Depends on the country! In France it's forbidden to drive with an open gas bottle, for example.

Under sink isolator for me...
then red lever if ferry insists..

if you disconnect the valve you would also have to screw the carry handle back in.

Anyone that does not turn it off is nuts! If you had a side on collision on the nearside by the kitchen area and the pipe was ruptured gas would be pouring out ! You would not only be putting yourself in danger but also the emergency services and people around you..

It takes 2 mins to do, is that worth the risk?

Anyone that does not turn it off is nuts! If you had a side on collision on the nearside by the kitchen area and the pipe was ruptured gas would be pouring out ! You would not only be putting yourself in danger but also the emergency services and people around you..

It takes 2 mins to do, is that worth the risk?
What about your ruptured fuel tank in that scenario ?
Or the valve head getting snapped off at the cylinder?
or the 747 landing on you whilst driving?

Do you also disconnect your aux battery to prevent an electrical fire (more likely)?

What about your ruptured fuel tank in that scenario ?
Or the valve head getting snapped off at the cylinder?
or the 747 landing on you whilst driving?

Do you also disconnect your aux battery to prevent an electrical fire (more likely)?

I agree with Billy, it may just be minor but every small thing helps reduce risk, also the fuel tank is much more protectected compared to the small pipes used for the gas system.

The red isolator in the cupboard is pointless as it only isolates a small section of pipe to the burners.

Is this going to be another thread that turns into an argument?

Under sink isolator for me...
then red lever if ferry insists..

Do you mean red lever? In ours the red lever at the bottom of the rear cupboard was the water drain.
To turn off the gas it is a black screw knob inside the water tank under the black plastic cover.

For what it is worth we used to turn it off properly (black knob) most of the time. We often forgot especially when on holiday and touring around away from the campsite. Probably the worst time to forget when you are on foreign roads and a bit lost....

Is this going to be another thread that turns into an argument?

Sure it is , like many other useless polls.
Just do what you think is best , others don't bother what you do , some don't even bother things they do themselves...

It pops it's head up regularly but the result is the same.

Some do, some don't, some forget, some don't want to.

My own preference is to have it turned off. In fact it is part of my pre-flight checks ..... "Hook-up disconnected...."...."roof locked and stowed"...... "Gas off"..... "Mother-in-law's ejector seat on and armed".......

Last edited:
An obvious thread, but I can't see it discussed in detail when searching.

Perhaps worth a poll? I wonder if I've pressed the right buttons to make this happen?
We always turn it off, surely better safe than sorry!

That's done. Interested to know whether that is occasionally, because of how safety conscious your mood is? Or, does it depend on where / how you are driving?

Its mainly when I remember.......doh!

Yep, we turn it off . . . possibly slightly paranoid, but we use the seat belts too . . .

Ok its probably safer to turn the gas off, but how would you be able to brew up on a boring motorway drive.
Obviously only possible with two in the cab.
lol.

:Iamsorry
Yes, take the point. Tricky that.

Could always put the roof up and go for a nap upstairs if really bored and feeling sleepy?

(ps I'm sorry too)
(pps and should be working, not planning the next trip)

Do you mean red lever? In ours the red lever at the bottom of the rear cupboard was the water drain.
To turn off the gas it is a black screw knob inside the water tank under the black plastic cover.

For what it is worth we used to turn it off properly (black knob) most of the time. We often forgot especially when on holiday and touring around away from the campsite. Probably the worst time to forget when you are on foreign roads and a bit lost....
Sorry it was joke, just dump the water out for them :)

Everyone can do what they want, Actually I thought the poll was for "Do you pick your nose whilst driving?"

Honestly it has always been my intention, but nevertheless I repeatedly found myself forgetting it. It might have been a beginner bummer, because I am becoming better and better. A lot better actually.

We experienced a side collision this april, on the opposite side (RH), it was really powerfull and we made a rollover totally wrecking the cali (you know the story). Tha damage to the car was bad all over, but surprisingly not as bad as expected on the place off impact. So I believe an impact must be really extreme to dismantle the gas bottle protected in the water tank. I am not saying that it is not possible, but the impact will have to be severe.

Still - remember to turn the thing off.

Sorry it was joke, just dump the water out for them :)

Everyone can do what they want, Actually I thought the poll was for "Do you pick your nose whilst driving?"
Now that sounds really dangerous.

Back