Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

who turns off gas (at rear) when driving?

Do you turn-off the gas (at rear) when driving?

• Yes - always

Votes: 71 64.5%
  • Yes - on motorway journeys only

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • No - never

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Occasionally

Votes: 9 8.2%

• Total voters
Hmmmm? I wonder if, just for giggles, VW carried out rear impact tests to comply with Euro law for that type of vehicle fitted with gas bottles?

Beach owners don't of course have this dilemma;)

No … but some might have a loose gas bottle coming around in an accident … :Nailbiting
Plus a selection of heaters, fridges, drawer units, storage crates etc.....

Apart from the danger of ruptured gas lines in the event of an accident, there is also the possibility of leakage from one of the joints, leading to gas build up in the kitchen units.

The leakage of gas from the bottle is very real, I had the use of an explosive gas detector for a spell and left it in the gas compartment while it was turned on for a cuppa. Before the kettle was boiled the alarm was going off and fortunately I was able to tighten everything up and the escape was stopped.

It you 'turn off the gas' as suggested, where do you actually isolate the risk?

On my van, the bottle is in the water tank too, with a screw-off gas tight lid. So to isolate mine, I have to remove that lid and turn off the actual gas regulator. Is that what T5/6 owners are doing? Isolating any further into the system must still leave a risk.

Out of interest, the layout of my van sees the gas bottle very centrally located in the van, which I guess helps in a crash.

Apart from the danger of ruptured gas lines in the event of an accident, there is also the possibility of leakage from one of the joints, leading to gas build up in the kitchen units.

The leakage of gas from the bottle is very real, I had the use of an explosive gas detector for a spell and left it in the gas compartment while it was turned on for a cuppa. Before the kettle was boiled the alarm was going off and fortunately I was able to tighten everything up and the escape was stopped.

@motacyclist: God you had the alarm!

In this case, when the gas is inside the water tank, the gas should be able to escape thru the hole in the bottom, because gas is heavier than air. But it is not a good situation anyway. Actually I believe the leak issue is a lot more relevant, than the accident. I guess a gas detector is a good thing to have in the car, if you carry gas.

@T4WFA: We open the rear closet, remove the shelf, open the security lid in the water tank, and turn of the gas on the valve (some even unmount the valve).

n this case, when the gas is inside the water tank, the gas should be able to escape thru the hole in the bottom, because gas is heavier than air.
Yes that's true. But being tight, I could bear the waste of gas! :D

@T4WFA: We open the rear closet, remove the shelf, open the security lid in the water tank, and turn of the gas on the valve (some even unmount the valve).
Thanks Kmann. That's quite a task (as it is in mine). I doubt it's beyond man's ability to design something simpler than would encourage greater compliance.

This has already been done to death at least twice.
All personal opinion, not worth arguing about.

Depends on the country! In France it's forbidden to drive with an open gas bottle, for example.

Never knew that. Maybe that's why the French side of the tunnel don't bother much about checking if you have turned it off :rolleyes:

I guess a gas detector is a good thing to have in the car, if you carry gas.
Incidentally, the one I was using had four sensors and also checked for oxygen level, hydrogen sulphide gas and carbon monoxide. While I had it, I tried it inside the van and found that there was a significant reduction in oxygen levels, so now I always open one of the windows slightly. (Had I read the manual it says to do this anyway :confused:)

There was no carbon monoxide detected though, and of course, as we hadn't been eating beans there was no hydrogen sulphide (bad egg gas) :D

Turned off and disconnected when driving or even remove the bottle during winter (and store it in the cellar).

I turn it off at the regulator - doing the unscrewing the black cover and screwing it back on and putting the shelf back - every time I move - so far, except when I forget. Now I leave a note 'GAS' in front of the instruments.
I don't worry about it too much though.

Sure it is , like many other useless polls.
Just do what you think is best , others don't bother what you do , some don't even bother things they do themselves...
Useless poll? The main reason I use this forum is my interest in what other people do. The poll function is therefore very "useful". Furthermore, once I've read the arguments for and against, I then form my own opinion as to what I think is best. I think I'm with the majority here.

Hey! Perhaps, that's worth a poll?:)

Hmmmm. I wonder what the incidence of ruptured fuel tank, which is plastic, compared to ruptured Gas cylinder, which is metal and housed in a safety cell within the water tank, is?
Should we have a Poll as to if people fill their tank or only top up to 1/4 when travelling?
I know Diesel is less flammable but can still burn and don't forget VW also make a petrol California now, not available in U.K. But is on the Continent.

Possibly more likely that the fuel or gas lines will rupture before the gas cylinder or fuel tank. Vehicle fuel has to be pumped out whereas the gas will discharge itself if the line goes with the valve open.

Possibly more likely that the fuel or gas lines will rupture before the gas cylinder or fuel tank. Vehicle fuel has to be pumped out whereas the gas will discharge itself if the line goes with the valve open.
Agree and looking at the line runs, materials used and length of the respective lines then the chance of a gas line open rupture compared with a fuel line rupture is minimal.:thumb

Turned off and disconnected when driving or even remove the bottle during winter (and store it in the cellar).
A cellar is the last place you should be storing a gas bottle, If the valve leaks you will fill the cellar with gas and as its heavier than air it will just collect at the lowest point until you ignite it by turning on the lights. Best place is outside so any gas can disperse.

And before you all say the valves never leak, Ive got a cylinder at the end of the garden which leaks even with the transport handle screwed in.

The poll also needs another option - Yes - When I remember.

Ours is off most of the time when the van is used daily, the only time it tends to get left on is when we are away camping & we forget to turn it off if we go out for the day.

A cellar is the last place you .... Best place is outside so any gas can disperse.

Good point andyinlution. Thanks for that. I am going to keep it in the bike shack - outside. With plenty of fresh air. I only have to check what the temperature limit is (we sometimes do ha e -15 Celcius).

Good point andyinlution. Thanks for that. I am going to keep it in the bike shack - outside. With plenty of fresh air. I only have to check what the temperature limit is (we sometimes do ha e -15 Celcius).
I think you will find that storing it at low temperatures will do No harm. Temperature is more important when using it at cold temperatures.
Butane vapourises above -1c, and Propane above -42c.

So at -15c Butane will not work and Propane will.

Back